style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4281 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have a small shop, which is halfway through a 20 year, full repairing and insuring lease. With upward only rent reviews.

I currently pay £14,000 per year rent. There are a number of empty shops around me and for the same size the rent offered are £8,000 pa on similar size properties.

Things have become very tough and I now find this rent difficult to pay. Has anybody any ideas, other than agreeing with the landlord, who will not renegotiate.

thanks

Tks for reply.

Last period for rent increase was 2 months ago, although javent agreed renewal with landlord. rent just continuing. I guess penalties if i cease trading will be being personally pursued by landlord.

not a member of any group.

I think I am on a loser here, just continue to pay and work for nothing, or cease trading and expect to be pursued. It is very tough

Speak to the landlord, tell them you need to negotiate new terms or you will have no choice but to cease trading. The landlord will prefer something rather than nothing and if you cease trading he/she knows it's going to be a hard job getting someone new in which will leave them with nothing.

People do budge when the threat of nothing comes their way.

Sounds like he thinks he's on to easy money, as you have already said, there are other properties of similar design for much less rent, yet his is almost double.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

surely there must be get out clauses on a regular basis?? No one can be expected to sign a full 20 year lease on a shop without some clause to get out if the business is not going as well as it should?

Is there nothing at all that can be used?

I am not a solicitor :!::!:

Most of my knowledge came from this site :-D:-D

If I have been helpful in any way at all .............. Please click my star..... :-(:-(

Theres something not quite right there. Youre basically saying that youa re locked into a 20 year lease, and the landlord can up the rent as much as he likes, and as often as he likes. I'm pretty sure there are some rules and regulations to stop that kind of thing from happening.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Why not post the contract on here, deleting any personal information and some of the legal bods might look it over for you. But from what your saying it's very unfair and unfair contracts often get thrown out by the courts.

I think that it sounds far too one sided, to get any credence should things go to court, and was going to suggest the same Ash..

I am not a solicitor :!::!:

Most of my knowledge came from this site :-D:-D

If I have been helpful in any way at all .............. Please click my star..... :-(:-(

I suggest there is a tech implicit break clause on every rent review date, either accept proposed rent or surrender Lease, subject to other contractual requirements for surrender eg finding another T to take on existing Lease.

If Lease was taken by a PLC, then LL would find it hard to pursue rent debt for remaining Term if Co entered Receivership etc. An individual/sole trader may have to be declared bankrupt or take out an IVA to avoid some of the ongoing rent debt.

The current Contract appears inequitable , biased in favour of LL only.

Either way, OP should expect some financial pain.

IANAL

Edited by mariner51

I was just thinking that if you could get someone to pay some of the current rent to lease the shop and you were employed elsewhere and made up the difference then you would actually be financially in a better position than carrying on where you are and just working to pay the rent.

What type of business is it? can the shop be used for a different type of business just because you earn nothing there someone else might, it was just a thought.

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.