• Tweets

• Are you allowed to appeal if you plead guilty?   I know you appeal the sentence, but the criminal record formed from your guilt would surely remain?   I'm not sure if your able to appeal a crimianl record if you plead guilty are you?
    • DX: I did not pursue Link after I got the CCJ amended to monthly payments. Pretty sure the CCJ does not mention reviews, I do have the CCJ somewhere, I will have to look it up in storage. It is as mentioned on the thread you referenced  in your post #28. The Barclays loan was taken out in September 2004 for 60 months! Current Balance remaining approx £2K. On checking back my past correspondence with Barclaycard about this loan, there was a history of them ignoring my letters and offers to pay, and I even had problems in obtaining their bank account details for them to accept my payments! I have received strange correspondence from them too, one referring to insurance which I did not have. They seem very disorganised! Barclaycard told me to pay "Masterloan" a while back and I now receive regular statements and arrears notices from "Personal Loans from Barclaycard" clearly marked Masterloan, they changed the account reference number! I have never requested a CCA on this account. I advised them of my change of address last September, but they are still sending, until today, statements etc. to my old address! I have received 2 letters from Barclaycard Loan today though, not opened them yet!!
    • Yes, a few months ago. They wrote back saying there was no CCA and the debt was unenforcable. I then started gtting bombarded with threatening emails from their 'litigations team' which have been sent to spam. I've now recieved the letter before claim with the PAP form enclosed, but still no CCA or even a letter from them to say the debt is deemed enforcable. Thank you.
    • That's a shame but not unexpected.  I'm not sure about your assumed  questions because I haven't been to court but I'm not sure about not accepting a criminal record. It could be a language thing but it isn't your choice unfortunately.  HB
    • Have you previously requested the agreement by a CCA request ?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Faulty Speedo causes speeding tickets

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4156 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I recently received 2 parking tickets through the post for speeding.

One was 57 in a 50 and the other 62 in a 50.

When the first one came through I was convinced I wasn't speeding but like many shrug my shoulders and accept it as I must have drifted with the traffic or something like that.

The second ticket I know for a fact I wasn't speeding, or if I was would only have been an indicated 2mph on my speedo

as I remember the incident and remember looking at the speedo before I got to the speed trap and as I was going through it.

It's a common location for the trap so I'm always extra careful around there.

This set alarms off with me as I know even I'm not that unlucky.

Checked over the car and nothing obvious was amiss.

A friend suggested to check to see if the speedo on my car was reading correctly as I've had a few electrical issues with my car lately

so went out for a drive armed with a couple of GPS units.

When I was driving at an indicated 51mph or so using cruise control the 2 gps units I had with me both registered 59 to 62mph.

I managed to trace this fault to a faulty brake control unit (my car uses the braking system to work out speed)

and replaced it and all is fine with the world again.

Unfortunately being my own worst enemy I can't prove it wasn't working before hand now.

Was wondering if any guru's out there had any suggestions if it's worth trying to defend the case or not? I think I know the answer but worth an ask isn't it.

I'm sorry but if you were 2 mph over the speed limit then you were still speeding... As for appealing due to the faulty speedo or part of your car, I don't think you have much chance as the upkeep of the car is your responsibility, well according to the people who issue the speeding tickets. This happened to someone I knew. Maybe someone else knows different.

Work for my local CAB but my views and advice are my own. Try AdviceGuide or Adviceline (08444 111 444) for CAB help ;)

Why would you get a parking ticket for speeding.??????????

Any way there is no defence here as it is down to the driver of

the vehicle to ensure the road worthiness and funtions of his

vehicle.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Why would you get a parking ticket for speeding.??????????

Any way there is no defence here as it is down to the driver of

the vehicle to ensure the road worthiness and funtions of his

vehicle.

Was just reading about the parking company scams and got confused ;-)

Pretty much what I was thinking up to now. Just a little annoying when I see all the dangerous driving out there and when I'm generally so careful something like this happens.

Thanks for the feedback up to now though guys.

Faulty speedo or not, I'm amazed you couldn't "feel" the difference between driving at 62mph rather than the legal 50mph on the road in question.

To be honest I was wondering why everyone had started slowing down a lot lately but lets be honest, you assume your speedo is working all the time don't you. Whan was the last time you thought "Is my speedo reading right?"

I have been switching between several cars lately as the missus keeps stealing mine so I ended up driving hers a lot, as well as friends cars etc. Small cars feel faster than big cars and so on. Her car is small, mine's a lot bigger in every way.

Sounds like excuses, which to an extent I guess they are, but you expect brakes and tyres to wear out but like I said you just assume speedos are right as there's no checks for them etc except when you get your speeding ticket....

• 1 month later...

It was a faulty ECU in the end, was corrupting data between all the different car modules and some of that information was speed data. Replaced ABS sensors, ABS unit and the ECU trying to figure out what it was. Sent a letter to the police explaining the situation with copies of the receipts etc and asking nicely if courts could be avoided and they are going to have a look into it. This was a month ago now so hopefully that's a good sign.

Maybe your wife was driving on one of the speeding occasions...............

H

44 years at the pointy end of the motor trade. :eek:

GARUDALINUX.ORG

Garuda Linux comes with a variety of desktop environments like KDE, GNOME, Cinnamon, XFCE, LXQt-kwin, Wayfire, Qtile, i3wm and Sway to choose from.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

a friend of mine was road testing a vehicle that had been diagnosed as a possible faulty cruise controller ,he was stopped for speeding ,explained to the officer the poss fault with the vehicle,also got the garage to back up his story from the initial service record fault and they cancelled the ticket.

maybe you should have took your car to a main agent dealer to check your speedo rather than d.i.y.

that way you would have corroberated evidence that the fault existed.

• 1 month later...

Are you not allowed to be 10% over the speed limit + 2mph before any prosecution. This allows any discrepancy in your speedo however it is calculated but that is the limit. Years ago when we had miners (remember those days) the leader of the miners union was done for speeding. His defence was the cruise control in his jag was faulty, his speeding fine was quashed.