style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4307 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Was just wondering if someone could help me and my flatmates with a situation we're having with recovering our deposit for a flat in London. The three of us are students at present, but the rental was a private one.

We vacated the flat without the landlord or a representative from the letting agency present, but did our own full inventory and took photos of this. The landlord (who deceitfully is also a director of the letting agency company) is disputing claims that the deposit will not be returned because of his own costs: £850 to repaint it?! - but we haven't consented to this or at least discussed it - or seen a vat receipt of the company that did it, as well as others for 'professional cleaning' - all despite us leaving the flat in an arguably better state than which we received it in (on moving in the boiler was barely functioning and the kitchen and living room infested with cockroaches - despite reporting it to them and they eventually being sorted.

Do we have any grounds to contest this with? Can the landlord charge himself whatever amount he likes for these ridiculous 'repairs' and non-acceptance of general wear and tear. The deposit is registered with a scheme and they have means to dispute it, but we'd like to keep it amicable if we have any chance of recovering it?

Any help would be really appreciated.

apply to the TDS for the full return of the deposit, and see what the response is.

After that come back here and let us know.... I would say by experience that talking with LL/LA is going to be a waste of time and only serve to draw out the process, so as legally entitled apply for full return and see what LL says....

I am not a solicitor :!::!:

Most of my knowledge came from this site :-D:-D

If I have been helpful in any way at all .............. Please click my star..... :-(:-(

apply to the TDS for the full return of the deposit, and see what the response is.

After that come back here and let us know.... I would say by experience that talking with LL/LA is going to be a waste of time and only serve to draw out the process, so as legally entitled apply for full return and see what LL says....

Thanks for your advice. We're gonna go down this route I think, and will post the results back here.

Don't know why LLs have to be like this!? :mad2:

Just thought I'd add as well - we never received any copies of the details of the TDS - so can't claim a dispute as we don't have a deposit protection number (deposit registered with mydeposits.co.uk). Isn't he technically breaking the law by have never given us full notification of this scheme (I think it was mentioned once in an email as being registered, but that was it).

What date did you all move out? After serving NTQ in time?

When did T commence

What date was deposit paid?

Frequency of rent due?

Contact MyDeposits for deposit ref, stating address start/end dates.

Note MD is Ins based protection scheme.

Why is LL being a Director of LA being 'deceitful'? Many LA's have a personal property portfolio.