DirectLine - Complete Disaster - Car Insurance

jeff270179
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4258 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I purchased a car in Dec09 which was HPI clear and looked in Mint condition.Soon after I noticed major problems with the car, had it inspected and found it to be a death trap!I took the trader to court and won, but the garage then closed and the owners went into hiding, they are now subject to a £500,000 fraud investigation and have left me being owed over £90,000 and has put my life at risk both financially and physically.It transpired that 10 months earlier the car had been in a severe head on collision and the insurance company was Direct Line.It took Direct Line 18 months to apply the write off marker to the vehicle so that it could be seen on HPI, this was 8-9 months after I purchased the car. So far 18 months this car had no history what so ever!A major series of failures occured during this 18 months: They did not know where the vehicle was located. *** The vehicle was abandoned 2 weeks in to the claim, Direct Line where never aware of this! *** Paid out to someone who did not own the car, as it went missing whilst under finance when owners company went bust! Failure to pay out to finance company Failure to seek out correct ownership No warnings placed against the vehicle throughout duration of claim. When Direct Line decided to settle the claim 18-19 months after the accident they even let the claimant retain the salvage.(As many of you may know, an insurance company should process a MIAFTR check which looks at ownership, finance and security warnings. When DirectLine paid out none of the above was acted upon)I have contacted Direct Line Executives and now RBS group legal - and after 8 months recieved a letter saying liability denied. This was then put to them again stating their failures, to date no response.I have been to all the government agencies and that has been as useful as a hole in the head, no one is willing to pursue this as I was not the owner at the time of the accident. In essence I am a third party that has incurred loss due to the fraudulent actions of others and the inability of a major insurance company to act under a duty of care to protect the public.Anyone any ideas? The paperwork I have on this is sickening and I cant believe there is no legislation or law that can assist me.

FSA - Surely a failure to deal with the original policyholders claim properly and to ensure records were correct, is something the FSA would be interested in. The same problem may affect other people and the FSA should be interested in investigating.

ICO- Data Protection. Accuracy of data issue.

Anyway in this instance, if you bought the car using finance, your course of action would be against your finance company. It is the only way I can see of getting your money back.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hi Unc, been to the FSA, they do not want to assist as I was not involved in the accident and was not the policy holder.I did put some of the value of the car on my card, however the bank declined to honour my claim, again the FSA could not help as they said this area was very sketchy for them to inforce, even though they agreed with me

The fsa fos are right, you are not an eligible complainant.

I don't think there are any hard and fast rules about miaftr, there could be to many potentials why this was put on at such a late date, the issue would also only have any recourse if it affected the customer in any way.

Your only action would be through the courts, potentially taking dl in as second defendant, you need to seek legal advice, and considering the quantum, make sure it's good..

Thanks, have been to solicitor, have good grounds against DL due to failures, the fact that they paid out on the car without noticing the ownership had changed, or that there was wanrings, outstanding finance at the of the accident.Your correct about MIAFTR, there are no rules on how long this takes to apply, but best practice is as soon as possible, as to delay this could be seen as covering a vehicles history.Problem is the cost, I have been told this could run up as high as £50,000.I have it on good authority that DL are in the wrong and have an obligation to rectify, I have even been told by the police to pursue them, its just that one person against a company of this size will be difficult

Simply becase at the time of purchasing the car the finance company had already found the vehicle, as they could find no details over the accident nothing was placed on MIAFTR to advise it was going through the insurance process they where forced to handle this internally, they removed the markers as per there process as they had no other way to proceed, This is why nothing was recorded when I purchased the car.The company I bought the car who did the HPI check also doctored the report, this is why I could not see the only warning on the car, which was a contact warning placed on the vehicle. This remained on the vehicle throughout the claim.The details of the accident was only placed on HPI 18 months after the accident, so I was completely unaware at time of purchase.

Hi Unc, been to the FSA, they do not want to assist as I was not involved in the accident and was not the policy holder.I did put some of the value of the car on my card, however the bank declined to honour my claim, again the FSA could not help as they said this area was very sketchy for them to inforce, even though they agreed with me

Pursue the card company. Surely they are liable. Section 75 ? If they think they are not liable, how do they explain this.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Been to the Financial Ombudsman for help with this also, because they failed to place notes on the system when I first notified them, they would not honour the claim. FO would not back me up as they could not prove my comments. Even though I had been to court and proved dispute.A lovely legal system

If I'm being honest I'm not sure where you can go from here, if your solcitor thinks you have agood case, then court may be the option.

As you probably know the onus is upon you the new purchaser to make sure the vehicle is legit etc, and whilst DL didn't mark MAIFTR until settlement,settlement could have been hampered by all sorts, the claim could have been withdrawn by the customer , under investigation etc, that in itself is not wrong, had it been a cat a or b I think you may have better grounds for recourse.

Your job is to convince the court that by not putting the MIAFTR marker on you would under no uncertain terms have bought the vehicle. You would need to convince the Court that the seller was not trying to pull a fast one and wouldn't have doctored the report if it was MIAFTR marked - the V5 wouldn't show it.

To try to state DL haven’t followed best practice is not something a court would (usually, but there are always the exceptions) look into , especially as you are not their customer and have no breach of contractual terms, no different than had you bought the car without issue, you then tried to claim for further repairs for this incident as they had not been carried out correctly.

They are under no obligation to tell the world about what they believe to be a dodgy claim, only what is required such as make a MIAFTR entry, I’m not sure about the legalities of miaftr as an ABI agreement or regulatory requirement. Issues such as the salvage category and the police comments can fail, because al DL have to do is satisfy that the engineers opinion was right and the time of inspection, they didn’t repair it, a lot could have happened in between.

The police, or certain officers have a tendency to give a bloke down the pub opinion.

Please don’t take me the wrong way, I'm not here to wind you up , if you can find arguments to my points, great as they may then give you the angle you need to win this, sometimes it's better to throw the negatives and be ready for your retaliation.This could potentially cost you a lot more to get nowhere.

There are others on the board who think a totally different way to me, and as the forum will prove I'm not always right. feel free to ask more, I'll try my best. I sincerely wish you the best of luck.

Edited by honeybee13
Editing in paras.

anyone know how to insert spaces/line between text? the above didn't look like that when I pressed send.

Some web browsers do this. Are you using chrome ? It seems to keep all the text together whatever you do. I use Firefox and don't have this problem.