HMRC Compliance Question and Experience of Visit!

JaffaJeo

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3427 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there!

As you might recall I had posted before, citing that I was registered as a self employed individual while also registered as a director for a company. For the year I recieved a compliance check (for both the limited company and my self assessment) about 80% of my income derived from me invoicing my limited company, and 20% from me invoicing (as an individual) other clients.

The commission work I did was artistic short term project orientated.

So I had the visit, and they went through my income and expenses, and seemed satisfied that the numbers added up. They had noted though that I had not included my income from invoicing my company (as salary) on my SA and had placed it in my self employed income.

They also queried about my projects - considering whether an investigation might be necessary to determine employment status (would that be IR35?)

I didn't hear anything for about 3 weeks and recieved an email requesting information on any projects (that were done with this and that individual) - that surprised me? Because while I can disclose that information it has nothing to do with my earnings? They ask to confirm information on said projects with individuals even though they occur outside the period for compliance investigation.

So im just wondering - at what point does their requests for information become unreasonable or just well fishing?

HMRC can only ask questions about anything that could be construed as wages/profit.

However, they are also allowed to have sight of the "working papers" in order to establish the quantum of the wages/profit i.e how you arrived at that figure

Gbarbm

I mean specifically my compliance was about income and expenses for both the company and myself. I just feel a bit weird being asked did you work with x or y person (not for as in a client but just -with) and on what projects - because it doesnt relate to my reported incomes or the period of investigation?

It kind of makes me think they've read about said projects online and who I worked with (but perhaps not knowing when they occured) on the suspicion that I might have done extra work (thus earnings) I hadn't declared to them? Though there also eager for me to specify adn breakdown with every individual project was by my company (ie. my company) or as a self employed person.

Do you think i should just cooperate with those questions or is it worth asking for clarification on why their asking etc? Bah Gharbm your the dude that knows stuff hehe what do you reckon :)