Issues with SCS and claiming for damage repair

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4263 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I'm not sure on whether this is in the correct category and i apologise in advance if it is not.

I bought a two and three seat sofa from SCS in 2010 and took delivery of them on the 8th of September 2010.

At the same time we also took out extra cover for accidental damage as the salesman said it covered everything for 5 years.

In around April of this year, one of the seat cushion covers had started to separate at the seam on the three seater sofa and this also happened on the back cushion for the two seater sofa.

We called SCS who then gave us the number for the company Guardsman and we followed the process for making a claim for a repair.

After about two weeks or so, Guardsman had called to say that there was an inspector available and if it was ok for him to come and inspect the sofa.

We confirmed it was and a few days later he came and made the inspection.

After around 8 weeks, we received a letter from guardsman stating that the damage was not covered under the policy we had as the 'independent inspector' had said the fabric had frayed and it was not because the stitching had come apart.

Now, i was quite miffed at this because to me, there is no difference.

The point at which each of these cushions have split both originate at the seams of the fabric.

The other thing is, Guardsman stated that it is in the policy documents that we get along with the certificate, stating that 'our' damage is not covered.

We never received any policy documents or certificate and to be honest i wasn't expecting to as i thought the extra insurance paid to SCS was so that they themselves would repair any damage.

I'm now left with two sofas that one has no back cover and the other has one seat cushion without its cover.

I contacted SCS via their website a couple of weeks ago and i've allowed the minimum 10 days in order to get a reply but i still haven't had one.

Can anyone part with some advice on what i can do from here?

I haven't gotten back in touch with guardsman yet and i thought it would be best to get a broader range of advice first.

• 4 weeks later...

extra cover is in ll essence worthless.

it does nothing SOGA does not cover.

hit them with a SOGA claim.

http://www.oft.gov.uk/business-advice/treating-customers-fairly/sogahome/forcustomers

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi com

Have a read of the following:- http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/nireland/consumer_ni/consumer_different_ways_of_buying_e/consumer_buying_by_internet_mail_order_or_phone_e/what_do_the_distance_selling_regulations_cover.htm

I would claim the insurance payment back, as you should have received the documents, you missed the opportunity to cancel the insurance at the time, because you didn't receive the documents.

Also SCS are responsible under SOGA as DX's says.

Don't speak to them over the phone, send letters Recorded.