• Tweets

• Claimants do not use witnesses to present the case.....counsel are not witnesses to the claim.    The receipt of Lowells DQ is not confirmed precedence of the claim.....check the status of the claim on MCOL and see if it states DQs sent out.
    • It also says that claimant has 28 days after receiving a copy of defence to inform court if they wish to proceed. I dont have a date but would assume that they received their DQ after I filled my defence and that they issued me a copy dated 6th Jan, so roughly speaking they have 28 days from 6th Jan to inform court.
    • Husband and I have finally saved deposit to buy our house and seen a house we like so I checked my credit reports before we give the mortgage broker the thumbs up!    I knew something would come and bite me on the bum!    I had an overdraft with lloyds which I have not accessed since 2013. They have sold to Arrow Global who have put a big fat default on my account. It shows on my transunion credit report as pasted below. Defaulting in April 2020.     I did not change my old address with them. I am unsure how to approach this as cannot be sure it is statute barred as it is an overdraft (even though I have not touched it, acknowledged it since 2013). The default date shown is Nov 2015 but not reflected in the way Arrow Global are sticking the defaults on. Should I send a 'statute barred' or 'prove it' letter? Should I dispute with the credit reference agency? I am unsure!    I would like the default off the account the quickest way possible to have a clean credit report!      OVERVIEW   Account type Current Account   Status Default   Account number     Last updated 2020   Start date  2008     PAYMENT INFORMATION   Opening balance £1,199   Repayment frequency Monthly   Date of default Nov 2015   Promotional rate No     PAYMENT HISTORY     J F M A M J J A S O N D 2020       D D D D D D D D D     OK   Missed payment -- No data D Defaulted     BALANCE OVER TIME   Your balance has not changed since Jan '20.   APR '20 | £1199MAY '20 | £1199JUN '20 | £1199JUL '20 | £1199AUG '20 | £1199SEP '20 | £1199OCT '20 | £1199NOV '20 | £1199DEC '20 | £1199£1299£0JAN '20JAN '21
    • Just looking at their DQ answers, why have they put down 0 for How many witnesses, including yourself, will give evidence on your behalf at the hearing?   Does that inc other lawyers? Surely that should say at least 1.
    • Thank you BazzaS, I completely agree with you!      
  • Our picks

• Hi @BankFodder
      Sorry for only updating you now, but after your guidance with submitting the claim it was pretty straight forward and I didn't want to unnecessarily waste your time. Especially with this guide you wrote here, so many thanks for that
      So I issued the claim on day 15 and they requested more time to respond.
      They took until the last day to respond and denied the claim, unsurprisingly saying my contract was with Packlink and not with them.

I opted for mediation, and it played out very similarly to other people's experiences.

In the first call I outlined my case, and I referred to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as the reason to why I do in fact have a contract with them. 

In the second call the mediator came back with an offer of the full amount of the phone and postage £146.93, but not the court costs. I said I was not willing to accept this and the mediator came across as a bit irritated that I would not accept this and said I should be flexible. I insisted that the law was on my side and I was willing to take them to court. The mediator went back to Hermes with what I said.

In the third call the mediator said that they would offer the full amount. However, he said that Hermes still thought that I should have taken the case against Packlink instead, and that they would try to recover the court costs themselves from Packlink.

To be fair to them, if Packlink wasn't based in Spain I would've made the claim against them instead. But since they are overseas and the law lets me take action against Hermes directly, it's the best way of trying to recover the money.

So this is a great win. Thank you so much for your help and all of the resources available on this site. It has helped me so much especially as someone who does not know anything about making money claims.

Many thanks, stay safe and have a good Christmas!

• Thanks
    • Hermes and mediation hints. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428981-hermes-and-mediation-hints/&do=findComment&comment=5080003
      • 1 reply
    • Natwest Bank Transfer Fraud Call HMRC Please help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428951-natwest-bank-transfer-fraud-call-hmrc-please-help/&do=findComment&comment=5079786
      • 31 replies
    • Hermes lost parcel.. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422615-hermes-lost-parcel/
      • 49 replies

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3102 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

This is my first post so I am sorry if it is in the wrong section, I am sure a moderator will move it if it is.

I got home late last night & noticed a draft coming through the letter box, when I checked there was a brown envelope in there which had been delivered by hand. Inside was a card from ScotCall about my debt to the Co-Op bank for a credit card I had which is in excess of £9k, mostly excessive interest charges.

The card said not to ignore it and to contact Gary on the number provided.

I have no intention of calling Gary but I know my wife will freak out when she knows someone has been to the house.

In the past it was just threatening phone calls and letters from our creditors until the National Debt Line told me letters to send out; these then stopped overnight and I have not heard anything for more than 2 years.

Can they do anything if they do turn up or do they need to take me to court first?

If I was on my own it wouldn't bother me but my wife is thinking of the shame if our family and neighbours find out.

Just a bit of extra info:

1) The debt is definitely mine, but I couldn't pay so I had an agreement for £5 month. However this became too much so I stopped paying.

2) After numerous threats from DCA's the letters stopped more than 12 months ago.

3) I have been redundant for 3 years after the financial meltdown of 2008.

4) Nationwide took me to court and have a charging order against my house for their debt - this means I have no equity in the house and cannot sell without their permission.

5) My Credit Score is 299, which says I am poor. Tell me something I don't know. :-D

Thanks for any help offered.

Hi welcome to CAG,

Doorstep collectors have absolutely no authority to enter your home

or discusss your finances you can oder them to leave and not return.

I suggest writting to ScottCall as follows:

The Compliance Manager

ScottCall

Ref: xxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Sir or Madam,

I refer to the visit to my property by one of your operatives today, please

take note I withdraw all permissions implied or explicit for any employees

of Scotcall to visit my property at any time.

Please be advised I will only deal with fnancial matters in writting, no e-mails

or telphone contact is allowed.

• Confused 1

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Oh Brig, the lovely Scott-Call, love em the only one's to ever turn up on me old property... Say hello to Kevin as soon as I opened the door and gave him 5 seconds to remove himself he could have beated Mr Bolt in the 100 metres haaaaa,,, this lot are one of the bottom feeders. They must be the only one's who chance there arm at taking your doorstep,,, heeeeee,,, soon as you write and say what Brig recommends they close the file...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Happyhippy1959

Oh Brig, the lovely Scott-Call, love em the only one's to ever turn up on me old property... Say hello to Kevin as soon as I opened the door and gave him 5 seconds to remove himself he could have beated Mr Bolt in the 100 metres haaaaa,,, this lot are one of the bottom feeders. They must be the only one's who chance there arm at taking your doorstep,,, heeeeee,,, soon as you write and say what Brig recommends they close the file...

Hi Hippy,

Wonderful mob are'nt they I dealt with them earlier this year threatening someone with court action,

hanging drawing and quatering and many other horriffic penalties if they did not pay for a 22 year old

Associates Card accounts, sent on of Brigs special stat barred letters never another peep:madgrin:

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

They are easy meat, they want a quiet life. Have sent them packing for a couple of ex-Mrs Hippy's.... I think they troll around at the small debts and employ quite a few Field Agents !!!!!!!!!!!! hmmmmm so they know they will probably get a return. They troll a lot of the council estates for Catalogue debt and those dodgy 5000% apr loans that come to the door,, No Names no pack drill.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Happyhippy1959

The letter is printed and in an envelope, it will be in the post box for the last post.

I think they they jammed the card in the letterbox as it was stood upright.

How long is it usually until anyone calls back?

May not call back, if he is self employed like many of

these collectors are, it depends if it's worth his time.

If he does turn up hand him a copy of the letter and

shut the door.

You were lucky to only have ScotCall.

When someone formerly at my address stopped paying Co-op,

they sent a private investigator round who,

getting no answer,

asked the neighbours whether that person lives here ..

. until they asked if he is police.

At least he didn't state the nature of his business.

That was more than 2 years ago and, despite Co-op *knowing* their ex-customer is not here, DCA mail still arrives.

I am biding my time, letting the evidence accumulate, and will take appropriate action when it suits me.

I mention this now just to give you an idea of how low the Co-op stoop. "Ethically guided," my foot.

Expect anything from them. Except legal action. If you have no assets and a low credit score they do, eventually, give up the ghost.

The guttersnipe who called at your house would also be representing iQor (part of the same cabal) and others,

making a pretty penny of his monthly round in your area pocketing 20% commissions.

Just they tend to get more excitable, of course, over larger debts.

I often wonder not only how many people are intimidated into paying, but also how many such debts are statute barred

and how many people do not request a receipt, leaving the collector open to the temptation to pocket not just the 20% but maybe in excess of 99%.