HELP I MEAN HELP landlord which housing laws right have been broken by landlord

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4250 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

:-x

i moved in to a house with a 6mth short hold lease and wasrushed in to it saying it had 3 people after it so payed deposit and waspromised all work and house wouldhing be done up before i moved in when theypurcused it had been emtey for years and and just paint walls did no cleaningect was a mess said i was responable for windows if broke and report anythingelse well when got there could believe it and as time went on never did repairswas at times left with no water and had no heating in the freeze of dec2010 andso on loads of things mold everywhere washing mechine water ran in to yard werekids went all time left down stairs toilet not working for about a year andwhen i moved out as had no choice with him and his staff bulling and if moanedwas told would be kicked out hada break down and when left the was somecealrance and repainting butall the other stuff he added on was like that wheni moved in was caught out lying at court charging for things twice lied aboutwhen i moved out for extra rent chagred for repairs not done as i had pics andcan prove all even the judge knew he was lying and didnt have right recipts ieonly just inside the law still as he took the case and my parents as guartoreven when seen to been lying was still given 3 times what it would of cost torepaint and remove thing so my mum and dad got a 2800 bill which am paying andthat was the judge nearly knock 1000 off i want him to not get away withtreating my mum when ill me and others in this way i can prove most things but things like going with out heating and water is a couple of old letters i wrote complaining to him which is when he started getting really nasty and every time i tried to do anything about it he threatened to kick me out and as i was was have really bad mental health issue at the time just hide away and never did anything and in the end i was forced to move out for fear of being made homeless with 3 children:mad2::x please any help or advice would be geatly accepted and used thanks very much in advance

Hi found your post a little hard to read as it was a bit of a block of words but it seems although you had issues when you were living in the property and when you left the landlord took you to court for the money for the repairs to the property, is this correct? if not what did he take you to court for?

It would seem that the judge did not agree with all the charges he was trying to claim and the bill was reduced but it was still found that money was owing.

I am not sure that there is anything that you can do about the state of the property when you were living there as you are no longer a tenant.

I think if you are now living elsewhere it might be best just to draw a line under this, although I am sure that if there is anything that you can do someone will be along to tell you soon, but IMO it may just be best to draw a line under everything as it will just cause your more stress and worry.

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

:|was on 6 mth short hold tenancy was not renewed after that even though i lived there 2 yrs nearly funny how my guartors was a 7 yrs rolling one hey but mine was not and was always being threatend with being kicked out am a single mum of 3 and had and still have mental health issue and near enough had a break downlast year and he was told this many time and used it to intimdate and treaten so wouldnt complain as i thought i had no right and was not in any state to sore it out anyway

just some of the issue i had when living there :-xi looked round when he had just bought it and it had stood unocupied for a few yrs me and my mum and her friend viewed it and was told would be full done up cleaned carpeted and all repairs done before i moved in and that loads of people were after it so was put persure on to put depoist down and it all went wrong from there was paint and 2 roo:x:-x:evil:ms and hall way had carpet rest was wood floor that had been in there when they took over and never cleaned before paint and no glossing do bet you can guess what it look like never did repair maybe 2 or 3 but worse from start there was mold through out and dirt patio door never locked first winter there dec 2010 boiler broke i rang dinner time friday to be told no one would come out on a friday couldnt get work and said you can if you pay them to wouldnt send anyone said it would be monday was tuesday before they came so in - cold weather me and my 3 kids all had to sleep in room with olny little elec fire and no hot water for 4 day was that cold we had 2 layers of clothes and quits and my sons of 3 had blue lips from the day i moved in waste pipe for washing mechine was not fitted in garden and run down the back and side of house when ever did washing was reported at least 8 times twice i have been left with not water once for 2 day and the other 3 as tap flew off in bathroom and had to turn water off as it was going everywhere and only way to stop and it took that long for someone to come and fix it same thing next time only this time is was scolding hot water and nearly burnt me good job was not the kids in the again took day for anyone to come down stair toilet broke and wouldnt flush was reported loads of times was never fixed was like that for the year before i had to move at after nearly two years of this one of his staff rang my mum said they was going to court to kick me out and messaged me the same so i had to go to council as was going to be homeless if not then said he never and was not anyway moved out the was some cleaning and some thing needed moving out thought i had two weeks to get out so rushed and left things some repainting needed to and i wrote to him from start said i would dicusses what i owed and pay weekly ignored all my letter took my guartors to court made up loads of repairs charged for ones he hadnt said i lived there till march to charge extra rent when moved out in jan have council tenacy showing when it started he was shown to be lying in court and chargeing for thing not fixed even the judge said recitps were just inside law as he son owen mantenace company and there was no break down or prove they had been and he has charged for things that were broke when i moved in judge still gave him 2800 but it was my mum and dad he took and they didnt want to know about his treatnent of us and this is just a very nfew things but the ones am sure are againts the law :-x:x please please help me

I would add your mother agreed to be your G and LL has right to pursue her for your debt, as awarded by Court.

It is wrong to assume LL lied in Court, all he was required to do was provide estimates for repair at tradesman rates and provide evidence of condition at start & end of T. Unreasonable costs would have been reduced by Judge who would also allow for life expectancy, length of T & fair wear & tear, all of which he appears to have considered by reducing the claim by nearly £1000. It will cost you more money to pursue LL in Court, with little expectation of winning.

Assisted Blonde offers good advice. Move on with your life!

yes he took my mum and dad but because of his lies and my ill health and it not being me he took it was hard for me to defend them but am not drawing a line under it he bullied me and my mum even when i asked loads of times to come to me as she founf out she had cancer he justed used this to put more presure on us the judge said hi was just inside the law and i wasnt in coyrt to defended most of his claims and am sure he must of breeched my contract ie with the fact no repairs or up keep were done i said i would pay for any repairs not for stuff he hadnt done or was broke when i moved in all his staff were bullish and he tred not to get me to go to court he even got his mp friend to try and complain about my friend who was going to be a wittness because he thought she was doing it part of her job works with children in need through council but she was it was personal as my friend she had to have tribule which nothing happehed as she did nothing wrong never ever mentioned her but then they put pressure on her not to come to court and she didnt he has been reported before by many other but they have never followed it up because of his tackicts and bulling

he did lie in court and i can prove it and he never proved what was like when i moved in and when i moved out and lying i think i would know if i had moved out two mths later and he tried to charge for something twice and thing he hadnt fixed that were broke when i moved in and still are i took pics on the morning off court

move on me and my kids were treated little crap left in crap condition and they were not estimates he said they were the price he didnt hear my side of things as it was not me he took to court it not about money it about landlords treating people badly i dont care if i dont win but i want it looking in to somewhere its time to impower myself and not feel scwered over when having a break down

Can you please pause for breath, break post into sentences & paragraphs and add some Capitals, comma's and full stops along the way. A solid wall of text is not easy to follow.

Report each problem and background in seperate paragraphs.

Also please do not start new thread for existing post, it only confuses people & informed advice will generally be similar.

Feather, can you please do as advised and repost your problem. If you had included some full stops, commas, I might have have been able to add the paragraphs for you. However, you havent and it is not easy to understand what you are asking of us.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi Feather.

From what I can tell, your tenancy has ended, and your ex-landlord has taken your parents (guarantors) to court and successfully sued them for £2800 - am I correct?

I have to be honest here, as you've left the property I'm not sure what you can do now. Unfortunately, the Court isn't there to decide if you were badly treated as a tenant - it's there to make a decision on whether you owe your landlord any money either through unpaid rent or damage to the property. You can't use the fact he's a rubbish landlord as a defence against owing him money, I'm afraid.

As far as I can tell, nothing that you've described in your post is against the law, either. Sorry Flower. :sad:

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

If I've been helpful, please click my star. :oops:

sorry was on one last night will repost after this and it's not about money am paying him i have been since the day i moved out making weekly payments in to his account i had no choice but to leave am sure it would be a breech of contract,

it about landlords like him mistreating people and using the and loop holes to get away with it i have looked in to him and i am not the first tenant for him to treat in this way and he even say's on his site he is the chairman of the local landlords association which i thought was to set out codes of conduct ect and he broke nearly all of them just with his and his staff bullish behaviuors no one has every took it anywhere as they are in the same situation as i was fear of being homeless and the fact that he knew and used that i was dessprate and had and still am having mental health problems and my mother who last year was dianoised with cancer and i ask time and time again for him to deal with me ,

and rent owed i dont i move out in jan and i can prove this and he said that i didnt move out till march and has charged rent till then and at 450 a mth not fair i dont think and really dont see why i should have to pay for repairs that were needed to be done when i moved in which i reported many times and nearly 90% of repairs were never done in court i didnt see any of the stuff he put in as it was my mum and dad that were sent it all if i had i would of been able to give what they needed to show the truth he was even shown to be lying about somethings ie repairs he tried charging for when i had picture showing he hadnt done them taken the morning of court,

am sure leaving a single mum with 3 young children with no heating for 4 days in the middle of winter and without water for days leave mold with out sorting it i was spraying it every other week and as for repairs the only repairs that were need were ones that was there from the start and ie the toilet that broke due ages and the pump breaking was left unfixed for a year and was not fixed when i left yes there was some clear up my kids ripped a feather pillow so it was stuck everywhere and they had drawn on the wall ie need for repainting and some stuff need to be moved ie 1 wardrobe and mattress some shoes a couple of other little bit in kitchen but most of it i bagged up and put it all out side for collection,

when i moved in it had been un used for years took me and my friend 2 weeks to clean and was always kept clean but in the last mth before i left after having a break down before xmas and more threats of him and his staff and still wouldnt come and fix things told my mum he was taking me to court to kick me out and nearly ended up having another break down the clearing and paint and repairs to some coving the my son put hole in would be no more that 1000 he took my mum and dad for nearly 4000 that house would look like a place if he had spent anywhere near that on it with his dodge recipts,

was on 6 mth short hold tenancy was not renewed after that even though i lived there 2 yrs nearly funny how my guartors was a 7 yrs rolling one hey but mine was not and was always being threatend with being kicked out am a single mum of 3 and had and still have mental health issue and had a break downlast year and he was told this many time and used it to intimdate and treaten so wouldnt complain as i thought i had no right and was not in any state 0f mine to sort it out anyway,

just some of the issue i had when living there i looked round when he had just bought it and it had stood unocupied for a few yrs me and my mum and her friend viewed it and was told would be full done up cleaned carpeted and all repairs done before i moved in and that loads of people were after it so was put perssure on to put depoist down and it all went wrong from there was painted with cheap matt cream so couldn't wipe wall as it would come off and did the same to kitchen cuboards but with blue and half the front room 1 bedroom and hall way had carpet rest was wood floor that had been in there when they took over and never cleaned before paint and no glossing done bet you can guess what it look like never did repairs maybe 2 or 3,

but worse from start there was mold through out patio door never locked first winter there dec 2010 boiler broke i rang dinner time friday to be told no one would come out on a friday couldnt get worker and i said you can if you pay them to he wouldnt send anyone said it would be monday but was tuesday before they came so in - whatever it was cold weather me and my 3 kids all had to sleep in room with only little elec fire and no hot water for 4 day was that cold we had 2 layers of clothes and quits and my sons of 3 had blue lips,

from the day i moved in waste pipe for washing mechine was not fitted and ran into the garden and down the back and side of house wheneveri did the washing was reported at least 8 times twice i have been left with not water at all once for 2 day and the other 3 and a close friend who work with children in needed of help for the council wanted me to let her get involved in officially water went off as tap flew off in bathroom and had to turn water off as it was going everywhere and only way to stop and it took that long for someone to come and fix it same thing next time only this time is was scolding hot water and nearly burnt me good job it was me and was not the kids again took days for anyone to come down stairs toilet broke and wouldnt flush was reported loads of times was never fixed was like that for the year,

i had to move at out after nearly two years of this one of his staff rang my mum said they was going to court to kick me out and messaged me the same so i had to go to council as was going to be homeless if not and then said he never and was not going to when trying to get a house off the council i told them everything and they want to come and look roind to access it to either forse him to do the repairs or move me but i got some were of them anyway moved out there was some cleaning and some thing needed moving out thought i had two weeks to get out so rushed and left things some repainting needed to when in court he had to take 50 pictures of the same room as it was only really the kids that was badly in need of repainting so he took loads of close ups to try and make it look like other rooms big fail on that one

and i wrote to him from start said i would dicusses what i owed and pay weekly he ignored all my letter took my guartors to court made up loads of repairs charged for ones he hadnt even done said i lived there till march to charge extra rent when moved out in jan have council tenacy showing when it started and a letter giving my new address and told him to contact in reguards to money when he did i just payed 10 pounds a week he was shown to be lying in court and charging for thing he had not fixed even the judge said receipts were just inside law as he son owned company that did repairs and was all done by self employed in house works ie looks like own bussiness but only work for him and there was no break down to shown what all the money went to ie labor ect or prove that they had even been and he has charged for things that were broke when i moved in judge still gave him 2800 but it was my mum and dad he took and they didnt want to know about his treatnent of us and this is just a very nfew things but the ones am sure are againts the law please please help me

OK, did you report any of this to the local housing authority while you were actually in the house, Feathers?

I can see that you're very upset about this, but I'm not sure that there's anything you can do now it's actually been to court. Did your Mum and Dad never discuss the details of what he was claiming for with you before the court case?

I do agree with you that landlords shouldn't be allowed to let out sub-standard accommodation. The problem here is that you maybe should have allowed your friend from the council to get involved - unless you have kept photographic evidence of the problems that you had, there's not a lot you can do now. Even if you do have evidence, I'm still not sure what road you can go down.

What would you like to achieve here? I mean, are you worried about trying to find a way to reduce the amount of money that your parents have to repay? Would you like something done about the landlord letting out sub-standard accomodation? It's very hard to know how to help you without knowing what you'd like to get out of this.

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

well things like him charging for extra rent i wouldn't mind back as you know i moved out to mths before he said i did it's not really the money what my mum and dad have been charged because of course i am paying this i wouldnt leave them to i have always tried to get him to deal with me it get me mad how he can lie and be shown to be but still get away with it i told the council of conditions when i put in to housing for somewhere to live i do have some picture and i could get wittness statements off neighbours as well as family and friends and i am going to ask my mum for all the court records ect,

even if i dont win anything i just want him to know what he did is wrong i was forsed in to leaving and no at the time as he knows and was told many times i had a breakdown my marriage had broken down and was getting over years of mental abuse from ex but even he would give me a statement and wittness in court and we dont talk i just dont want to sit here and do nothing its taken mths for me to be in a place to even like of challaging him and he was in the prosses of takeing my mum and dad to court and thought it would be better to deal with my stuff after

this all happen in jan and it only just went to court last week with him putting it in a court 400 miles away to start with so they had to appile to have it moved here and now within a couple of days am trying to see if there is anything i can do about he lack of consern for the people he rents to all the way through he has been bulling and agessesive which is why most dont stand up to him even if i just had my chance to defened what he did and have my say and have some look into him and try and make sure he does not do this again,

i it sounds like i left loads of mess extra i didnt it would of even took a day to clean not like when i moved in and it took me and a friend a week and if i had not been in such bad mental health i wouldnt of stood for it i did write a couple of letters to him complaining about repairs and being left with no heating and water ect one ealry jan 2011 and again about 4/5 mths later i still have copies of these and had the wittnessed ie signed by a friend as at the time i didnt have internet or email to sent copy as prove i sent it and i have copys of all letter and sent to him since i have left have never had a replie to any, i just dont want him having nothing happen to him i paid 450 a mth for nearly 2 yrs to live in crap condition payed 300 off before court and now will have to pay parents bill of 2800 he is laughing and taking advatage of people in need

If you moved out in Jan without serving valid NTQ, then you wil be liable for continued rent. Even if LL had served Notice on you, this does not allow you to move move out early without valid NTQ. It appears you were in SPT so dates are critical.

"it about landlords like him mistreating people and using the and loop holes to get away with it "

and some tenants don't avoid their resps??

i did give him notice and a women from his office even came and looked round 2 days before i moved out and said it would need a bit of a repaint and nothing else so were do the 4000 come from out of the sky i know i will never get my money back and i dont care really i just dont want him to get away with bulling taking advatage and ripping me of when i was at my worse time in my life and his behaviuor only made it worse and sorry but what does SPT and RESPS stand for

i did give him notice and a women from his office even came and looked round 2 days before i moved out and said it would need a bit of a repaint and nothing else so were do the 4000 come from out of the sky i know i will never get my money back and i dont care really i just dont want him to get away with bulling taking advatage and ripping me of when i was at my worse time in my life and his behaviuor only made it worse and sorry but what does SPT and RESPS stand for

Unfortunately, Feather, it's going to be really hard to do anything about all of this now you've left the house. While you were in there, you could have called environmental health about a couple of the problems that you had, but now you don't have access to the house.

If I'm really honest with you, I think you might have to chalk this one up to experience. It's sounds like you've had a rotten time of it recently - if I were you, I'd concentrate on settling into your new home.

If you have problems like this in the future, talk to your local housing team or ask on here while they're happening.

how am i avoiding responsbiltes from the day i moved out i have payed him money that i dont even owe him for rent as when i left my rent was up to date and full payed so the rent he says i owe is because he has lied and said i didnt move out till march saying i owe for the rent for feb and march which is 900 and i made sure i had moved out by the 27th of jan because that was the last day i was payed up till so i had to move in new house while still waiting for gas to be reconected i am fine with paying what i owe i have been for 5mths if i wanted to be funny i would pay the least amount i could of got away with till it went to court but NO I DID NOT and did what a responibles person would make payments and contact LL which i did and he never repiled to me at all

I really think that although this seems unfair that there is nothing that you can do legally to stop this gentleman re letting his properties or behaving in an inappropriate manner to his tenants.

As has been said you have left the property and the time to get something done was while you were still in residence.

The court has found that a certain amount of money is owed, even if the judge said that the receipts were barly legal they were legal, there is no shade of gray.

Your parents were gurantors it was up to them to dispute the charges in court as it was them that the LL took to court.

The LL can claim rent if you did not serve him with the correct notice when you gave him your leaving date, again if you had done this why didnt your parents bring this up in court?

What do your parents say about this?

If you gave valid notice and left on the correct dates then you wouldnt owe extra rent, however if the dates were incorrect then you would. You say you are paying the 2 months rent did your landlord take you to court over the rent? or did you just agree to pay it? If you agreed to pay it I would assume that you must think that it is owing, without the correct tenancy start date, leaving date and dates you put in your notice to quit I dont think anyone can advise you as to what you legally owe on the rent.

Going back to the repairs/damage the court have found in the landlords favour, your parents were the guarantors, so the money has to be paid. Regardless of what problems there were during the tenancy as they wernt dealt with at the time I cannot see that there is anything to be done retrospectivley.

This may be a bad landlord, he may have not carried out repairs, his attitude may have been wrong but unless a complaint was made to the appropriate authorities at the time without independant witnesses as to his behaviour I cannot see that there is any action that can be taken.

You could if you want to go to CAB and ask them what you can do if anything or a local solicitor but I feel you may just get the same answers as you have on here, unless there is anything else that hasnt been mentioned.

no i didnt agree he added on to what he took my mum and dad to court for so i am going to pay it dont want to leave my mum and dad paying for it its a good job they know the truth or dont think tey would be talking to no it not money i would be quiet happy to just go have my say and hear him try and defend it when i have the pape work to prove what a lie he is and i might not live there but i have loads of pics of mold through and variuos wittness statements not just friends and fasmily but a few a the people who did live across the road and next door