Buying boots from Mountain Warehouse

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3428 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Last week I bought a new pair of walking boots from one of the Mountain Warehouse stores.

The first time I wore the boots I found them to be very slippery when walking, having little or no grip. It felt about the same as walking on ice. I queried this with the company who have been most unhelpful. They say the boots are made for "rough terrain".

No where in the advertising of the boots does it mention they are not suitable for general wear such as walking on paths, roadways or other normal surfaces.

Could anyone please advise how I should procede with either getting the boots exchanged or my money back from this company?

Hi barry

Welcome to CAG

Have a read of 12 and 13 in my signature. How did they describe the shoes?

Please let us know how your problem has been resolved, it could help fellow Caggers.

Thread has been moved to the correct forum.

Thanks for the help. I've added below the description Mountain Warehouse use for the Ascent 2 boots. Nowhere can I see does it mention they are likely to be slippy on normal surfaces

The men’s ascent 2 hiking boots are a highly waterproof and breathable pair of boots. Made from suede and cordura outer, an EVA midsole and a vibram outsole the Ascent 2 boots are a hard wearing durable boot suitable for moderate to hard terrain.

Vibram Sole

The Vibram outsole is the hardest wearing sole on the market suitable for tough terrain while continuing to provide support and comfort for your feet.

Three Season Boot

A 3 season hiking boot will be required on paths that are steeper and more difficult than those found in lower level walking trips and where you will be walking in most seasons and most weather conditions, except for snow & ice. The sole should provide effective support and the boot will be fully waterproof, as well as having an effective grip and tread to prevent slippage in rocky terrain.

From my experience shoes that would have little friction on concrete / mud would generally have little friction on an scramble / incline for which has similar conditions (as inclines you use hiking boots for are generally muddy..)

I can't speculate on how good the friction is on normal surfaces but would generally argue that point for s.14 Not fit for purpose

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

• 2 years later...

The boots they sell as waterproof aren't. I bought a pair, walked on some wet grass and water poured in. Apparently, they are only waterproof up to 2cm. Here's what their customer service rep said when I tried to get a refund:

"Yes, Waterproof up to 2cm above the featherline, which is where the Waterproof membrane sits, located at the bottom of the shoe. Much like a sock. Of course, we would not recommend using them on damp or wet grass as the grass can penetrate the material causing the water to be drawn down into the boot, making your foot wet.

As previously advised, we would recommend a full leather boot for this"

Any tips to get a refund?