Do I need a referral back to neurology?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3192 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This is really starting to **** me off:

Been under neurology on and off since I was at least 7 and have had various tests done. Discharged each time and told there's nothing wrong.

Had 2 scans last year and was told the first time that there's something that shouldn't be on my brain; but the neurologist can't work out what and neither can his team. I was told in May that I was born with 2 brain cysts. I was told that it shouldn't cause any problems, to come back if there's any problem and that he's discharging me.

2 months later, I'm getting headaches. I've seen my GP about this who looked at my eyes and said that everything is normal. (I've not noticed any eye trouble and had an eye test a few before seeing my GP) I was told to take pain killers and to come back if I'm still not well.

Still not feeling well and actually getting really fed up now. I feel as though the neurologist isn't taking me seriously. He hasn't bothered to find out what I've done to my neck and shoulder. (the original problem) I've been stuck with this neck trouble for the last 5 years and no-one has bothered to treat me. They decided that because physio doesn't work, (I was left in more pain after) they'll just leave it.

Do I need my GP to refer me back to neurology or can I just ask to see someone?

I think that if it's only 2 months since you saw the neurologist, and since he/she said "come back if there's any problem", then you probably don't need a referral. I would give their secretary a call ~ in my experience the secretaries are usually very helpful and will probably know about your case. The trouble is that nowadays the consultants themselves have little leeway. It may be the hospital management insist on a new referral from your GP and the consultant's hands may be tied in this. The secretary will know. I would think that, after only 2 months, you should be able to be seen without a new referral. But it would be the (non-medical) management who make the rules.

I hope you manage to get some help at last.