british gas.. can they do this

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3744 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi all

since i spend virtually my entire life on this site i have become the legal advisor to all my friends.. except im not, hence..

my friend has an electricity pre-payment meter, recently it was changed (by british gas) for a more advanced one..

she has just received this letter from british gas

Dear miss XXXX

As you know, we have recently changed your meter for a more advanced one. this will enable us to provide a better service with less inconvenience to you. we hope you have adapted to your new meter without any difficulties.

We previously wrote to you about thechange in unit rate on your former electricity meter. As your meter was one of the older style token meters, it could not be adjustedwithout a visit to your home. This means that although you have been purchasing credit through your meter, unfortunately you were not paying the correct tarriff for your electricity.

We have now calculatedthe amount that you had credited through your old meter, and how much you should have paid in total. As a result of the inconvenience we may have caused you, the outstanding balance has been reduced to £24.26, this is now due for payment in full.

We understand that you could not have been able to anticipate this situation. As such there are two different methods by which you can repay this deficit;

*payment in full by debit card or cheque

* balance added to your meter

blah blah blah

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this has caused.

yours sincerely

british gas

they have already taken £5.00 from her meter, she rang them to complain and the guy admitted it was their fault.but there was nothing they could do abd she would have to pay.. at no time did they require access to her home..

does she have to pay?

thanks k

cap one - prelim letter sent 23/8 £460 owed

partial refund, now sod off letter received 6/9

lba 5/10, claim served 30th jan,

CAP ONE SETTLED IN FULL 15thTH FEB!!!

lloyds card services - prelim sent 23/8 £332 owed

sod off rerceived 25/9

lba 26/9

claim issued via mcol 13/10

awaiting papers from SC&M

court date set for 26th March

nat west - Data Protection Act sent 11/7.. non compliance.. considering court action.

non compliance letter sent 29/8 giving them a further 7 days- gave them loads more days!!

5/10 lba sent for pre action disclosure

settled in full 2.1.07

cahoot - Data Protection Act sent 7/8 on hold for a while

Tesco - prelim sent 6/10 £200 owed

I can't give you chapter and verse, but the monery paid into any meter is a consideration for services supplied, and if the mechanism is wrong or in error, the consumer must reasonably make up the difference. You say they'ce made a goodwill credit bringing the bill down to £24 odd... how much had it been reduced by? I'm assuming the difficulty is due to requiring to find this lump sum. It surprises me that if their meter is that futuristing, they should be able to reprogram it to pay of this small debt in stages with the normal payments that are made using a payment card. Why not suggest this to them?

Them not calibrating your meter is their fault for not sending somone down. However it is for electric you have used. So its kinda like 50/50.

The meter change was from token to key so the key meter can also collect debt. With it being such a small amount I would phone them and offer to pay 50% back (as this is in the ombudsman guidelines for suppliers) and have it taken through the key meter at one pound a week. Let us know how you get on with this.

I am a consumer helping other consumers. Together we can and will make a differance. Please double check any information or advise I may give as I like yourself am learning as I go along in life.

1) give a small donation to this site to keep it going because without this forum I would know nothing.

2) Use your experience to help somone else on another thread.

Please do not PM me, my mail address is my username at this site address . I will not under any circumstances give out advise or help through mail, only on the open forum, however feel free to mail me to point me towards your thread and general talk etc.

If your friend contacts BG they will let her to make arrangements to pay it off at £5 a week or whatever she can afford. They will arrange for the meter to take this amount automatically on a set day each week.

They won't demand she pays it in full when it is their fault.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

thanks to you all for the response its very helpful, will pass on your comments and let you know what happens.. thanks again

k

cap one - prelim letter sent 23/8 £460 owed

partial refund, now sod off letter received 6/9

lba 5/10, claim served 30th jan,

CAP ONE SETTLED IN FULL 15thTH FEB!!!

lloyds card services - prelim sent 23/8 £332 owed

sod off rerceived 25/9

lba 26/9

claim issued via mcol 13/10

awaiting papers from SC&M

court date set for 26th March

nat west - Data Protection Act sent 11/7.. non compliance.. considering court action.

non compliance letter sent 29/8 giving them a further 7 days- gave them loads more days!!

5/10 lba sent for pre action disclosure

settled in full 2.1.07

cahoot - Data Protection Act sent 7/8 on hold for a while

Tesco - prelim sent 6/10 £200 owed

I was caught out by my gas supplier for something similar.

despite providing meter readings, they continmually estimated my bill. then in Jan this year did a catch up bill of over £1000. I now have to pay £140 every four weeks. Cant really aford it but if I dont pay it or pay less they send me threatening letters etc etc. Contacted Ofgem and theysaid that technically I am liable for the amounts and I have to pay somethign like 10% of the outstanding bill an dthey are allowed to request that oustanding amount is paid back over 12 months.

Flipping well stinks if you ask me.

To make matters worse, they just keep putting up the price of the gas, so the amount I pay keeps rising but I cant even switch to a better supplier as I have such a large outstanding debt with.

Allyxia

KEEP FIGHTING FOR YOUR MONEY - EVEN WHEN IT GETS TOUGH

The Banks are somewhere which lends you an umberella when it is sunny, and takes it away when it rains

HSBC £1200 - Settled in Full

Cap 1 2 X £100 - Settled in Full

Nationwide £1641 - Settled in Full inc Default and CCJ Removed by Court Order

NatWest £2215.60- Settled in Full and Removed Default Natice

Woolwich £3690 - Settled in Full

You are liable as long as the catch up bill does not exceed 2 years. Gas should be coming down around february. If your on benifits you only gotta pay 3 pound towards the debt and your consumption.

I am a consumer helping other consumers. Together we can and will make a differance. Please double check any information or advise I may give as I like yourself am learning as I go along in life.

1) give a small donation to this site to keep it going because without this forum I would know nothing.

Please do not PM me, my mail address is my username at this site address . I will not under any circumstances give out advise or help through mail, only on the open forum, however feel free to mail me to point me towards your thread and general talk etc.

Unfortunatelt not on bend so just gota cough up for it! Im not sure when the bill dates back to to be honest they never realy identified it! they justmade it look like a normal bill and its was only when I woke up from the shock and clled them they clarified it was for the under estimate.

Maybe I should draft a letter to them?

Allyxia

The Banks are somewhere which lends you an umberella when it is sunny, and takes it away when it rains

Yeah send them a letter, or phone them and ask for a manager. You could even do a SAR on them so you know exactly what they have billed you for.

Thing to watch for on a catch up bill is it doesnt go beyond 2 years and also they are not billing you on the new prices what you previously used on the old prices. So like if they estimated you used 50 units a month but you really used 100 units a month. over 2 years this is 1200 units billed at wrong price. Gas has doubled in last 12 months nearly so it makes a differance of possibly 100s pounds.

thanks ozz

Allyxia

Hi guys,

Just read this thread. British Gas recently told me that I had underpaid on a pre-payment metre. When I asked how, I was told that when they had their price increase, the rates on my metre were not changed. I said surely that was their fault not mine so I refused to pay the outstanding £114. When my next bill came in (I got rid of the pre-payment metre) I was in Credit!! I phoned and asked how I was suddenly in credit not debit, they said the £114 had been removed from my account as it was a mistake on their part not mine!!

Don't know whether or not this is of any help, but thought I'd let you know. I think it's worth arguing with them, they seem to give up after a while.

Nationwide

13/10/06 - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent

01/11/06 - Statements received

02/11/06 - Prelim letter sent

11/11/06 - Standard response to prelim

14/11/06 - LBA sent

17/11/06 - Standard response to LBA

04/12/06 - MCOL Issued

06/12/06 - MCOL Acknowledged

07/12/06 - Paid (almost in full)

HSBC

14/10/06 - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent

25/10/06 - Statements received

02/11/06 - Prelim letter sent

23/11/06 - LBA sent

31/01/07 - MCOL Issued (finally!!)

07/02/07 - MCOL Acknowledged

Thanks for the advice, I even got Offwatch onto my case, all its did was get £140 knocked off (beta than nothing I suppose), notideal but we gone be remortagaing in Dec and Im just gona get rid of the debt to free up my money outgoings!!!!

Allyxia

• 4 years later...

BG Homecare....dont touch it. They claim they will fix you boiler parts and labour free. They came to me and told me that I need a new heat exchanger...then in the next sentance said it will be charged at an additional £150.00!!......On the basis that I live in a hard water area and the BG Terms and Conditions state that parts and labour are not included in hard water areas because of issues concerning scale build up. For christs sakes....The whole of the South East is a hard water area...every area is prone to scale build up!!!! So, this means if you call them out for any reason all they have to say is...."Sorry you live in a hard water area you are not covered" therefore the homecare service is not worth the paper its printed on