style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4267 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey all, I know you have probably heard this a million times and I have tried to search for an answer without much luck...

I have arrears with my council tax which I pay £20 pw via online payments.

When I came home from work one day last week I had a letter from Swift Bailiffs.

He handed this to my daughter and left.

The only reason I can recall for them to hand it over to Swift is because I missed one week due to my purse being lost and I needed a new debit card issued to me.

When I opened the letter it had two accounts on on letter with two call out fees?

Is this correct?

Since he only came once wouldn't he only be able to charge me for one fee not the two?

Also when I rang... yes I know silly me... he refused to arrange any kind of re-payment even though I told him I would be speaking to the council tax before anything would be arranged.

He then tried to say he HAS to have access to my home before an arrangement can be agreed...

(Now I'm pretty sure this is nonsense... but if I am wrong I would appreciate someone letting me know)..

. I told him that would not be happening.

So please if anyone couldnt enlighten me on the charges he has added and anything I would really appreciate it.

Thank you

x

How old is your daughter - under 18, under 12?

Whatever you do deny him access to your home. There is no law that says you have to deal with or speak to a Bailiff. If it were me I would keep on paying direct to the Council although you may have to budget for lawful fees. It does sound as if you have 2 Liability Orders against you. You need to speak to someone at the Council and ask the following questions:

1 - how many Liability Orders they have against you

2 - the dates they were obtained

3 - the addresses they were for

4 - the period of time each covers

5 - how much each one was for

6 - how much is still outstanding

7 - the dates they were passed on for enforcement

8 - the dates & amounts of any payments

Send off to the Bailiffs for a breakdown of the fees they have charged, here's an example use and adapt at will. Send initially by email followed by a copy in the post.

"From:

My Name

My Address

To:

Acme Bailiff Co

Bailiff House

Ref: Account No: 123456

Dear Sir

With reference to the above account, Can you please provide me with a breakdown of the charges.

This includes:

a - the time & date of any Bailiff action that incurred a Fee.

b - the reason for the fee.

c - the name(s) of the Bailiff(s) that attended on each occasion a Fee was charged.

d - the name(s) of the Court(s) the Bailiff(s) was/were Certificated at.

e - the date of the Certification.

This is not a Subject Access Request under the Data Protection Act S7 1998 so does not incur a fee of £10. You are obliged to provide this information.

I require this information within 14 days.

Yours faithfully

Ripped off customer"

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My daughter's 16. I have two orders for the total amount of £500...

What I couldn't understand was the two call out chargers when he only came once... I understand they are two different accounts but surely to charge twice is a little unfair.

Have a read of this http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?358537-Local-Government-Ombudsman-Report-Issued-in-the-quot-public-interest-quot-........Bailiff-fees , you only need to read the first post to get the gist of it. I was hoping your daughter may have been younger as that could have been cause for complaint but he appears to have done things correctly by handing over & retiring.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In my opinion you are better off side stepping the Bailiff and paying the Council direct. This may be done via online banking, Council website or automated phone, make sure you have the correct reference numbers. Yes it upsets the Bailiff - but so what, you will have to allow for any lawful fees though.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thank you that was very helpful.

I will continue to pay via online and contact the council tax to find out what has gone on. Hopefully something can be re-arranged without having to deal with the bailiffs.

I can guarantee the Council will say they cannot help and you must deal with Mr Numpty. They can help they just choose not to, if you need to speak to someone at the Council try for someone higher up the food chain as those at the bottom have a script they are now allowed to deviate from.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

as above payments direct to council

if Mr bailiff does turn up deny him a levy if you have a car move it away not on your drive

hes/she are powerless will talk dribble and lie don't :playball: ,all they could ever do is hand it back to the council

there s no right of entry for them

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

If the muppet clamps or otherwise interferes with it with proof of disability displayed, it's formal complaint time imho, as seizure of the property of Motability Finance will not go well for him.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Right so if he clamps the car he's in trouble.... gotcha :D Thank you so much for the info

It is on a lease, and the bailiff cannot levy or seize a car on lease.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!