Loan - Stat Demand, secured now County Court?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4301 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All

I took out an unsecured loan several years ago and failed to keep up payments shortly after taking it out.

I received a Statutory Demand from the loan company.

Under the threat of bankruptcy proceedings and after contact with the company's solicitors,

I agreed to have the debt amount secured against the property.

Today, five years later, I have had contact from the loan company again.

This time a default notice with a threat of County Court action if I do not pay the amount due.

I believe the reason for this contact now is because my mortgage lender recently secured a suspended order for possession on my property

(this is something the loan company would have been aware of, of course, ad they are notified of the proceedings because of their interest in the property).

I am keeping up payments under the suspended order, so there is no danger of the property being repossessed.

Can anyone hazard a guess what the loan company is looking to achieve here?

Are they merely looking to scare me in to contacting them and agreeing some sort of payment plan,

or are they about to pursue a case in County Court to force a sale of the property?

If they are not the main creditor, I don't think any application to force the sale would work. Your mortgage company might also wish to challenge as well. It depends on what charging order they have I believe, as my understanding is that these are at different stages. Some CO's will allow the sale of the house, with just notice sent to the creditor after the sale of the house and other CO's require the permission of the claimant before the house can be sold. IF this is the case, the loan company may just wish to change the status of the CO, rather than try to force the sale of the house.

Write back saying that you don't understand the intention of their letter and ask them to explain why the letter has been issued.

This post may be better in the legal forum.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Yes, I agree.. moving to Legal issues.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Have you been maintaining payments to the loan company?

I am not quite sure why they would have issued a DN if you have been.

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi

I have not been maintaining payments on the loan, never did....

so they issued stat demand few years back, i agreed to let them have a charging order rather face bankruptcy!

I think they were happy with this outcome, ie just wait for me to sell the house one day, then they get their money!

its been a good few years now, and i haven't sold, maybe they want to do something about it now?

Ah, righto.. I imagine they are tired of waiting for you to sell.

They are not really thinking about this, it is likely that any forced sale would not provide them with the resolution they require eg their money back. Property prices are low and your mortgage provider will be the 1st in the queue.

Did they confirm any agreement regarding the securing of the debt on your property, in writing ?

Would you be able to perhaps come to an arrangmeent whereby you start to repay something off the debt each month ?

On securing the debt against your property - was interest frozen or did that continue to be applied ?

BCOBS

Ah, righto.. I imagine they are tired of waiting for you to sell.

They are not really thinking about this, it is likely that any forced sale would not provide them with the resolution they require eg their money back. Property prices are low and your mortgage provider will be the 1st in the queue.

Did they confirm any agreement regarding the securing of the debt on your property, in writing ?

Would you be able to perhaps come to an arrangmeent whereby you start to repay something off the debt each month ?

On securing the debt against your property - was interest frozen or did that continue to be applied ?

Interest is frozen, and has not been added (the number mentioned in the DN just now is exactly the same as it was in the CO five years ago).

No agreement was put in place in wriiting, the solicitors simply wanted the charging order.

There is equity in the home, £200k or so, maybe this is why they are gunning for me?

Would a District Judge order a forced sale if they applied for it? .......I suppose what I am really asking here is does a unsecured loan that became secured carry the same weight in law as a mortgage that was originally secure?

I think if the loan company ever did try to force the sale, I would contact the legal people at the mortgage company, who would probably tell the loan company to stop or they will be jointly defend the application.

My opinion is write back saying that you don't understand their letter and could they explain their position fully. Advise them that the first creditors, the mortgage company continue to receive their payments and that there are no current plans to sell the house.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

I think if the loan company ever did try to force the sale, I would contact the legal people at the mortgage company, who would probably tell the loan company to stop or they will be jointly defend the application.

My opinion is write back saying that you don't understand their letter and could they explain their position fully. Advise them that the first creditors, the mortgage company continue to receive their payments and that there are no current plans to sell the house.

Forgive me for saying this, but that doesn't quite make sense. Surely if the loan company can force a sale then that is in the interest pf the mortgage company too, as they get their money back even sooner on what has clearly been a troublesome mortgage(suspended order etc)...am I missing something here?

It seems clear that the loan company aren't happy with having the security without getting any repayments back in the meantime, and yes they can and (from what the latest letter says) will apply to repossess, with another mortgage provider also having an interestthen it could become a difficult situation as they will both be adding a huge amount of legal fees / charges to swallow up what equity you have. Are you able to make any repayments to the loan company ?

Not possible.

It seems clear that the loan company aren't happy with having the security without getting any repayments back in the meantime, and yes they can and (from what the latest letter says) will apply to repossess, with another mortgage provider also having an interestthen it could become a difficult situation as they will both be adding a huge amount of legal fees / charges to swallow up what equity you have. Are you able to make any repayments to the loan company ?

Hi 42man

The Default Notice I have just received, does not threaten repossession but alludes to seeking "judgement" against me.

I have read the Notice again, and it appears their strategy is to increase the amount owed by claiming the interest accrued on the original CO amount of five years ago to date!

This is what the Default Notice says:

4 : Further action: XXXX will:-

a) require immediate payment on the date shown of the outstanding balance under the Agreement less the rebate of interest charges to which you would be entitled, as set out below.

b) if the whole or any part of such sum ins not received, issue proceedings against you on or after the date shown for recovery of the outstanding balance (which may be reduced by any rebate to which you may be entitled as at the date of payment).

c) you should be aware that if we take you to court and get a judgement against you requiring you to pay us money you owe us under the agreement, you may have to pay us both the amount of the judgement and interest under the agreement on all of the sums owed by you at the sate of judgement until you have paid these off in full. This means that even if you pay off the whole amount of the judgement, you may still have a further sum to pay.

Termination of the Agreement will take effect on the date shown unless the total arrears are paid in full before that date.

Is there anyway of stopping these scumbags pursuing this?

Not possible.

I was thinking that the Mortgage company might not be happy having their asset sold, without their consent, as they are the first creditors.

I am a bit confused here. If the loan company had a CO and there was no agreement to pay any sums in the meantime, how can they now just decide to go back to court again to see further judgement.

I think you need to revisit the paperwork that was supplied when the CO was agreed.

Uncle Bulgaria

Don't forget, there was no original judgement! They simply threatened me with bankruptcy, so I capitulated and agreed to have a legal charge registered on the property, this was five years ago.

I have opened up the legal charge (CH1) and it says:

"To secure the sum of ***** including any further advances or charges therein such sums to be repaid by a schedule of repayments as may be agreed between the parties from time to time"

If I don't agree to repay therefore, then surely they must wait for me to, one day, sell the property?

Uncle Bulgaria

Don't forget, there was no original judgement!

"To secure the sum of ***** including any further advances or charges therein such sums to be repaid by a schedule of repayments as may be agreed between the parties from time to time"

If I don't agree to repay therefore, then surely they must wait for me to, one day, sell the property?

Ah I see. The key bit is " to be repaid by a schedule of repayments as may be agreed between the parties from time to time"

Well the time is 'now' and they want repayments agreed to or they will go to court to gain judgement, to put this on a proper footing. You will then be forced into repayments, based on what was affordable. I don't think they are suggesting forcing the sale of the house.

In this situation, I would think offering repayment at an amount you can afford, would be a smart move. Then if they did go to court, you have evidence of offering payment.

Ah I see. The key bit is " to be repaid by a schedule of repayments as may be agreed between the parties from time to time"

Well the time is 'now' and they want repayments agreed to or they will go to court to gain judgement, to put this on a proper footing. You will then be forced into repayments, based on what was affordable. I don't think they are suggesting forcing the sale of the house.

In this situation, I would think offering repayment at an amount you can afford, would be a smart move. Then if they did go to court, you have evidence of offering payment.

I agree with your view Uncle Bulgaria, is there any way out of this through some process or another?

I agree with your view Uncle Bulgaria, is there any way out of this through some process or another?

Don't think so. Remember that any payments you make, will come off the CO total that was agreed previously. If you go to court now, they will add on interest at 8% per annum and that would be more expensive than making affordable repayments on an agreed basis. They may not accept the affordable repayments that you want to offer. But at least you would have offered and this may come in handy.