• Tweets

• I hope Lord Frost is OK. Islamists and the woke Left are uniting to topple the West ARCHIVE.PH archived 18 Apr 2024 19:12:37 UTC  
    • Ok you are in the clear. The PCN does not comply with the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4 for two reasons. The first is that in Section 9 [2][e]  says the PCN must "state that the creditor does not know both the name of the driver and a current address for service for the driver and invite the keeper— (i)to pay the unpaid parking charges ". It does not say that even though it continues correctly with blurb about the driver. The other fault is that there is no parking period mentioned. Their ANPR cameras do show your arrival and departure times but as that at the very least includes driving from the entrance to the parking space then later leaving the parking space and driving to the exit. It also doesn't allow for finding a parking spot: manoeuvering into it avoiding parking on the lines: possibly having to stop to allow pedestrians/other cars to pass in front of you; returning the trolley after finishing shopping; loading children disabled people in and out of the car, etc etc.  All of that could easily add five, ten or even 15 minutes to your time which the ANPR cameras cannot take into account. So even if it was only two hours free time you could  still have been within the  time since there is a MINIMUM of 15 minutes Grace period when you leave the car park. However as they cannot even manage to get their PCN to comply with the Act you as keeper cannot be pursued. Only the driver is now liable and they do not know who was driving as you have not appealed and perhaps unwittingly given away who was driving. So you do not owe them a penny. No need to appeal. Let them waste their money pursuing you . 
    • If Labour are elected I hope they go after everyone who made huge amounts of money out of this, by loading the company with debt. The sad thing is that some pension schemes, including the universities one, USS, will lose money along with customers.
    • What's the reason for not wanting a smart meter? Personally I'm saving a pile on a tariff only available with one. Today electricity is 17.17p/kWh. If the meter is truly past its certification date the supplier is obliged to replace it. If you refuse to allow this then eventually they'll get warrant and do so by force. Certified life varies between models and generations, some only 10 or 15 years, some older types as long as 40 years or maybe even more. Your meter should have its certified start date marked somewhere so if you doubt the supplier you can look up the certified life and cross check.
    • No I'm not. Even if I was then comments on this forum wouldn't constitute legal advice in the formal sense. Now you've engaged a lawyer directly can I just make couple of final suggestions? Firstly make sure he is fully aware of the facts. And don't mix and match by taking his advice on one aspect while ploughing your own furrow on others.  Let us know how you get on now you have a solicitor acting for you.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Suspended from work pending investigation

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3151 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We had a similar case when I worked for Wetherspoons a couple of years ago, I did mention that the fault could be at the cash centre and this comment was very quickly thrown out as unlikely

I'll keep updating as I hear more and hope that I am back to work very soon

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a chat with union help line on friday and local office today, they said that 3 weeks suspended (4 on wednesday) with 3 investigation and still no charge is getting a bit silly now and kind of like they are fishing for something to try and discipline me over or make a scapegoat out of me.

I have gone through my handbook, rules of conduct, cash handling regs and just about everything else I can find and studied each page back to back and can only find one regulation that all of the issues raised in the investigation come under and that is "You are involved in irregularities concerning cash or timesheet fraud*" Im sitting here thinking to myself that this is a strong cause for concern but seeing as I haven't actually done anything wrong, have I actually been involved in an irregularity?

Im still waiting to hear anything further from the investigation and stress and anxiety have become ridiculous now, I spoke to my GP and he gave me some medication to help with sleeping/anxiety but thats not really done anything so far

Thank you Honeybee

Ive learned a lot form the forums here and reading other threads so will keep updating and hopefully when I get sorted and am back at work I can help others

I'm sure you'll be an asset here. :) Let's hope your own problems are sorted soon.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Had a welfare call from my line manager today and asked if she knew anything yet as its been 4 weeks since I was suspended now and she said that the investigating manager is now on holiday and she doesnt know when I will hear anything

Ive spoken to my union who said that its dragging out too much now, 4 weeks, 3 investigation interviews and not even given a rule/policy I have broken so far. Im very stressed, anxious and this whole situation is causing a huge amount of strain on my personal life too

Hi mark,

I know the exact emotions, stress and anxiety you are going through at the minute!

I have been on suspension for 5 weeks today, and to e honest it is highly likely I will be on suspension for 7-8 weeks.

I had my DH a week after I had been initially suspended, so I have had 4-5 weeks now of just waiting around waiting for the decision to come through. It really is a joke. I have had no contact from anyone within our company to see how I am, for all they know I could have turned into an manic depressive, alcoholic anything. These employers put their employees on this suspension without any care for their health or what effect it can have on them and their family.

I am currently waiting for the manager dealing with my case to return off holiday (which he informed me of via e-mail on the day he was commencing his annual leave) and I know when he comes back he is wanting to do some more investigating with another person (I only know this as someone has told me that shouldn't really know about the whole situation)

I just want you to know that although it seems like the world is closing in on you, your not the only one these people are doing it too. It really is downright disgusting! If they had a strong case with sound evidence then I can honestly understand, but they don't, and in my opinion they should have some serious retraining on people skills!!!!

Hi, I feel the pain of both of you, I am going through the same myself. I think that it speaks volumes that these employers have NOTHING to go on hence the continual digging in the hope they find something! This is another reason why it is dragging on for so long. I hope I get a decision soon on mine as I have another job to start and want to get on with the rest of my life.

There must be some sort of recourse for the mental torture and worry they are putting us through.

I know I have not done any wrong and expect to go back to work soon and will be looking at some kind of grievance or complaint along with my union over the amount of time it has taken to get this far and the lack of information passed to me.

It sounds like I have been fairly luck with a weekly call from my line manager asking how things are and that that isnt always the case for others but I still feel very uninformed and like work are still digging for more and cannot accept they have nothing on me and that when they decide people have done wrong and to investigate it they may well be wrong

I think its just plain cheeky of the investigating officer in my case to tell me she will be in touch as soon as possible with further information but she cannot tell me when this will be because she was on holiday as of the next day! I wouldn't have spent a whole week worrying and wondering if she had mentioned it would be at least another week etc

Im looking for another job already and will be moving as soon as I find something I want to do but will not be leaving this one without resolving this issue as I know I am not guilty of anything and leaving now would look like I am guilty of something

Ive had a missed delivery card from royal mail today for a recorded letter and now Im worrying so much, have worked myself up into a right stressed out state dreading what it will be :/

I cant get the letter until tomorrow so have to spend the night wondering what it is going to say, Im terrified it will be something bad and Im feeling so distressed right now

I went to contact the investigating officer who is on holiday until tomorrow so I have no one to contact about it

Well, there is nothing you can do until the letter is read! So try not to worry too much about what may be. And anyway it might be better news than you dread!

I am not a legal professional or adviser, I am however a Law Student and very well versed areas of Employment Law. Anything I write here is purely from my own experiences! If I help, then click the star to add to my reputation :)

Good luck. I hope it brings the outcome you want and need. If not we are all here for you on this site. You are not alone I can assure you. Please please don't make yourself ill, and let us know what the letter brings. Got it all crossed for you. :-) xx

• Haha 1

Im guessing that she was on leave but possibly in work for some of those days as the letter was posted on saturday 25th by her and she isn't due back at work until today

Just went to pick up the letter and arrived home to find that it is an invite to disciplinary next week along with all the paperwork from the investigations

Reading the letter and some of the paperwork has pretty much brought me to tears, the main body of the letter says about disciplinary, date and time etc but it says

"Further to your interview with me at XXXXX,XXXXX on XXXXX you are now charged with the following irregularities, in accordance with Section 9 of the Disciplinary Procedure:

That on various dates between 20/04/12 and 21/07/12 you were involved in accounting irregularities resulting in financial gain to you. This constitutes theft which is an act of gross misconduct"

It goes on to mention spokesperson, union rep etc and they have collated all the interview notes in an investigation pack. It also says that the outcome may be dismissal

Im reading through in a huge panic now, I haven't done anything dishonest or to my own financial gain and now I don't know how to prove it to them! Im terrified of losing my job because I don't know how to prove that I am not involved in anything untoward, going through the notes it seems like nothing I said has been taken into account at all

Any help or comments would be massively appreciated

I'm trying to think about the best way to handle this.

They seem very adamant that you have made financial gain from your error. If you can prove that you haven't then a big part of "dishonesty" will have been quashed. Would the financial gain have been cash?

Other than continue to express your innocence and really try to say how long you have been an employee and that you have never had these issues before so why would you risk your job for a few extra £. Its going to be a tough meeting, so make sure that someone is there for you as a witness.

I think that an error has occurred, and that you should concentrate your defense on your honesty.

I am not a legal professional or adviser, I am however a Law Student and very well versed areas of Employment Law. Anything I write here is purely from my own experiences! If I help, then click the star to add to my reputation :)

I really cant think of how to prove to them that I haven't taken anything, gained in anyway or been dishonest.

I know that on the date of the first irregularity (4 months ago) that I did my job correctly and filed away what they are now saying is missing and I said I know I file away my work correctly but in the conclusion of the investigation pack she has quoted

"Despite offering me every opportunity to offer an explanation regarding the missing tickets and coupons ML was unable to do so.

Due to the lack of any explanation for the missing tickets and coupons despite ML's competence in his role it is in my belief ML has either sold on the original tickets, non-issued blank tickets then disposed of the remaining tickets/coupons or non-issued the tickets, retained the cash value and disposed of the original tickets and coupons. In both cases it is my belief that ML gained financially which constitutes theft and is contrary to XXXX code of conduct"

How can I argue back with that? I know I did my job correctly and I am not responsible for whatever is missing. I file my paperwork at which ever station I have to work at and leave it there, I don't have any further contact with it and I have not done any of those things that she has said, I really am feeling distraught that they think I would do that

Im going to again contact my union but I feel there is nothing I can do and that it feels like work have already decided to dismiss me

Edited by markl1987
Missed out a part

You can argue back that their belief is incorrect. What evidence do they have that you have sold them on, that is an unbelievable jump and accusation for them to make. Surely they would have just assumed them lost? What have they done in the past with matters like this, what are the precedents set by other investigations into this type of loss?

Is it conceivable that someone else had access to those tickets and therefore took them? Is it conceivable that they were just lost? Can they solely pin it down to you and only you had access to those tickets from the moment they were returned to the moment they were to arrive at their supposed resting place?

If the answer is no, then how are they making this all your fault?

There is no evidence at all that I have sold them on, taken them or done anything other than file them! Firstly because I haven't done any of those things and secondly there just isn't any truth in the belief. There are two managers one who was the investigating manager and the other from the accounts department who gives his opinion as the same.

Im not aware of any other investigations about things like this or anything else really as I have never really wanted to be involved in anything like this.

It is very conceivable that a lot of people have access to these tickets just as a minimum there are the resident staff at the stations, agency gating staff, managers, accounts staff, builders and engineers plus many more. The returned tickets at all stations generally sit in boxes/trays in view of everyone and accessible to anyone in the office until the period end which involves them being transferred to another box/tray and them being put in a cabinet or filing box depending on the location where they are stored (accessible to anyone) for a year before disposal, there are some missing ones at two bigger stations that have already been dismissed by the investigating officer due to poor filing systems there

Still no luck getting hold of a union rep so am going to have to try tomorrow.

Ive got a folder of bits and pieces from interviews etc and would appreciate it if anyone here could look over my thread and offer any suggestions or help, I can try to fill in any information from the folder I have been given if clarity is needed

Thanks in advance for anyones help

I am with Ibruk here, there is no foundation nor evidence for this. Unless they had you on CCTV or something substantial as PROOF then I cannot see how they can jump to that conclusion.

One thing that stands out is the process is not correct due to the many people that have access during all this time and their process is totally inadequate. If this was to go to the police for example this would be laughed out by the CPS and the police wouldnt have any evidence to charge you.

You must reiterate you followed procedure as always and nothing has changed. If anything they should look at changing their process so other fellow innocent colleagues do not get caught up in something similar.

If they are using a system called Fujitsu star, the below is impossible:

"Despite offering me every opportunity to offer an explanation regarding the missing tickets and coupons ML was unable to do so.

Due to the lack of any explanation for the missing tickets and coupons despite ML's competence in his role it is in my belief ML has either sold on the original tickets, non-issued blank tickets then disposed of the remaining tickets/coupons or non-issued the tickets, retained the cash value and disposed of the original tickets and coupons. In both cases it is my belief that ML gained financially which constitutes theft and is contrary to XXXX code of conduct"

You can't non-issue a ticket that is blank. The system reads the magstrip to non-issue, so if there is nothing written to it then it will refuse to non-issue.

How much (financially) are we talking? A few £, £100, over £1000? If it is a lot of money, collate your bank statements to show no irregular payments INTO your account, nor any excessive spending, or that you have no or very little financial problems, debt etc.

Back in my days the things we used to find where all based on "collecting off" and non-issuing tickets that passengers surrendered at the end of their journey.

Why don't you play them at their own game? Go to the British Transport Police and inform them you believe you are a suspect in a theft case and want to make a statement. The BTP will presumably have no knowledge of such case and tell you nothing they can do. Get the officers name/rank etc, then when you go to the Disciplinary inform them you visited the police to make a statement but no crime had been reported. Ask them why if they believe you have committed theft, they haven't reported it to the railway police force they fund from their profits to tackle such problems.

The disciplinary panel, (as well as an Employment Tribunal), will simply decide on the "balance of probabilities", not always on hard facts.

I will tell you now, from personal experience, you will almost certainly be dismissed. You will have to appeal internally then lodge a case with the Employment Tribunal. RMT will always fund and sort this out if you are realistically able to win. They use Thompsons Solicitors.

Edited by firstclassx