Jump to content

full time student+ parent + Couple


style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3580 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts


When I started my degree I was single mum with one child.

I received full financial help.

After time I started live together with my partner and I become pregnant with my second baby.

As full time student I cannot get any housing benefit- they said it is because I am not single anymore, even I have one 5y old baby and second on the way.


Also I cannot claim Income support- because this type of benefit is only for single parents.


I cannot get Job seekers allowance because I am student.


I cannot get ESA, they said if I can study that mean I can also work.


MY Child tax credit is in process for last 3 month.


My husband is working- so he is paying £500 rent+ £140 council tax, + rest bills, car insurance and everything else and we cannot survive.


We are in so bad situation, that WE Cannot afford to be together, bec when I was single at least I got some help... :(


After baby I think I will go back to work, but anyway we need help at least for next 3 month... SO what you could advise?


Thank you


Bolton council said that It was MY DECISION TO MAKE RELATIONSHIPS ;(

Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you checked you are receiving all you are entitled to? Have you applied for working tax credits? I would go to see you local CAB and make sure that there isn't something you are missing. I assume you are still receiving all the student finance including student loans?

Link to post
Share on other sites

You should be able to claim housing benefit as a student parent. In the summer holidays, you can claim job seekers allowance.


You'd also get a 25% council tax discount.




NO, they said Housing benefit I could get only if I would be a single parent.


They reduced my council tax from £159 to £ 130, it is not 25%.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I received only Tuition fee loan- it had been paid directly in my Uni .... MY special support grant is still in process- even that I don't now will I receive it if I am not single parent anymore

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can claim housing benefit if your partners wage is low enough, has he made a claim in his name and declared his income and been turned down? You can only claim ESA in the summer holidays, not JSA unless it has changed within the last year. Until 2 years ago you couldn't claim ESA either, I was stuffed each summer during my degree as a single parent with sweet FA to live on.


So, so far you have claimed the a student tuition fee loan and are applying for the grant. You can also apply for a student maintainance loan as well if you choose if you needed to. Many on the breadline need to apply for everything they can get just to get through the degree, I certainly did. I took the whole lot allowed, had no choice but to. I know it's 'debt' but it is there if you need it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can claim JSA in the summer period as long as you are actively seeking employment and available to take employment, I had to look the guidance up at work a couple of weeks ago, however as soon as you return to your course your JSA will cease.

I think going to the CAB is a good idea to ensure that they go through and help you check any entitlents you may have when you return to education.

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...