Ebay/The Lewis Group

pammiec
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4211 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

On Friday I received an email from the Lewis Group, claiming to be acting on behalf of Ebay and demanding outstanding fees of £72

. I do owe ebay money, which I am now in a position to pay, but it is nowhere near that amount.

I replied, asking how they had arrived at that figure and, as yet, have received no response.

However, I contacted ebay and they told me that it is probably a phishing email and to ignore it.

They also quoted me the true amount that I owe, considerably lower than the amount the Lewis Group told me.

What bothers me is that the email from the Lewis Group appears to be genuine,

the link in there to go to the payment screen appears to be the same as the one on their website and they give their office address,

also the same as the one on the genuine website.

It just bugs me that debt collectors can send emails to people claiming that they owe random amounts of money

and I wondered if there was anyone I can report them to.

Edited by citizenB
spacing

Hi pam

Welcome to CAG

The guys will be happy to advise as soon as they are available.

Please let us know how your problem has been resolved, it could help fellow Caggers.

Thread has been moved to the correct forum.

Yes, you can report them to the Office of Fair Trading.

If their contact borders on harassment, then you can make a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman. For this route, you must have given the company time to resolve the complaint - time allowed for them to do this is 8 weeks. Your letter should make it quite clear that this is an Official Complaint.

In fact, it might be a good idea to contact them and ask for their complaints procedure to be sent to you. By law and a condition of their licence, they must have one in place.

HTH>

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thank you. I've emailed Lewis Group and asked for their complaints procedure, but not holding my breath as I emailed them twice on Friday to ask how they had arrived at the figure of 72 pounds (how I wish my pound sign key worked!) and they haven't responded.

I think you're right about that PGH7447. And they haven't got in touch with me about their complaints procedure either, surprise surprise! I've emailed the Office of Fair Trading, so will just have to wait for them to get back to me now.

I'm just curious to know whether a debt collector can add fees - payable by the debtor - to the amount owed when they take over a debt?

Any help would be much appreciated.

typically NO

if they do

they can only do so inline with whatever level is mentioned in the org T&C

tell us the story please

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Long story, which I've already posted in another thread,

but briefly I had a letter from the Lewis Group acting for ebay and asking for 72 quid in unpaid fees.

I actually owed 59 and have now cleared this direct with ebay.

I informed the Lewis Group of this and asked how they arrived at 72.

They said it was fees that they had added after ebay passed the debt to them.

I've really taken a dislike to the Lewis Group and it would be nice to be able to make an official complaint about something!

two threads merged

keep to one thread per debt/issue.

either contact the OFT or ignore them

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Long story, which I've already posted in another thread,

but briefly I had a letter from the Lewis Group acting for ebay and asking for 72 quid in unpaid fees.

I actually owed 59 and have now cleared this direct with ebay.

I informed the Lewis Group of this and asked how they arrived at 72.

They said it was fees that they had added after ebay passed the debt to them.

I've really taken a dislike to the Lewis Group and it would be nice to be able to make an official complaint about something!

In which case, no, I dont think they can add any fees as there will have been no contract/terms and conditions that would permit them to do this.

I would ask them for a copy of the terms and conditions that allow them to add fees.. see what they have to say.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I had the same email from lewis group yesterday but i different amount. They seem to be doing a splurge at the moment for outstanding ebay accounts, they must have bought in all there overdue accounts and now trying there luck to see if anyone will send them some money.

• 2 months later...

Hi CAG,

I recently received a letter from the lewis group regarding outstanding ebay fees of £72.38. I have done some investigation and I found I owed ebay £56 from an old account that I couldnt remember the username for. I have now paid this, although I had already emailed the below letter to the lewis group, I have yet to send it via post and will do tomorrow.

I assume the lewis group can not pursue me for their charges? if so can you advise the next steps. kind regards. RJWR.

*PLEASE NOTE THIS COMMUNICATION WILL BE OFFICIALLY SENT TO The Lewis Group LTD VIA ROYAL MAIL SPECIAL DELIVERY.*

13/10/2012

REF: ****/******-Q2

RE:- eBay - £72.38

Dear Sir/Madam

You have contacted me regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself.

I would point out that I have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to eBay.

I am are familiar with the Office of Fair Trading Debt Collection Guidance which states that it unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

I would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. In not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

Furthermore ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.

I would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my liability for the debt in question.

I await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to the trading standards department and consider informing the OFT of your actions.

Take notice that I will not discuss this matter on the telephone, and all further communication must be in writing. Any further telephone calls and or home visits will be perceived as harassment, and dealt with accordingly.

I also request a copy of your internal complaints procedure.

I look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

*PLEASE NOTE THIS COMMUNICATION WILL BE OFFICIALLY SENT TO The Lewis Group LTD VIA ROYAL MAIL SPECIAL DELIVERY.*