Mum Vs Barclaycard

Jaron78
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4280 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Morning Guys,

Been looking through the forums recently and have been working on claiming back money from Barclay Card.

My mother has had a Barclays Credit Card for some time now and unfortunatly got behind with the payments. Barclaycard contacted Mum and arranged a Payment plan, and they asked how come Mum had fallen behind. Mum explained that both herself and Dad had been ill, Mum had an Eye operation and Dad had a knee replacement.

The lady on the phone asked Mum "Why didnt you use the PPI you have on your account?"

Mum wasnt aware of the fact that she had PPI since taking out the card a good few years ago.

We wrote to Barclaycard and sent off the PPI Claimback form. We received the standard response that they will get back to us by the 17th July. Yesterday (20th July) we still hadnt had a response so we called them. The rude and obnoxius clown on the phone pretty much called us liars and said that they had sent a reply on the 11th July. He also said that the case was investigated and there wasnt going to be an offer as they did not think we had a case.

I stated that I wated this in writing and he said he will send it out immediatly.

Just not sure where to go from here.

Would someone please advise as we really think we do have a case here.

Many Thanks,

Ron

So there is PPI on the account, but they are for some reason not going to pay out on a claim ?

How long has the account been subject to a repayment plan ? I think that might affect any claim being made.

I wonder if it would be worth making a claim for mis sold PPI and trying to get all the premiums back.

When was the account opened.

When did the account default.

Unfortunatetely, any PPI will only pay out in respect of the owner of the account, so your father wouldnt be covered.

Suggest you keep any contact between you to writing.

I will flag your thread for others to look in on you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Can you confirm that whilst there is a repayment plan in place, that PPI is still being applied to the account ?

If she wasnt even aware it was on the account in the first place, that would be a good reason to make a claim for reclaiming the PPI back.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi

I agree with CB about the reclaim.

It reads like BC are refusing the reclaim in which case you need to wait until you get the refusal in writing. You can then go through and challenge their refusal points with them.

Be aware that any refund that may eventually be made could well be set against the card balance.

Yes, give them a few more days.

BCOBS

Hi Jaron,

If your parents are in Financial Difficulty, BC should not be charging any interest or penalty charges to the balance since the Payment Plan was implemented.

If the card was in arrears, I assume penalty charges were applied to the a/c before the Payment Plan was agreed. If so, you can reclaim the full amount of all penalty charges.

Go through the statements to identify all penalty charges for late, missed or bounced payments.

Let us know roughly how much the charges add up to and also roughly what period they span.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

• 2 weeks later...

Evening Guys,

Well we finally had a response from BC and as follows:

"We have identified that your application for PPI was submitted by Post. At the point of applying for PPI, as no advice was given process required you to select the type of cover you required. As a result we are not able to uphold your complaint"

Does this mean Mum cannot claim?

Many Thanks

Matters not that it was done in the post.

Get them to show you the evidence that she selected the PPI.

If she didn't know she had PPI then it is unlikely that she ticked a box and in any case there is a chance that maybe the box was pre-ticked.

When you put in your mis-selling complaint, what reasons did you give for the mis-sale?

To be honest, Im not 100% sure. We did put that it wasnt requested.

So do I respond asking for proof of application? Is there a template for this?

Sorry for all the questions, have been reading through and want to make sure I get it right.

There isn't a template, you need to compose your own letter challenging their finding.

In the PPI stickies you will find a thread entitled "some notes for claimants"....you will find more reasons for a mis-sale in there which you may be able to use is your letter.

Was your Mum 70 or older when she took this card?

Did you not keep a copy of your claim letter then?

And yes, you ask them to provide the evidence that she selected this product. Your Mum sounds adamant that she didn't request it so we need to find out who ticked the box.