Vauxhall Fit timing belt. Breaks same day... Where Do I stand?

NaciravBanks
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4283 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I bought a Vauxhall Vectra 1.9 cdti a few weeks ago from a private seller. Drove it over 130 miles home with no problems.

On Monday the car started making a squeeky noise in low revs so i took it to my local Vauxhall Garage where they recommended i have the timing belt changed... I agreed and booked it in for today.

At 3pm they called me to advise that the car has been repaired, So i turn up, pay £382.26 (ncludes investigating leak) and drive away. No squeeky noise.

A couple of hours ago i was driving my son back from the park (30/40mph - 4th gear) when there was a horrible bang, black smoke from the back and a loud clapping/clanking noise from the engine, i pulled over and called the AA who will be attending tomorrow morning to authorize transportation to the garage.

This where i currently am at the moment and was wondering where i stand with Vauxhall.... Are they liable for the repair? I fear they will try to wriggle out of it and maybe not even take my keys when i turn up tomorrow morning?? Any advice will very much appreciated.

Thank you for reading

Edited by NaciravBanks
Typo

Of course this is on the presumption that it is the belt having failed isn't it Sam??

Never jump to conclussions until you have the full facts. Get them first before apportioning liability.

I'm going on the title of the thread which states it's the timing belt. I'm therefore not jumping to conclusions, merely responding to the OP's info. Perhaps you should look in the mirror Helio.

Edited by sailor sam

They are responsible without doubt. They diagnosed the problem in the first place and you asked them to carry out the work they recommended. Cant see how they can possibly wriggle out of it but do keep us posted.

Thanks... Do you think its worth calling them before setting off or should I continue as planned and just turn up with the AA when they open at 9.

I will keep this Forum updated for sure...

Someone feels rather silly this morning.....

I think I am the One who's guilty of jumping to conclusions here...

The AA turn up this morning and after a short look around and a fiddle he asked me to try and start the vehicle now.... So i did, and like magic the noise has gone and all Seems fine now. I Asked what the problem was and he said that the person who done the timing belt job had not tightened the air intake Pipe properly..... And It was off. I probably should complain? As i have missed half a days work... What do you think?

Thanks

I'm going on the title of the thread which states it's the timing belt. I'm therefore not jumping to conclusions, merely responding to the OP's info. Perhaps you should look in the mirror Helio.

Of course Sam...........but apologies always accepted with grace..........:-)

The car is juddering a little now... Could that be Linked to the engine previously running without an air Pipe attached?

Without doubt it would. If after checking that everything is as it should be let us know. The air intake and breather system connections are critical otherwise the running is all over the place.