Caught Speeding, changed addresses, didn't chase up non fine and now have a £425 bill that I can't afford... Help!?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3589 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

The title gives away my distress in a nutshell, but I thought if I offer out the facts and see if there is a way out for me:

• 07/07/2011 - Caught speeding in Salford, 61MPH in 50MPH zone
  • Sometime between offence and below correspondence I confirmed that I was the driver
  • 05/10/2011 - Offer of fixed penalty notice or speed awareness course from Greater Manchester Police
  • 14/10/2011 - Send off "Form A" - a speed awareness course application form
    • All of the above information was sent to, and my replied from my old address in Manchester. On the speed awareness application form I indicated my address was old address in Manchester
    • I tried initially to apply for the speed awareness course online, but they were having system problems at the time
    • I have a photocopy of my signed application
    • The fee of £79.50 for the course was never taken from my account, I offered payment by debit card and wrote my details on the form

[*]04/11/2011 - Moved house, did not set up any post redirection (to save money!)

[*]05/11/2011 - Notified DVLA of home move did not notifty GMP or Drivesafe

[*]20/02/2012 - Convicted in Magistrates court of speeding

• I was unware of this at the time

[*]04/05/2012 - Case passed to Marstons Group to recover money

• I was unaware of this at the time

[*]08/06/2012 - Received letter from Marston's:

• "We are in possession of a Magistrates' Court Order as a consequence of non payment of the above fine. Your residence at the above address has been confirmed by the marston groups tracing & investigations unit. As you have failed to deal with this outstanding fine or respond to letters delivered to this and/or your previous address/es, we must inform you that unless the TOTAL sum due above is paid witihn 7 days of this letter, our bayliffs will attend to levy distress and remove goods for sale by public auction"

I can't afford to pay the fine and I'm petrified of the bayliff coming round. Is there a way I can get the debt reduced? I understand I have to pay the court fees but Marston's fees are very high.

I spoke with them and offered to pay in installments, they said that it all has to be paid within 6 weeks, I tried to counter offer but they insisted and a Bayliff is due to call in the next few days.

What can I do? Anything?

Correction, the date I from Marstons was 29th June 2012.

I have on my notes the 8th July as the date that I first received it (I have written on it when I call them etc)...

I'm going to post this in the magistrates sub forum as I think maybe that is more appropriate.

Thanks you to those that have viewed