What can they claim working 17 hours

jadeybags

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3571 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

If one of a couple gets a job 17 hours a week, I know they don't qualify for working tax credits, but is there anything else? Or are they literally going to have to stay on benefits until at least 25 hour work comes through? Seems crazy to me.

Ok cheers, I think they are getting that. He got made redundant 3 months ago, has never claimed anything in his life. Age 42. One 14 yr old daughter. He's looking for work, she's managed to find a job but it's only 17 hours a week, so they lose working tax credits & apparently can't afford for her to get the bus to work next week. He's on a right downer at the moment bless him.

With a child, they should be able to get Child Tax Credits.

Not sure what you mean "they lose working tax credits" if she takes a job of 17 hours? If neither are working, they shouldn't be getting WTCs anyway...?

Depending on her income, he may get a little bit JSA.

Or, if he's paid enough NI in tax years 2009/10 and 2010/11 he might qualify for JSA cont based, which wouldn't take his partner's income into account. Of course, this only lasts 26 weeks but might provide some breathing space.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

With a child, they should be able to get Child Tax Credits.

Not sure what you mean "they lose working tax credits" if she takes a job of 17 hours? If neither are working, they shouldn't be getting WTCs anyway...?

Rainbo,

OP states "won't qualify for WTC" as opposed to "will lose WTC". Unless he qualifies for JSA then, unfortunately, it's likely they won't qualify for anything other than CTC, HB and CTB.

Feebee_71

Rainbo,

OP states "won't qualify for WTC" as opposed to "will lose WTC". Unless he qualifies for JSA then, unfortunately, it's likely they won't qualify for anything other than CTC, HB and CTB.

Feebee_71

Post #3, the OP states: "she's managed to find a job but it's only 17 hours a week, so they lose working tax credits & apparently can't afford for her to get the bus to work next week". This implies that they are currently receiving WTCs, and that's how I took it for my reply.

There is a possibility of being able to claim JSA (Income Based) depending on the hourly rate for the part time job.

If it is a couple claim then the partner can work up to 24 hours but joint claim it's only 16 hours.

If it is NMW then there is possibly a small entitlement for JSA.

Post #3, the OP states: "she's managed to find a job but it's only 17 hours a week, so they lose working tax credits & apparently can't afford for her to get the bus to work next week". This implies that they are currently receiving WTCs, and that's how I took it for my reply.

Just goes to show that different people read the same thing differently - I read post #3 as being as they job is only 17 hours they lose the ability to claim WTC as the job is only 17 hours/week. However, while we post about how we read things differently, the OP isn't getting any help with their issue.

Feebee_71