Being accused of selling a dodgy car, getting quite upset about it and not sure how to handle it

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4293 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've just sold my car on auto trader to a local guy. He came to view twice and seemed pretty happy with it. He knocked me down on price from £700 to £500 for a 2001 peugeot 307, because it needed 2x tyres and had a blowing exhaust? He was quite knowledgable on cars and seemed to know what he was talking about.

The problem came a few days later when he said he had done an online check for mots and "found out" it had had some welding done for its last mot. I did put this on the advert but didn't mention my ex had sorted it for me on the cheap. I originally took it in for an mot and it failed on 3 corrosion points and had some advisories. The quote to fix was more than the car was worth so I phoned my ex and asked if the welding could be done cheaper elsewhere. He's not just a diy guy, he is a trained mechanic. He offered to do it for a lot cheaper and then take it to a garage for it's mot. I agreed and the car was fixed. The new mot was done at a different garage and had none of the advisories that the old fail sheet had. My ex simply said the garage I took it to was keen. I drove it for another 6 months then decided to sell it because it had a couple of dings (small ones) and wasn't looking as nice as it used to.

Have I done something wrong here? He's saying the mot was "bent" and I sold him a dangerous car. The 3 welding spots were on the 2 rear seat belt areas and one of the sills. It was undersealed afterwards. The advisories were for slight corrosion, a cv something and a tyre that was low but not illegal.

What do I do now? Do I have to take the car back? The tax is due to run out at the end of this month, the v5 has already been sent off. Its going to take about 2 months to get the paperwork sorted with the dvla. I also don't want to take it back if it's going to come back in a condition that I can't resell ie 2x extra keepers, short mot, no tax and stood for 2 months. He's sent a few nasty texts and e-mails saying I'm a liar and other things.

Help would be great, thank you.

you pointed out the welding was done, the MOT is legit its a private sale you have done nothing wrong, I think he is getting the wrong end of the stick regarding the advisories.

I suggest you sit tight and keep the nasty texts, the emails and the original advert

Better still, tell them to take it to the garage that did the mot and take it up with them. The pass for the mot is down to the garage and not down to you.

My son took his car for an not 2 weeks ago and it failed plus had a lot of advisarys yet the second garage I took it to failed it on 3 things and had 1 advisory, second garage was a more reputable one as well and they found less wrong with it.

Thanks guys. After he did the mot check he text me demanding to see a receipt for the work. I told him about my ex doing the work because the garage wanted too much money and he started talking about misrepresenting the car, court and reporting me to trading standards/vosa. He said I had just taken it to a friend to get the mot done without the work. I offered my ex's number so he could confirm but he said he couldn't believe the word of a stranger. I told him to get it checked at a garage but he says I should pay for this.

Should I pay for the car to be checked at another garage so he can be sure the work has been done? I imagine it wont cost that much, maybe £50 or so. I resent the way he's being speaking to me but I could do without the headache. He's pushing to return the car but like I said before, I'm concerned that by the time it comes back to me it won't be worth as much.

No No No Stop talking to him, send him nothing, tell him nothing. You're a woman he is a man and thinks he can get one over on you because you are talking cars. You don't pay for anything further, he knocked £200 off even though the price you were asking attracted him to start with.

Please just ignore him. If he wants any action, let him take it but insist only comms in a letter.

Ok, we're currently talking through e-mail so I'll keep them all just in case. Will send one final one saying it was described correctly and the work was done. If he has valid reasons to believe otherwise then he can take it further. Thanks for your help. x

Leave the buyer to it now. If there still not happy and think the mot is dodgy then its down to them to take it up with the garage that mot'd it. So long as you no the work was done then your clear of anything this person tries to do.