Can I have some advice please RE: scan.co.uk warranty

mrsmagoo
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4268 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We brought a hard drive just over a year ago from scan.co.uk with a 2 year warranty.

It has recently failed so I sent it back.

They are saying that as they do not make/stock that hard drive anymore they cant/wont give a replacement and the best that they can do is give a £15 + vat refund when I paid £45ish.

I dont really want a refund would be happy with a replacement, is there anything I can do? Are they obliged to refund the full amount or replace the hard drive?

Thanks in advance

They are not obliged to give a full refund nor can you force them to do a replacement, the amount offered however does seem lower then it should. I would argue for something like £30 inclusive of VAT (i.e assuming a HDD should last 3 years and you have had a years use of it). Though feel free to ask for a replacement, HDD prices should have come down slightly too use that for bargaining!

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

They are not obliged to give a full refund nor can you force them to do a replacement, the amount offered however does seem lower then it should. I would argue for something like £30 inclusive of VAT (i.e assuming a HDD should last 3 years and you have had a years use of it). Though feel free to ask for a replacement, HDD prices should have come down slightly too use that for bargaining!

I always assumed a warranty meant that if they don't have the same product in stock they will have to replace it with a similar or greater product. How wrong am I?

warranty is bugger all to do with it

that is in ADDITION to your rights under SOGA

http://www.oft.gov.uk/business-advice/treating-customers-fairly/sogahome/forcustomers

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Depends on the T+C of the warranty, they dictate the terms and will usually have get out clauses. They are not worth the paper they are written on and generally should be ignored

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

I'd say £15 is a bit low. If we take it as reasonable that a Hard drive should last 5 years (and a decent one most certainly should, I have drives far old than this still working fine), then at £45 that would mean £9 per year. You've only had one years usage out of it, so really should be getting around £36 or so in refund.

Also, Hard Drive prices have actually gone up a little in the last 1 or 2 years due to the Tsunami in the far east a little while ago. Factories that manufactured vital components of Hard Drives were destroyed or severely damaged, so shortages of parts have driven prices back up compared to what they used to be.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi mrsmagoo,

I recently had a 1.5Tb drive fail like you I paid £45. The drive died within 2 years of purchase. As the price of HDD's has doubled the supplier Ebuyer stated they were unable to repair the drive and they were unable to replace the drive with a similar product due to the price increase. They refunded me approx £39 the £6 loss accounted for the use I had. They also paid for collection.

Offering you £15 on a £45 is not correct. The drive in theory should last 6 years so offering you 33% of it's purchase price is not right. Check the drives warrant on-line too, many HDD manufactures replace the drive for you. Some drives now have 5 years (WD black) warranty apart from Seagate.

What make is the drive? If they try to play the cost of diagnosis card tell them to do one you only need to read the S.M.A.R.T data on the drive to see the faults that takes a minute.

Mr P