Morrison's Complaint in Relation to Alcohol Sales Policy

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4257 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there

I have a question on how I should best escalate a complaint I sent to Morrison's for them refusing to accept my ID as a valid proof of identity. I used their online form, but the response I got said absolutely nothing valuable and reiterated what the clerk in the shop said while ignoring all that I had written into the original complaint.

Just to clear the situation: I tried to use an European ID card in order to clarify my date of birth, which the sales assistant refused to accept in lieu of it not being within their accepted list of documents. I didn't say anything else then and there, and left; and wrote a complaint last night which detailed my specific problem (their inability to consider that other ID might be acceptable by higher law than company policy given that it is valid within the UK by UK law and within the EU27 by European law). The response that I got was so very inadequate that I most certainly wish to bring it to the attention of someone else now.

What would be the best way, and who should I attempt to contact? The Store Manager?

Regards

NB! Just to prove my point, the same store has previously accepted the very same ID, and the "diligence" of the sales assistant yesterday was what resolved her to say no. I truly wish I had called the Manager then and there, but I was already annoyed by having had my train delayed for half an hour so I thought it best to leave, and to come back to the issue later on.

I know its irritating but retailers will always err on the side of caution when it comes to ID, if they are unsure whether to take it then its grounds for refusal. Companies are not bound to accept a card just because it is deemed a valid form of ID and European ID cards are not well known at all and there are far too many fakes out there to know if its genuine or not.

The fines and enforcement are too much and if a member of my staff refused the ID I would be backing them up.

Feel free to complain to the store manager and HQ but I would push the complaint into asking if they can look into providing training on ID cards as that is what is lacking, unless they are told they can accept them you will find it getting refused as the amount of pressure and training to only accept certain IDs is very very very high.

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

Yep, I know about that; I've worked in a similar environment myself, and my boss would always go with the person who questioned the ID, so I am not saying that they should not have done that, but rather, as you said, trying to get them to acknowledge other types of identification which should be legal by law. That is the point I made in my letter to them, because while I don't mind being asked for proof of age, I have a clear problem with people randomly accepting or not accepting my identification which is as valid as anything else they could see.

The problem was though that I was unaware how I should proceed to the next stage. Is writing an actual letter, addressed to the Store Manager out here, the best way to go about it, or is there something more reasonable ?

The trouble is that there are so many fake ID cards around that Retailers try to keep to a "smallish" list of what they will accept. You have to take into account that there is only so many types of ID that staff can reasonably be expected to accept as it is hard to verify if they are genuine. i would have thought a european ID card is a rare occurance and if the staff were not sure then they did the right thing.

If you want to take this further a letter to the store manager or customer relations at Head Office would probably be the next step coupled perhaps with a request for a list of what they consider acceptable ID.

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

• 1 month later...

They don't have to sell you anything if they choose not to, so they of course can choose which ID to accept.

I don't see how you expect to 'force' them to accept your ID - it's their decision.

By day, computer and mobile phone technical support... by night home mechanic and Rover / MG enthusiast!

Cars: 1998 Rover 620ti

Computers: HP nc8430 Business Notebook, Apple iPhone 3GS 16GB