1 litre petrol

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4293 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This may seem daft, but how much would I be charged if I decided to buy EXACTLY 1 litre of petrol if the price displayed is 129.9p per litre? My point is why the 0.9p? They used to charge 1/2p years ago but the difference is there actually was a 1/2p coin then. When did it become 0.9p and WHY?????

Yes, a bit of a rant but I am curious to know why they are allowed to display an amount it is impossible to actually pay. I cannot ever pay 0.9p so why charge it? Would I be expected to swallow the loss and pay 130p? Would they let me off the 0.9p and charge me 129p? If so, i could fill my car at 1 litre increments and save 0.9p every single litre!

So, anyone?

Oh. hello by the way. my first post and hopefully not my last.:-D

Pumps MUST be spot on and are regularly checked by trading standards weights/measures. A litre must be a litre, not 990cl.

There is no legal minimum AFAIK, but all pumps I have seen demand minumum delivery is 2 litres. So, I MUST buy 2 litres which is 259.8p. So, how exactly do I do that?

I have noticed that a lot of Tesco pumps will if you buy by £s will

if say you buy £20 jump to £20.01 any connection I wonder??

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

I also find it impossible to buy £20 worth at my local Tesco... not matter how hard you try, it always end up at being £20.01. So this morning I tried stopping at £19.99 to see if it clicked to £20 bit alas no.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Pumps MUST be spot on and are regularly checked by trading standards weights/measures. A litre must be a litre, not 990cl.

There is no legal minimum AFAIK, but all pumps I have seen demand minumum delivery is 2 litres. So, I MUST buy 2 litres which is 259.8p. So, how exactly do I do that?

Not strictly true as Trading Standards spend 0% of budget on checking W + M on forecourts! This does sometimes change, but they can make more money checking dates on sandwiches rather than pumps.

Minimum delivery is set at 2 lts as this should make the meter spin at least 1 full revolution.

The calibration for each pump is +/- 100ml on 20 Lts. Trading standards like each pump to give a + reading and a - reading, but will still pass a pump giving either +/+ or -/-.

We have two large Tesco garages and over quite a time

I must have used every individual pump and it always happens

when trying to buy £20.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

We have two large Tesco garages and over quite a time

I must have used every individual pump and it always happens

when trying to buy £20.

It's quite hard to hit £20.00 from 19.99 as the 1p has to move 1.3 to 1 :wink:

:madgrin:Doesn't seem to happen elsewhere though:!:

This may seem daft, but how much would I be charged if I decided to buy EXACTLY 1 litre of petrol if the price displayed is 129.9p per litre? My point is why the 0.9p? They used to charge 1/2p years ago but the difference is there actually was a 1/2p coin then. When did it become 0.9p and WHY?????

Yes, a bit of a rant but I am curious to know why they are allowed to display an amount it is impossible to actually pay. I cannot ever pay 0.9p so why charge it? Would I be expected to swallow the loss and pay 130p? Would they let me off the 0.9p and charge me 129p? If so, i could fill my car at 1 litre increments and save 0.9p every single litre!

So, anyone?

Oh. hello by the way. my first post and hopefully not my last.:-D

I forgot to answer tthe original question.

The answer is the same as why items cost £1.99 and not £2. You think you are getting a better deal. It's as simple as that. Although fuel is brought from the supplier to 3 decimal points, so they buy at £129.723 for example.

My local Tesco allows you to select £20 worth of fuel before you start then stops exactly on £20.

Another local garage (texaco) always does the jump thing. I put £10 in my jerry can and by the time I get to the till it's £10.01. I however have never paid the extra penny, they used to ask and I would say no it's £10 and give them that. They dont bother with asking me anymore and just take the tenner. Mabey they know it's their fault ??

Most likely has something to do with the time I put £20 quid of air in my car thanks to their faulty pump and kicked up a stink on the forecourt. They just want rid of me.

All this may be true and it happens to me as well, but the talk of a conspiracy is a bit ott. The control of fuel delivery is very strict and the pumps are tested very frequently and within days if a complaint is made. It's just the speed that they spin over now compared with when you could get a gallon for 6/4d.

Our Esso has a basket where pennies are deposited by those who go under and taken from for those that go over.

you are probably right we don't know lol

And those that do know, don't want the rest of us to know.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

:der::der:Strange of the weekend our 2 Tesco garages upped

the price of unleaded from £128.9 per litre to £1.39

but are giving 5p per litre off when you spend £40 or

more instore????????????

Its still 129.9p at ours... well today at least. I think I would be having a word with trading standards if they do it where I live.

Please Note