Charge Estate Agents to conduct viewings on a flat I rent - Play them at their own game

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4254 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello All

I have recently put my notice in on my flat. I am aware of my rights for peaceful enjoyment etc and have informed the estate agents I will not accept any viewings whilst I remain in occupation.

However they keep on asking whether there is a work around as they see it as me being unreasonable etc. My landlord has increased the rent on the property twice since I have been here and I have paid an abundance of fees to the estate agents for contractual renewals, reference checks, check ins and check outs etc.

Now I think it is my turn to turn the tables on the estate agents. I am planning on informing them that I will accept viewings but there will be fees associated with me doing so I reckon a breakdown as follows will be good:

Administration - £40

Cleaning and tidying time - £20

Totalling £60 per visit.

Can anybody see any issues with undertaken such an exercise?

Assisted Blonde

I am not being unreasonable and exercising my legal right to peaceful enjoyment. Plus I will be working from home during this period so I do not want to be disturbed.

Is not unreasonable to charge someone £120 to conduct reference checks that cost £5?

Is not unreasonable to charge someone £80 to renew a contract?

Your estate agent's fees may well be unreasonable but so are your 'visit' fees, and you are very unlikely to have a contractual right to enforce them, whereas the agent can enforce the tenancy agreement that you signed. You cannot just vary agreed terms unilaterally, and meanwhile, the landlord has a right to minimise the losses associated with gaps in lettings, so if you frustrate this then you could indeed have trouble getting back your deposit.

At your next property, you could perfectly well try to negotiate special terms for visiting. Good luck with that.

Marmais30

Are you saying I cant legally charge Fees?

Although I understand, I dont necessarily agree with your point about the landlord has a right to minimise losses because his right to profit doesnt supercede my right to peaceful enjoyment. That is part of the risk of being a landlord and this is more then catered for in the rent I pay.

When you say trouble getting your deposit back, have you any ideas of what they can do to take my deposit?

My understanding is that they can only take deposit for damage and as my deposit is with the protection scheme should they try to make unreasonable amounts then I can dispute this.I have just bought a house so I dont have to bother with negotiating terms for my next property.

£20 for cleaning house - unreasonable as it is part of acting in a T-like manner to keep property clean.

£40 admin - what admin costs will you have incurred?

Of course, you will declare any 'windfall' income to HMRC etc?

You keep talking about rent & charges, but fail to elaborate.

Have you given Notice to Quit, is that why LA wants to arrange viewings?

Then be reasonable, offer 2 x 2hr appointments, on time & day to suit you eg 2-4pm Tues & 12-2pm Sat, requiring confirmation of visit, by email, 48 hr in advance. Some LLs here, do offer £20 for such viewing appts if needed.

Expect your move-out inspection to be very thorough.

Have to concur with Mariner51 on this - if you do this, they'll send in people with white gloves on to do your move out inspection.

I sympathise with your points about letting agents and extortionate fees, but this is one of the downsides of renting property. I've always felt that it's cancelled out by the fact that if my boiler goes "bang" in a big way, I'm not left eating beans on toast for a month so I can replace it. It's swings and roundabouts, really.

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

If I've been helpful, please click my star. :oops:

Legal right to peaceful enjoyment yes but that really is to protect you from harrasment, frequent unecesscary visits from LL, not the LL arranging quite reasonably to be able to show prospective tennants round, it really isnt a hardship, viewings dont take long and as said above the premise should be kept in a good state anyway, also you knew what the agents fees were when you took the tennancy and you agreed to them (no one made you) so you cant start complaining now.

Stop being difficult.

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.