Car HP agreement 13 years ago

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3048 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi

I would be grateful for any help please if possible

In 1999 i bought a car on HP which the value at the time was around 2K.

Due to severe change of circumstances within one month of buying the car i told the finance company i could no longer keep the car as i was unable to pay for it.

I sent them a letter telling them this and also via telephone.

Due to the change of circumstances it meant at the time i no longer had a fixed address so there was no way of knowing what reply from the finance company was,

also neither was i able to recover any belongings i had before these change of circumstances took place.

Speaking at the time on the telephone i was told by the finance company that they would recover the vehicle and IF there was a remaing balance i would have to pay it.

this week (13 years later)

i have been contacted by a debt collecting agency for the balance of 7K for the car.

I have never recieved a default notice or any comunication from the finance company in all the 13 years.

I have changed address a couple of times but within 6 years after they recovered the vehicle i was at one address for 4 years.

Perhaps stupidly i thought they would contact me and things would have been resolved,

but they didnt and no i did not contact them because i had truly forgotton who they were not having any possesions at all from previous to the end of 1999.

I am not trying to hide from this in any way i am just trying to resolve this but i do wonder that after such a long period of time what rights i have.

I would be grateful if anyone can help.

Thanks

If you have not made any payment or acknowledged the debt in writing for a clear period of 6 years (5 in Scotland) then the debt is Statutory Barred and you don't have to worry about repaying anything.

In the CAG library (top left in green) is a letter template to send the DCA regarding a Stat Barred debt.

• Confused 1

If I have helped you please leave me a message by clicking my star

1. Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

2. Reclaim mis-sold PPI

Read Here

3. Reclaim Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

4. The CAG Interest Tutorial

Read Here

5. Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors?

Read Here

6. Staying Calm About Debt

Read Here

7. Thinking of a Full & Final Settlement?

Read Here

How To Upload Documents To Cag

Instructions

I DON'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM BUT IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Private message facilities are offered for users to communicate issues that are perhaps inappropriate for posting on the main forum. Site rules explain this in more detail.

If you receive a private message which you consider abusive, derogatory or otherwise inappropriate, whether it be about yourself or other members, please report it using the "report" icon

If you are approached (or have been approached) by private message with an offer of help "Off Forum" or with a view to asking you to visit another website, please inform the site team via the report icon, especially if this results in a request for a fee. Remember, this is for your own protection

my views are my own and are given in good faith to try and help people. Please seek professional advice on your case if necessary

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Thread moved to Debt Collection forum

If I have helped you please leave me a message by clicking my star

1. Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

2. Reclaim mis-sold PPI

Read Here

3. Reclaim Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

4. The CAG Interest Tutorial

Read Here

5. Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors?

Read Here

6. Staying Calm About Debt

Read Here

7. Thinking of a Full & Final Settlement?

Read Here

How To Upload Documents To Cag

Instructions

I DON'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM BUT IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Private message facilities are offered for users to communicate issues that are perhaps inappropriate for posting on the main forum. Site rules explain this in more detail.

If you receive a private message which you consider abusive, derogatory or otherwise inappropriate, whether it be about yourself or other members, please report it using the "report" icon

If you are approached (or have been approached) by private message with an offer of help "Off Forum" or with a view to asking you to visit another website, please inform the site team via the report icon, especially if this results in a request for a fee. Remember, this is for your own protection

my views are my own and are given in good faith to try and help people. Please seek professional advice on your case if necessary

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

ignore

DCA's have NO legal powers to do nowt bar fleece you.

dx

• Confused 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...