JobCentre won't help me to get training

vic81
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4282 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I have been claiming JSA for 9 months. I really want to do a course called IRATA which is rope access. I even have a guy who will give me a job if I get the certificate but it costs £800.

My JobCentre adviser said he would apply for funds for me. He didn't tell me who he was applying to. Then when they said no, he tried another fund. He will never tell me what these funds are and so I can't even appeal or write a letter to help my case! When he submitted my last try, he didn't even send all my paperwork together and admitted he'd forgotten to send the letter that promised me a job after the course. Weeks later he showed me an email saying "application unsuccessful" and no other details.

When I asked for more he said he had deleted the email. I have a friend who got a course and transport paid but I am being told they will pay nothing for me. I just want a chance to do the course and get a career and my life back. Shouldnt they be rewarding my wanting to get off benefits rather than paying me the JSA! This has gone on for months I could be employed by now. They even said why don;t I just get a loan...as if I have no money for repayments and noone lends to the unemployed

Does anyone know of any funds/grants or JobCentre thing I should be asking my adviser for, or if I can appeal against this sort of thing? Or even some clue as to whether the JobCentre has any discretionary funds I could beg for?

Thanks for any help!

Try the Princes Trust, as they provide funds for such things, depending on age.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hi

Thanks, but I am 31 so I can't get anything, and I've not been made redundant so I can't get anything, and in general I just can;t find any help...I'd be more than willing to pay it back once in employment but banks won't lend (I have no family lost parents before I was 3)...running out of the will to fight because they are saying I have a couple more months before workfare will start - I just don't want to be on this scrapheap and have tried applying for any old job to get paid to save for the course but nothing doing...please if anyone knows anything about funds or JobCentres (how to persuade them to help)...thanks

Yup my partner had the same problem. Since being made redundant about 3 years ago he has really struggled to find work. A year or so ago he was offered a job for a security firm, watching cctv and the likes...but he needed his security certificate(unsure what its called). The company wrote a letter stating he would definitely have a job if he did the course required.

He told the jobcentre this and was told they couldnt fund things like that, he should lend from family...and that was the end of it. His, or my family, cannot afford to do that. Since then they have paid his JSA still as we simply cant afford to fork out so much money when we are both out of work. Must have cost them more to keep him on JSA than it would have to put him through the course.

Thanks, nice to know others in same boat...apparently there is some money for a course of their choosing, but none for one you would actually want to do and one which finds you work...oh dear the shortsightedness is shocking. Will fight this though, even thinking of putting an advert in the paper asking for a sponsor who I will repay once qualified...don't wanna give up my dream it's not just a qualification for me it's a career I really want! 8)

Thanks, nice to know others in same boat...apparently there is some money for a course of their choosing, but none for one you would actually want to do and one which finds you work...oh dear the shortsightedness is shocking. Will fight this though, even thinking of putting an advert in the paper asking for a sponsor who I will repay once qualified...don't wanna give up my dream it's not just a qualification for me it's a career I really want! 8)

Contact your local MP. You never know, they may be aware of benefactors in your area or other ways of obtaining a grant to do the course.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The government have cut funding for training, certification, all sorts of incentives. It's part of the brilliant strategy to get people back to work i.e. slam ALL the doors.

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

Being poor is like being a Pelican. No matter where you look, all you see is a large bill.

The government have cut funding for training, certification, all sorts of incentives. It's part of the brilliant strategy to get people back to work i.e. slam ALL the doors.

Sort of

My crackin (we had similar background so got on very well) JSA advisor Dave back in 2008 said you've got a budget of £100 per person for training. Now my manager will only sign off on that if it in anyway directly leads to a job! Since there are no jobs would like either some magic beans or hens teeth as they're more likely.

He advised me to look for EU funded courses and local colleges as it's the only thing on offer & would help me avoid the work program!

I was doing an access course a few years ago. The job centre made me leave because I was 30min over the 15 hours per week limit. My tutor even faked a timetable for me bit they wouldn't accept it. This tutor told me he sees it all the time people trying to get educated and ring knocked down by facile rules.

I could have a degree by now and possibly a high paid job therefore off benefits and paying more into the system.

I'm going back this year to start again and to hell with the job centre. I'll starve if I have to.

It makes no sense to me the government should be encouraging this sort of thing. If it gets you off the dole and into a reasonable paid job surely paying into the system and not taking out benefits us all. But no that makes to much sense....

The only funds I can think of are the ESF (European Social Fund) http://www.esf-works.com/

and the adviser discretionary fund which is an extrremeley limited fund of money which in all honesty probably has an overall budget all less that £800 for the month for all customers wanting to access the fund.

Once the ADF has been spent there is no additional money available from anywhere else for othwer customers wanting to access the funds which is why it is so restricted now.

I was on JSA a couple of years ago, I asked if they could fund a Basic Food Hygiene Certificate course (just a day or 2, £60) so that I could start the new small business I had planned. Was told they couldn't fund it. I was on JSA for 8 months, in which time they sent me on a CV writing course and wanted to send me on an interview techniques course, but I signed off just in time to get out of that one. Must have cost them more in that 8 months than funding £60 which would have seen me immediately sign off once I had the cert.

Never did start that business.

it appears that the only logical thinking about what this silly policy is they dont want people doing course's to get themselves skilled, start their won business etc. but rather eveyrone just learns how to apply for tesco, mcdonalds etc. Part of a longer game plan to drive wages down.