Barclays charge reclaim

Spidee9
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6302 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I have just joined in an effort to claim back bank charges from Barclays.

I went over my overdraft and got charged and charged again.

They refused to help me and when I explained the situation, they replied by wanting my overdraft back in full.

Therefore I had to open another bank account to ensure my bills got paid.

I am still paying off overdraft with only a couple of months left. I am so happy I found this site! ! ! :p

I have posted my first letter along with a cheque for £10 to barclays on 02/10/06 recorded delivery.

Today 04/10/06 had a parcel almost too thick for letterbox all my statements from Barclays.

I will have to wait untill I am on my own to look through them.

I feel a bit scared to find out how much I have been charged over the years.

I had 1 charge for non payment of a D.D then they charged straight after for going over my overdraft limit.

Then money I put in they took for Additions account charge and interest etc.

This kept me out of limit and stung again.

I now refer to these people as a nasty Bank....

Welcome.

Before you start please have a thorough read of the FAQs (there’s a Step by Step guide here too). You should print both of these out to refer to, so as to avoid having to ask basic questions later.

Then look at other threads in your bank’s forum, so as you know what you can expect to happen

You need to spend 2 or 3 days gradually getting your head round everything. If you find a forum/thread/post of interest, save it in your Favourites, so as you can always find it easily.

There’s a lot to take in, but it’s time well spent and will ensure that you succeed in your claim without problems. Remember it’s not a race, don’t rush, just follow the guidelines one step at a time

This is a self-help forum and you must be prepared to put in time and effort. It is your claim, your money and you cannot expect others to do all the work for you.

When you feel confident that you understand the process and the various stages involved, start a new thread in your bank’s forum and post your progress and any questions there and you’ll get plenty of help

All the info to get you started is here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/

Good luck

Finally please heed the words of warning here and make sure it doesn’t happen to you:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/announcement-center-bankfodder-very-sick.html

Guest littlesally

FAQs are very important to read as probably all your questions will be answered there.

Keep it all in writing so you know who said what and can prove it.

Keep to your time scale, as advised in faqs, not theirs.

• 2 weeks later...

Barclays have passed my overdraft to Debt managers (within their own company.) Probly due to the fact that when I argued with them they requested my overdraft in full. I opened up an account elsewhere so that they didn't take my salary. As I don't have a cheque book my new bank print cheques for me. I sent my first letter with a £10 cheque recorded delivery on 02-10-06 recieved info on 04-10-06 with letter....

Dear Miss XXXXXX

You asked for your copies of your statement

Here are the copies of the bank statements you asked for.

You'll notice that the copy is not an exact duplicate of your original statement. This is because we produce copies of bank staements in slightly different way.

The copy may include details from past statements that have been sent to you. Where this has happens we've inserted a dotted line. Above the dotted line you'll see a statement number and the date it was issued to you. The particular statement you requested will appear between two of these lines.

If you have any questions, give us a call on the telephone number* shown on your bank statement.

Thanks for banking with us

yours sincerly

no name added

Customer Manager

need to go through these now.......

I have just realised that the statements went back 6 years but recent one's only up to 20-04-05. It was in this last year where they gave me muliple charges. So far I have paid £805.00 in charges.

That was an extraordinarily quick appearance of the statements. You have been very fortunate but don't expect the rest of the ride to be quite as quick.

Good Luck

To follow my case progress, click here to see where I'm at right now.

Welshman

I had an account with barclays that went overdrawn. So I went in to see them to try and sort this out. They had no interest in trying to help and kept slapping me with charges for being charged. The account then went to Debt W***ers ltd who I have been paying since March 06. Due to the fact I stopped any wages being swallowed up by opening up another account elsewhere and have made the odd payment here and there into the account to reduce the overdraft. I sent a S.A.R letter to my local bank which they ignored. So I sent another one to head office with a £10 cheque recorded delivery on 02/10/06 at 15:20pm on 04/10/06 a large envelope crashed through my letterbox containing bank statements from 1999. Cover note:

Dear Miss

You asked for copies of your statement

Here are the copies of the Skank statements you asked for. You'll notice that the copy is not an exact duplicate of your original statement. This is because we produce copies in a slightly different way. Where this happend's we have inserted a dotted line you'll see the staement number and a date it was issued to you. This particular statement you requested will appear between two of these lines.

If you have any questions, give us a call on the telephone number* shown on your bank statement.

Thanks for banking with us.

Yours sincerly

For and On Behalf of centre manager

*we want to provide you will an excellent service, so we may monitir or record calls.

There was information missing from 20/04/05 up untill 15/03/06. I tried to call...please hold...hello how can I help?...just a moment I'll just transfer you...you have come through to the wrong department.... please hold.....Blah Blah Blah.... No,No please don't put me on hold!!!:mad: is this call recorded?...:lol: Good then I won't have to Fu**ing tell you again I'm writing to your head office.

If I break my phone on hanging up can I add this to the charges? so far £805.00 in charges. I sent a letter from a template saying that they have x amount of days left to respond. Bring it on.

I had a letter from Barclays dated on 04/10/06 from a different office saying that they have been asked to deal with this on behalf of the office I sent my S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) letter to (which was head office). They claim statements will be sent to complimentary even though information from microfishe is not covered by the Data Protection Act. I have already sent a 2nd letter saying that they have 35 days left to comply. I am going to see if I can get final statements of april 05 to march 06. It was stated clearly in my first letter what the £10.00 was for, they have aknowledged this in their 2nd letter to me which they returned my cheque. Is this just a tactic to keep thier costs down or to get out of sending the last lot of information that I require.

Sorry about the last rant I had:oops: Debt Managers ltd want more money from me. Apparantly I am being charged avereage of £4.16 per month interest on my £70 payment which Barclays have instructed DML to do. I asked how I can avoid paying this interest and DML said by increasing my payments to £100 per month. Barclays closed my current account on 15 march 06 and passed to DML how do they get to continue interest on this then. I am confused please help!:confused:

I had to telephone Barclays Bank and ask for the statements from april05 to october 06. I asked them that if they had closed the account why am I being charged average of £4.16 per month from Debt Managment. I told them that Debt Managers claimed that Barclays had instructed them to do this. Barclays say it is not true !!!

Cue Debt Managers I called them and asked why interest was being added and they said that Barclays were lying and informed them to do it. I asked for him to send that in writing. The guy said NO and went CRAZY at me asked me what my problem was etc etc didn't like it that I was quoting data protection act consumer credit act blah blah blah. How I didn't laugh was a miracle the more he was going mad the more I wanted to laugh. I then said I am going to send a £1 with a letter to his manager to get a copy of the agreement Barclays sent to him to take on the Debt. This crazy guy got worse said I couldn't have one as they didn't have one and that they don't buy debt. He was talking all over me not letting me get a word in edgeways so I said I am going to write to your manager or some one who is more competant good day and hung up. I called Barclays back and they will investigate not before they asked me if I could pay in full to get rid of Debt Managers I said no this is now in dispute..........Game on

Spidee9,

I have just read your post in the thread c&k v barclays. Ideally, such posts, requesting advice on your situation, should be in your thread. You can send a Private Message (PM) to a moderator asking them to move it for you. If all your "story" is in one place, it makes it easier for people to advise you.

Having said that, you seem to have two seperate issues; on the one hand your wish to reclaim funds from Barclays, on the other your "argument" with Debt Manager Ltd.

Since the second seems to be the more urgent matter, and causing you the greater upset, let's deal with that. (The reclamation of fees is by comparison much more straightforward - a long and tedious process but really quite simple with the help you can get in this forum).

You are right to go for the "copy of the agreement" approach first. Did you send this to Debt Manager Ltd? (The answer you quote seems to have come from Barclays, is that right?) Are Debt Manager Ltd a debt collection agency? Or are they just the debt collection department of Barclays, trying to be frightening? Did you use the standard letter? If these people can't prove legitimate ownership of the debt, they could be commiting a criminal offence by demanding money from you.

I can't personally give you much advice, but this may be a useful start:-

Firstly - don't get into telephone conversations about legal or debt matters. It's so much better to keep everything in writing. You don't have time to think about considered responses on the phone. If they phone you say "May I just interrupt you there, I have decided to deal with all questions about this matter in writing. Please put your points in a letter to me which I will reply to. Thank you" then HANG UP.

Secondly - if Debt Manager Ltd ARE an agency, and you did not send them the standard letter, do so now (click here - letter N).

Finally - click here to see a whole section of this website devoted to an excellent discussion of debt problems.

I hope you get the help you need, you have my very best wishes.

Victimnomore

By day, quiet unassuming bank customer - but, by night, .. .. .. .. ..

Barclays Case1

14/03/07 **WON** FULL settlement £3358.39

Barclays Case2

08/09/08 Prelim: please give me my £187.91 back.

Halifax Case1

14/03/07 **WON** Refunded £728 (including £54 costs)

Halifax Case2

08/09/08 Prelim: please give me my £268.24 back.

I think that Debt Managers are a part of Barclays. When I told Debt managers that I wanted a copy of the credit agreement I got a point blank no. They told me that I would have to contact Barclays for a letter telling me that the debt has been passed on. I said no and that I wanted a copy of the agreement. Then I get that snotty letter from Barclays saying that the debt has been passed on with a £25.00 refferal charge added and that Barclays will no longer communicate with me. The Barclays letter is dated 10th October 06 and I have been paying Debt Managers since March 05. Barclays letter was Stating that I should only have contact with Debt managers (who will not give me a print out of what I have paid them etc etc) I think I should send a letter to remind Debt Managers that they have not responded and that I am going to report them. Should I send a letter stating that because they never wrote to me telling me the account was closed and passing information on to a third party is in breach of the data protection act? I have already spoken to Peter townsend Data protection section at Barclays reguarding missing staments. I am in a good mind to telephone/write to him on monday letting him know of the letter and that I am in a good mind to report them to the commisioner.

Again, my advice is to send the standad letter to Debt Manager Ltd.

Don't telephone anyone. Perhaps you can find more advice on the debt forum.

Victimnomore

By day, quiet unassuming bank customer - but, by night, .. .. .. .. ..

Barclays Case1

14/03/07 **WON** FULL settlement £3358.39

Barclays Case2

08/09/08 Prelim: please give me my £187.91 back.

Halifax Case1

14/03/07 **WON** Refunded £728 (including £54 costs)

Halifax Case2

08/09/08 Prelim: please give me my £268.24 back.

• 2 weeks later...
Again, my advice is to send the standad letter to Debt Manager Ltd.

Don't telephone anyone. Perhaps you can find more advice on the debt forum.

Debt Managers are a seperate DCA who have refused to send me a statement I sent a CCa to them along with £1. The reply letter I got was from Barclays saying that they will no longer comminicate with me. Debt Managers said that if I upped my payment I would not have to pay interest. as £60 was £6 interest. Upped payment to £70 paying average of £4,16 interest which DM claim is from Barclays....Barclays say account closed they have not instructed interest. Dm say Barclays are lying. I asked for a letter in post confirming this. Thats when DM started screaming at me and asking me what my problem was. (This is the reason I sent CCA request which they have now defaulted on 12 days as of yesterday.) Have heard nothing from DM not even a phone call. Barclays are yet to send me my last years worth of statements. Without this last year Barclays owe £805.00 charges I owe DM approx £549.00 which includes the charges of interest which no one will tell me who aurth the interest Hmmm....... I didn't pay DM this month I brought much needed new shoes etc for my children instead.:p

I spoke to Peter Townsend in Data Protection and he was very concerned to say the least. He said that he is going to look into this and will contact D.M. It will take a couple of weeks to send me all the Data that D.M have on me. He said it will be very interesting to know what they have put in notes about me etc etc. Looks like D.M could have some explaining to do. (Mind you I did say that I was going to report D.M to OFT ) Now do I wait untill I have this information or do I request charges back now I have everything from the bank? To be honest I would accept them to write debt off and forget about the rest. Just as long as I don't have to deal with another DCA as I have a feeling that Barclays may transfer....

DM have ignored my cca request eventhough they have cashed the £1 statutory fee. Should I send them a letter letting them know that they have untill 26 November untill it becomes a criminal offence and that account in dispute etc, etc or just ignore pay £70 immediate letter. dated on the day that Peter Townsend has asked them to send all info on me....hmmmmm.

Received a letter from DM stating they can not supply a signed agreement for a bank account. Surley an overdraft is a form of credit? DM telephoned me just before I left for work I told them that I am not prepared to get into a conversation with them everything is to be in writing. She STILL kept trying to get me into a conversation by saying she would send a man to my door. I said she would need a court order but the account is in dispute don't phone me again put phone down.

DM called this morning at the crack of dawn I said I told you not to phone she ignored me by talking over me and saying my address and details blah blah blah so I just hung up. 1 Hour later got a letter from Barclays standard reply and leaflet saying they need more time to investigate my complaint. I will just remind them they have 14 days.

• 4 weeks later...

I loathe every one of them. Go for it, screw them to the floor, they deserve everything coming to them.

Good luck!!

Barclays -

- initial letter sent

- LBA sent 30/10/06

- settlement "good will" offer 10/11/06

- rejection letter sent 11/11/06

Barclays have sent me a letter offering £450.00 as a goodwill gesture instead of the £830.00 i requested. They also reminded me I owe £640.00 I would have thought they would at least have offered to write this off. I am going to write to them and let them know I will take this as part payment and will remind them that I will take them to court (after xmas) I really do need this being removed from my credit file. New year new start eh?

• 1 month later...

Barclays paid up before going to court and remainder was used to pay off another Barclays bill so I only acheived getting debt paid off and never actually had a penny myself. I have got copies of my credit report no defaults by debt collection agency but there is from Barclays. Barclays told me that it will show settled on my credit report within 14 days. It looks like I am going to have another battle to get this removed. As this was put down as a good will gesture. Equifax say they are going to request directly to Barclays to get this removed as I sent them photocopies of letters to show unlawful charges. Barclaycard is next.... Is there a law that says it has to stay on record for 6 years?