Student Accomodation Debt court!

topxx
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4283 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey guys, I'm in a bit of a predicament, around 2 years ago to this date I was a student at a certain university, now at this university I didn't pay off my final accommodation fee off around £580 this was because I was entitled to a £1000 bursary from the University they I never received and was therefore unable to pay it off. Fast forward a couple of months and they are sending me letters saying pay up but honestly I had no money and of course I'm a dumb kid so I ignored it. Eventually around 2 years later (today) I receive a letter from county court saying that I now owe £757 because of court fees and interest, what happens if I ignore this? I'm not even living at the address where the letter was sent I just got a phone call by the occupants who then forwarded it to me. What are my options guys?

If you do nothing you will get a CCJ by default and they may find out where you are now living. If you don't pay, they may employ bailiffs who will come to visit you. If a bailiff ever visits you, do not ever let them in as if you do that, then they will be allowed to enter when the pleased. I.E to remove your property to sell it.

You owe the money, so you should try to come to an arrangement to settle the debt with the University concerned. You should get on with making a complaint about the bursary payment not being received. The student union people may be able to advise you on the complaints process you need to follow.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The reason I could not get the full bursary was partly my fault, to get the full bursary I had to be able to get a maintenance grant from student loans (which I did get) to be eligible for it but the thing is on student loans it said my whole application was provisional and to make it unprovisional(is that a word?) I had to get certain documents from my mother who I lost contact with for a while, that's why the university didn't give me the bursary, I think its a lost cause right now. Do you think I could come to an agreement with the university without going to court or is it to far gone?

If the University have issued the court claim, speak to them to see if you can resolve. Also speak to them about the Bursary issue.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Why would they think about withdrawing the court claim, if you did not pay their fee ? I think they will just go ahead with the claim, unless you agree to their terms.