Possible move (with debt!) to Scotland...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4283 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Have had a bit of a wade through the posts here, as I am currently considering a move to Scotland from the UK.

I do have a bit of a debt, one CCJ and several defaults, that will obviously follow me there.

The process appears very different however. Can someone explain to me please the main differences between Scots and English Law regarding debt?

Have to say, from what I have seen, the Scottish law seems somewhat harsher - the thought of an arrestment of my bank account would be a complete disaster.

Thanks for any advice.

Hi,

The Civil Jurisdiction & Judgements Act 1982 covers jurisdiction issues in relation to court actions.

For individuals, jurisdiction is based upon where they are 'domiciled'(their place of residence) although there are a few exceptions but these are quite rare.

Where a creditor is pursuing an individual for a debt then they should do so at the sheriff court within whose jurisdiction that the debtor resides.

To enforce a CCJ in Scotland, the creditor has to register it for enforcement at the Books of Council & Session (Court of Session) which will then give the authority for a Messenger-at Arms (Officer of Court similar to a Sheriff Officer) to serve a Charge for Payment.

If you could give some detail of your debts and what stage they are at regarding debt collectors ect, it would make it easier for people to advise you.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert