Early Termination of Fixed Term Tenancy Agreement problem - agent has failed to find a new tenant.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3247 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi. This is probably discussed a lot so I will be brief.

We informed our landlord (via agent who has handled all of this) that we wished to leave our (fixed term, no break clause) contract early on the 25th of May. We stated our wish to move out on the 2nd of August and this was agreed to by both parties on the condition a new tenant was found.

In the meantime, assuming that 2+ months would be a long enough time to find a new tenant, I and other tenants have found new places to live and entered agreements. The 2nd of August is fast approaching (just over a week away), however, and the agent has failed to find a new tenant.

We live in a 3 bed in Highgate, London which is a desirable area so it should really be easy for them to find new tenants - especially over a long period of time. I have seen the flat advertised at a ridiculous £50 more per week than the £400pw we currently pay for it which it is certainly NOT worth, though within the last week they have lowered the asking rent to £425 which is more reasonable but still high. We are also expected to pay a fee to the agent for this 'service' of finding a new tenant.

I am interested to know if we can somehow claim that they have failed to effectively search for new tenants, and what my rights are in this situation. It is difficult to find more info on the web and my local CAB is hard to access at times, especially when working.

I am really frustrated by this situation. My main bother is that we have given them so much notice and they have failed to find new tenants - it seems ridiculous to me.

Thanks in advance for any help, tips, etc.

Henry

Hi Henry

read this sticky up the top of the forum It contains all that you need to know really... Not the best news for you though I am afraid..

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?116844-Tenant-leaves-early-whether-landlord-has-a-duty-to-mitigate-his-losses-new-caselaw

• Confused 1

I am not a solicitor :!::!:

Most of my knowledge came from this site :-D:-D

If I have been helpful in any way at all .............. Please click my star..... :-(:-(

Thanks for the direction. I have basically been thinking that we have to suck it up and hope for the best, continuing to pay rent. Luckily me new house is beautiful and I have some money saved & no other massive financial obligations. This might have to be a lesson learned for the future.