Currys rejected Television claim. "RESOLVED"

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4278 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have accidentally damaged my TV after having it for around 10 months... i am paying extra KNOWHOW insurance monthly and was told it was covered for all accidental damages etc, it was broken on the stairs once i brought it home from university!! I sent it off to be repaired and was notified by voice mail my television hasn't been repaired and needs re-collecting. I wrote this letter:

I am writing this letter as my television was sent back from PC world without being repaired or any other actions being offered; I was notified by voicemail to write a letter with more information on how the damage has occurred.

I bought the television whilst I was a University in Leeds and had to bring it home for the summer, once I had the TV back at my house it was getting it up to the third floor, once I was on second floor I accidentally tripped and the TV fell onto the corner of the table by the next set of stairs. This resulted in me falling onto the TV, twisting and bruising my hand.

The TV is covered for all accident damages, which in my case it has happened by accident and there was nothing I could have done to prevent these damages.

I then was told i would receive a call from a private investigator, i answered all of his questions and was told i would receive a reply within a week maybe two. 16 days later, [name edited] replied saying it was rejected, that was it, no reason or anything!!

This is the next letter i sent and i sent and i am yet to have a reply, 21 days and waiting!!

I am absolute disgusted in the way I have been treated towards making this Television claim, the accident occurred over a month ago, every time I was given a time I would be contacted, it has happened at the very end instead of been told straight away. It would have been a different matter if I had missed a payment, use would have been on my back straight away and I would have faced fines. When I received the call from the private investigator and I answered all of his questions the only thing he said that could be used against me was carrying it on my own.

When I bought the television from PC World in Leeds, I carried it from the back of the store to the till, they watched me take it out of the store on my own and back to my accommodation, as they seen I was capable of doing so. They didn’t say two people had to carry it or offer me another option. I carried it less than half a mile, I set it up on my own after taking it to the fifth floor, all easy to do. Carrying it in my house once I broken up from University, taking it up the stairs was no problem; it all happened after an accidental trip, this would of still happened if there were two people carrying it. I would class myself as a strong build person, I could understand if I found the weight to of been heavy. I am not stupid enough to try and do something if in the back of my mind I can see it going wrong.

When I bought this TV I was told it was covered for accidental damages and other things, I even took out extra KNOWHOW insurance as I was advised highly to do so. As it took me ages to save up and with it costing a lot of money I knew with this insurance Id always have it. You were quick to sell the insurance but not follow it through when something had happened. I was worried when I accidentally dropped it and visited the store in Teesside twice, both times I was assured that in my case it will be sorted, repaired or replaced and got told not to worry about it.

I have been paying this £7 extra insurance for around 10 months I believe, which now seems like a bad idea. It took me a long time to save up for this Television and my claim is being rejected due to what is known as an ‘accident’. I have never made a claim like this before. Due to me being a Multimedia student I would class myself as a very loyal customer to PC world, not only me, but also my whole family. All of my technology is always from this store and I feel like I am being robbed from something I deserve. In last few years I have bought things like:

· 3D Television

· Apple Mac

· Macbook Pro

· Ipad

· Sony Ipod Docking System

· dLAN Wireless Powerline Adapter

· Printer/Scanner

The list goes on. I am always using this store for updating my things and adding to what I already have. I am only home for 2 months until I go back to University and have already waited more than a month, I ask kindly if you could go over my claim again and respond in better timing with hopefully a better result. If this is un-successful again, I will be looking to take this claim further.'

I have now waited over 2 months, nothing has happened, im sick of waiting, what is my next steps can anyone help me win this case!! Thanks.

Edited by honeybee13
Name removed as it is not needed.

42 inch 3D Toshiba LCD.

Carrying it up the stairs and tripped going around the bend on the 2nd floor and there a hallway table that it fell onto and crack the screen, spoke to currys the shop and they said its covered etc have nothing to worry about etc :/

im going to guess they are trying to say with it being a 32" there should have been two carrying it

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

kinda!! But when i got the TV when it was in the box, they let me carry it from one end of currys to the other, as im a big built person they didnt have any questions or concerns me doing this alone. With the television being out of the box, no stand on etc, its not heavy and plus with how my stair way is it was easier for one person to do it, if their was 2 people the trip would of still happened.

Why keep mucking about with currys? send them a LBA ( letter before actionlink3.gif ) give them 7 days to respond, if they don't then issue a Money Claim Online (MCOL). There is a fee for this, but you can claim this back as your costs in the claim.

Companys like Currys sell these insurance policys, then do everything they can to get out of paying!

Time to start fighting BACK!

Who do i write the LBA too.....

theres currys, theres whatever happens, theres Gary Perryment.......

i wrote a letter out already basically demanding answers and evidence and about the agreement etc....which i was going to send too Whatever happens!! Gary clearly not messaging back its 24th day now!!

Hi DannyR90

Send it to Curry's Registered address. Also I have no doubt that Curry''s employees would carry a 42" TV by themselves. No doubt they have deliver drivers who do that. Also read 12 and 13 in my signature, if your not sure ask. Send the LBA Recorded.

Here's some info:-

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/making-a-complaint/taking-a-dispute-to-the-small-claims-court/sample-letter/

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/making-a-complaint/taking-a-dispute-to-the-small-claims-court/using-the-small-claims-court/

Who do i write the LBA too.....

theres currys, theres whatever happens, theres Gary Perryment.......

i wrote a letter out already basically demanding answers and evidence and about the agreement etc....which i was going to send too Whatever happens!! Gary clearly not messaging back its 24th day now!!

well i prepared the next letter i am sending... which ill send to currys it isnt a LBA letter but should i state on the bottom of it if nothing is resolved from this letter my next steps will be a letter before action and ill take them to court or something..

sorry but im so stupid when it comes to stuff like this.

if its still in the box does it warn of two person lift on the box?

I have no doubt that Curry''s employees would carry a 42" TV by themselves

well in store they use flatbed trolleys - in the repair center they are placed on a foam trolley and its a rule that it must be two people for a telly of that size

im going to guess the tellys a 42vl863/42wl863 its not in the manual for those tellys but it is likely to be on the box

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

They were no trolleys or nothing no, they expected me to get it to take to the till which i did do, they seen i was able to do so and said it will be no problem, i also asked if it was hard to set up etc, he said easy to do myself... does not state on the box has to be carried by two people. With my stair ways being thin and steep steps it would of been harder two of us doing it. If they never indicated it was fine for me to take it myself, set it up myself, it shouldn't be an issue if it was damaged through mishaps carrying it myself. They pestered me getting this extra insurance which im still paying now without the tele and the only reason i took it was it was covered for accidental damage. :/ but i know what you guys are saying it was risky, but i wouldnt be stupid enough to do something if i wasnt 100% sure i could do it, as it was an accidental trip it could of still happened anyway!! ahhhhhh

Was sent about 25 days ago..

there was no reason why it been rejected or a explanation.. basically just said, sorry to say your claim is rejected, Gary Perryment. END OF.

plus why im angry about it is.. i was led into believing it would still have been resolved...

The guy i reported it too said its still fine, called into currys twice, spoke to knowhow team they said its fine...

Make enquiries on the phone and they said im covered etc, the private investigator said that wasnt a big deal at all, my first claim etc should pull through and win... and was like not to worry about it, i had good reasons why my family couldnt have helped me, explained the way my stairs were it was harder for two etc. What a blag this whole situation is...

I sent that letter i done the other day, give them 7 days.. see what they respond with, then letter of action getting sent, so will prepare that tomorrow or tuesday, then will take them too court. How much will it cost for me at first and what can it go up too, if i lose its all out my pocket isn't it?

Costs are HERE for the claim.

No-one can tell you what it can go up to IF Curry's win, and IF the judge awards them costs.

Their sales teams say their cover protects against everything, it's so much better than your household policy etc. etc. but with all insurance it only works out beneficial to them if they never have to pay. A court claim is the last resort, so think it through thoroughly, but if you do write a LBA you need to make good on your word... I bet they recieve 100's of "I'll take you to court" letters, and only 1 or 2 of them actually follow thrugh.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

In fact it's easier now with the flat screens sets, seen it also may be spend a day at Curry's stock depot or any other depot, you will be surprised.

How do you know this?

Personally, I think you'd have to be a bit daft to carry a TV of that size by yourself and if you do it's taking a big risk damaging it. By taking that risk, you eliminate the accidental nature of the incident as you knew about the risk before hand. They are so expensive I wouldn't take the risk even if I was sure I could carry it. If you are stronger than average then I can see why people would try it, but manufacturer's always advise a two man lift due their weight/shape. If you do that then you have taken all reasonable steps to ensure care of product and the claim could be called accidental due to this. By carrying it yourself you aren't and I bet most (if not all) insurance policies would treat it same at Currys.

That's probably more to do with Health & Safety, if they made Danny carry the sets, because they didn't provide a trolley because they weren't adhering to Health & Safety, maybe he should complain about that too, what if he dropped the set? There will be company policy regarding customers lifting products in store - Health & Safety, probably a nice Training DVD.

if its still in the box does it warn of two person lift on the box?

well in store they use flatbed trolleys - in the repair center they are placed on a foam trolley and its a rule that it must be two people for a telly of that size

im going to guess the tellys a 42vl863/42wl863 its not in the manual for those tellys but it is likely to be on the box

If your claim has has been rejected you want a full explanation as to why?

Was sent about 25 days ago..

there was no reason why it been rejected or a explanation.. basically just said, sorry to say your claim is rejected, Gary Perryment. END OF.

plus why im angry about it is.. i was led into believing it would still have been resolved...

The guy i reported it too said its still fine, called into currys twice, spoke to knowhow team they said its fine...

Make enquiries on the phone and they said im covered etc, the private investigator said that wasnt a big deal at all, my first claim etc should pull through and win... and was like not to worry about it, i had good reasons why my family couldnt have helped me, explained the way my stairs were it was harder for two etc. What a blag this whole situation is...

I've never said 'trolleys' weren't ever used, have I? Companies have inhouse Health & Safety rules/standards, if I spent a day at Curry's stock depot, what would I find? Maybe that's why you asked 'how do I know?'.

'Rebel11 - I have seen many a TV lifted in Curry's and only ever seen the two wheeled trolleys used - sorry. So it's certainly not the rule that they are carried by one person. If we were talking about a 24" TV then it's a different case entirely. But we aren't.'

Do they? Or are you generalising now..

I've bought several goods, and had that same sales patter every time. All competitive sales have to make people doubt the product they currently have, and make out their product does more. I would bet that Curry's are target orientated to get sales of these "care plans" (what an oxymoron that is!) and whenever you pressure people to hit tight targets they will worry more about the target than if the product is correct for the customer.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

to

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

C.A.G. Toolbar

I've never had a document because I never take the policy, but by the time I'd recieve a document I'd have accepted the policy on what had been said to me....

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

I'm very clued up on what goes on, so any assertion you make that they all adhere to Health & Safety is incorrect.

In fact sometime ago I saw a Curry's delivery lorry with stock rattling around in the back because the stock hadn't been secured, a single delivery driver. And he was in an almighty rush.

So you don't know that the staff carry the TVs by themselves then. I thought you knew that they did, my mistake.

locutus - no service agreement or insurance policy (for that matter) covers EVERYTHING. There are always limitation's and exclusions and if a sales staff said it covers everything then you could quite rightly pull them up on it and get them to clarify it. Considering they give you (they did me anyway) a document that clearly states what those exclusions are, I don't see how it can be argued. If I was told one thing and then given a document that said otherwise right after I would want to know why.

Hi CCMRob

You ask for hard facts, a single delivery driver carrying out delivers, going like his life depends on it, that isn't an assumption, maybe Curry's have given him special powers, by the way he wasn't delivering batteries. If I honestly thought I could do it successfully, yes I would.

'rebel11 - You may well be very clued up rebel, but so far all I have seen are assumptions and no hard facts. Can I ask you a question, would you have carried a 42" LCD TV up steep, narrow stairs by yourself? Bearing in mind they aren't as light as LED TVs...'

The trouble is they sell this like insurance, then don't want to abide by the regulations that govern insurance. Handing a leaflet at point of sale does not matter if it's been sold as "greater than your household policy" (which is what their sales people try on me EVERY time) their main point always seems to be you don't have to pay any excess if you have an accident. A consumer should not expect to have to double check what has been said. As a company, Curry's sales staff are their voice, and as a customer we don't expect this voice to be a lie. Next time you're buying something (if it is in a store that doesn't know you) see if you can get them to cross the line. I think you'll be surprised with what some sales staff will say to get a sale.

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

One of your posts on here said "Also I have no doubt that Curry''s employees would carry a 42" TV by themselves.

Nothing wrong with what I've said.

No doubt they have deliver drivers who do that" Look at the words you have used, you don't sound 100% sure of your comments.

Having worked for quite a few retailers, I'm 100% sure.

When you use the word "no doubt", this is insinuating an assuming. Not necessarily, that's what you want it to mean.

If you knew for FACT what you were saying was right, then you would have said " "Also I know for fact that Curry''s employees would (and do) carry a 42" TV by themselves. I also know that they have deliver drivers who do that" or something along those lines.I'm really not sure what your going on about, but you've probably seen it many times.

labrat has already told you that they use trolleys in store and in the repair center they use flat trolleys with a two man lift at all times with TVs that are that size.

Regarding the delivery driver, again assumptions. How do you know it wasn't empty cages or lifting equipment that was rattling.

Because the back was open and I saw that it was stock, before he closed it. The lorry was driven off, it was 20 metres away and it was making a racket.

The noise could have been a load of different things.

No it was stock.

So what if he was in a rush, again he could have had a dozen reasons to be rushing.

Maybe because he was on his own and didn't want to fall behind on his deliveries.

Also, I would imagine Currys have thousands of deliveries a year, are you really basing this once experience to judge the entire operation on?

Well in your earlier posts, you pretty much say they all use trolleys etc, that's not my experience, I don't think it's yours either.

From my experience of the shop, they have always used manual handing aids to lift heavy goods. They are too expensive not to.

Maybe that could explain why some products end up having faults.

Locutus - Being mis-sold cover is one thing. It is a whole other thing to try an deliberately get them to make a mistake. Again i've never had issue with the Coverplan/Whatever happens. If I want it, I take it. If I don't want it I politely say no thanks and that is that. I know what it does and I know what it doesn't cover. It does have benefits that the SOGA and house insurance has drawbacks on, these aren't denyable facts. But it's down to the consumer to decide if it's right for them in their case.