style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3476 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

If I was your line manager, I'd be very concerned that you sought to resolve this issue yourself, rather than alert me to it.

I'd see it as a breach of trust, and be wondering what you're going to cover up next.

If you cock up (and we all do), you have a responsability to put your hand up and let it be sorted out according to established procedure.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Everyone,

I work in an environment where I have a very difficult supervisor. Firstly, she has Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and she has a big thing about germs etc. However, that issue has thankfully now been resolved since problems about her OCD surfaced in the past.

The real problem lies in her ability to do her job - she simply can't and it is driving me and my female colleague absolutely nuts - we feel very tense when she's around as we know she can't do her job and makes continual errors and forever asking the same questions, despite numerous prompts otherwise and its coming to the point now where the situation needs to be nipped squarely in the bud. My colleague spoke to me today and said she had a set-to with my supervisor.

We have had meetings constantly with her and there are no signs of improvement and I hate to say it but it looks like there won't ever be, either. She always seems to be in a world of her own and when you even try to explain something to her in simple terms, she looks as if she is puzzled. She's also tried to drop members of her own staff in trouble in the past, even when she's culpable for it.

We feel, my colleague and I, that enough is enough and were thinking of drafting a letter to formal level as we want action taken now and want management to sit up and take note that we're not at all happy since her presence in the office is not doing us, nor her, any good whatsoever.

Any suggestions most welcome.

Cheers

Hi,

Draft a collective letter containing the issues you've raised in your initial post and send it to your HR department.

---Aut viam inveniam aut faciam---

***All advice given should be taken as guidance... Professional advice should always be taken before any course of action is pursued***

- I do not reply directly to any PMs, but you are more than welcome to enclose a link, in a PM, to your post. Thank you -

Make a contribution to this site... Help the CAG keeping on helping you for FREE.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I had a question about Gross Misconduct because its been rather playing on my mind. I have looked at various definitions of Gross Misconduct on the Internet but the reason I ask because is as I have said, its been worrying me.

Basically, I have some files at work and unfortunately, for the most part through no fault of my own, a vast majority have gone missing - I have done my utmost best to find them, including putting traces in official paperwork to locate them - even when I try to help people with files, they don't want to know.

What I want to know is, if I can prove that I have done my best to find these files without success, through emails and paperwork etc., would this be enough of a defence should the issue go any further because I have involved an external source in the investigation to try and find these files.

I understand Gross Misconduct to mean things like theft, drunkenness etc. so I can't imagine things such as missing files would fall under this category. Am I correct?

Thank you for that. But you have posted before about various topics to do with your work and files were one of them. I'm a bit confused about why you're asking about gross misconduct.

How did you get on with the last problem you asked and were advised about please, if I may be so bold?

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hello,

I've had issues with my files for a long time, to be specific, files going missing (sending files out to people and not getting them back, people putting files away without my knowledge, people doing things with files they shouldn't be, people not keeping me in the loop regarding their files etc.). I have done all I can to locate these files and have got an external source involved - I wanted to ensure that the company couldn't turn around and blame me for the issues with the files since as I have explained, things happen with the files I have no power over.

In regards to the situation with my supervisor and her OCD issues, it has basically come to the point now where I feel she can't be trusted - one minute she claims her illness does affect her job and then the next minute she claims it does not affect her job, so which is it? She is incapable of doing the most rudimentary aspects of her job as well. It baffles me as to why she is kept on when its obvious that she is a) deceitful in her mannerisms at work and b) unable to do the work.

What are my rights where an individual is causing issues at work and that what they say in regards to their illness may not be what they say it is and also their incapability to do their job?

Thanks for the help as the situation is becoming unbearable and in all honesty, ridiculous. I am speaking to a TU rep soon on the issue as is my colleague. Also, I spoke to my Line Manager and bascially felt the issue in hand wasn't fully understood or being dismissed.

Regards

Rob

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I hope I'm doing this right. Basically this is a follow on from the issues I am having with my supervisor - I was called into a meeting with my Line Manager whom I sent a letter to in regards to an incident that occurred in my office the other day. She basically passed my chair deliberately trying not to touch it and when questioned, said it was because of 'all the dirt and germs.'

Anyways, I have spoken to my Line Manager who says I should show my supervisor a degree of respect. I have done nothing but try and when I try to make things easier for my colleague by wearing my gloves, the T.U. says not to as it goes against my own human rights. Basically I am a compulsive nail biter and pen chewer which doesn't go down too well with a colleague suffering from OCD as you can imagine. My question is: what are my rights because I was informed by the T.U. that my human rights are being infringed from the fact that I begun to wear gloves to discourage myself from biting my nails etc. and I have done well not to try and chew pens but it feels like my own personality at work in terms of my comfort zone have been wiped out.

Surely I have rights too but I'm going to go into work now totally concerned that my colleague is going to flip out should I do anything that concerns my fingers/pens. For now, I'm going to wear gloves because its the only way logical forward I can see. My supervisor, in honesty, who suffers from the OCD, doesn't give two hoots about myself or my colleague then if she suffers from a mental illness, she has no reason to, apparently, as we're supposed to meet her own needs and forget we have needs.

I'm sorry but it makes me angry because I feel that my personality to some degree at work and my area of comfort has now been compromised and if my T.U. have said it goes against human rights and the fact they've turned around and said SHE needs to wear the gloves because its her problem then where does that leave me because I'm getting information in all sorts of directions and I want to know where I stand for clarity.

Advice MUCH appreciated.

Hiya

Rght off thetop of my head could I ask if the fact that you compulsivley bit/chew things is known to your GP?

If not approach your GP and ask if it is a condition like OCD.

That would put you in the same bracket as her and stop her and others usiing OCD to pound you over the head with.

That's low I know but sometimes its the only way out from under.

Will revisit tomorrow night as only given thread a breif look over.

Hiya

Rght off thetop of my head could I ask if the fact that you compulsivley bit/chew things is known to your GP?

That would put you in the same bracket as her and stop her and others usiing OCD to pound you over the head with.

An intriguing reply indeed. Since my last post, I have spoken to my Line Manager and discussed the situation and forgive me if I repeat anything but my Line Manager said I needed to show my OCD colleague an "element of kindness." I've done nothing but try to meet her needs at the end of the day.

Also, my Line Manager said that as long as its not in her face what I do, then there's little that can come my way in terms of problems in that respect.

I have offered to wear gloves, mainly to stabilize tranquility in the office and also out of fear that I might get picked up on if I do anything like biting nails/chewing pens etc. I'm sorry but if these habits have been with you for as long as they have been with me, the issue won't go to bed overnight.

However it might be worth a shot going to see a GP as they might support this reply and could be useful should anything come of the situation at work. I also did some research on the issue of nail biting and pen chewing etc. and it is a subsidiary of OCD apparently so therefore, for the Line Manager to turn around and show what appeared to be more or less 100% support to my OCD colleague, it is being potentially ignored that my issues may be OCD related in a loose sense.

Also, the TU have been contacted and basically challenged what my Line Manager said and its my belief they are unhappy with my supervisor's situation and there may be more to come in that area.

Still, it makes for a thoroughly unpleasant working environment when the three workers are feeling strained due to the relationships shared.

If anything else comes up, I'll post again but I'd be interested to hear more consensus of opinion on this matter as anything to aid me in my future should I need it would be greatly appreciated.

Hiya

Sounds more like a habit than OCD to me?

I see what you're saying but nevertheless, there's nothing that can happen to me because I've done all I can to try and help her - eg. wearing gloves etc. to dissuade me from biting my nails and I've worked very hard not to chew pens and compensations have been made for my OCD suffering colleague.

Apparently I am not allowed to wear gloves as it goes against my human rights at work and as long as I don't actually do it deliberately to aggravate my OCD colleague, which I don't, there's little she can do and I don't do anything to deliberately antagonise her.

That said, there is a distinct tension in the office which is starting to drain the life out of the people who work in it. I was even recommended as was my other colleague in the office to take stress leave as it may, in the person's opinion, make management wake up and smell the coffee.

One thing's for sure. This isn't over and won't be for some time until something happens and I can see it happening, unfortunately.

Hiya

Quote: "Apparently I am not allowed to wear gloves as it goes against my human rights at work" that is an intersting proposition.

Lets see if I can logically break it down:

a] if you have an accident [say burns?] requiring wearing gloves it is against your human rights?

b] where explicitly is it written in the human rights act that it states this?

c] this non-wearing gloves covers road sweepers, industrial workers, those on building sites does it?

d] feeling cold in the office as heating is kaput, it is against your human rights to wear gloves?

e] The Human rights act covers free expression, if you wish to wear gloves so be it.

f] and more directly how does wearing gloves infringe the rights for free expression of others?

Need I go on?

Please note I am only addressing the Human Rights act here, not using common sense which in anycase shows how farcical this position is.

Laters

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I've had a rather bad day at work today because something occurred which I am not happy about

My super got a letter which said basically a letter had been sent to RAF High Wycombe without the proper postage on it - the problem is, office staff always ensure each item is stamped and that is no exaggeration.

However, the letter apparently got to High Wycombe without the correct postage attached and returned to RAF Odiham TWO months later with the information, saying insufficient postage and also not called for.

The item should have been sent 1st class but obviously it hasn't been but even then I find it hard to believe - the only other option I can believe is that the item in question was accidentally mixed in with military post. Even then, getting to High Wycombe would have taken no more than a week, if a couple of days.

Even with first class there are no guarantees of next day delivery.

If the item being sent was an item of consequence to the recipient or my station, RAF Odiham, surely the item should have been sent Recorded/Special delivery to ensure tracking and any inconvenience was avoided?

I'm just worried about being fired from my job as I am always vigilant when sending post through the mailing system - can they force the blame on someone if it cannot 100% be proven you were at fault or would it fall back onto my office supervisor?

Another question: items that do have value or risk of consequence if lost should be sent recorded - is this correct? Everyone makes errors (if one was made) but I don't want to see anything bad happen. I want to ensure I do everything right to avoid trouble - this kind of occurrence is particularly rare.

Your help is appreciated.

Regards

Robin

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I've had a good day at work today but unfortunately, that good day was marred by something that my colleague said to me before I left work.

Basically, my supervisor is going on a three month therapy course to try and sort herself out since she suffers from O.C.D.

The issue of whether or not she took Special Paid Leave or Special Unpaid Leave was left disputed by the HR department - therefore she is going to speak to her Line Manager.

However on my way out, my colleague, who likes to stir things up, said that if she doesn't get Special Paid Leave, then she can turn around and accuse the company of discrimination, based on the grounds that when I went to University, I got Special Paid Leave.

The reason why I got Special Paid Leave was because at the end of the day, they saw the course I was doing and still am doing, beneficial to the workplace and was at the discretion of Line Management.

I just don't want anything bad to happen.

My point is, surely if a Line Manager agreed a leave programme with me then that is up to them. There can be no repurcussions from that, can there? Much the same as what my Line Manager should decide to do in the case of my supervisor, whether or not she is granted Special Paid Leave or Special Unpaid Leave.

In essence, my situation with the University has nothing to do with my supervisor's current situation so it shouldn't even come into the foray.

What do you suggest because its worrying me.

Thanks

Robin

Hi

I got called into a meeting with my Line Manager and was told in no uncertain terms that I was accused by customers of being aggressive towards them.

I'm not just saying this and believe me, I understand the values of perception, but I have not done anything that constitutes aggressive behaviour towards other members of staff. Through Body Language, I have done nothing that exhibits aggressive behaviour. Nor have I lost my temper or became physically violent.

To me, that's what aggression is and I haven't done any of those things outlined in the principles of how one could potentially be aggressive towards other people...

Please can you advise me on what to do because I've been warned about my conduct and in all honesty, its really upset me because I know I'm not that type of person and now its come down to the fact that I have to get another colleague to warn me if I exhibit unfamiliar behaviour toward other members of staff at the counter.

I feel harrassed and humiliated by this. Am I overreacting?

Thanks

Robin

Hi, they say you were allegedly rude to the customers, not other members of staff.

You need to ask your line-manager for as many details as possible of the allegations to try to remind yourself of any potentially "strange" customer? Is there any CCTV camera you are being exposed to since you apparently work at a counter? That may help your defence.

Hi,

Unfortunately we don't have any CCTV footage in our office because of the nature of our work. I can assure you although you can't be sure for definite that I have never been rude to customers, certainly not aggressive.

To be aggressive, according to websites on the net, would require either physical or behavioural patterns through your body language that exert aggression and I've never acted in such ways toward customers.

I was also told by a friend that my Line Manager needs to give documented accounts of what happened otherwise I can't be accused in such a way and he failed to do that. He gave mock examples of how one could be rude/aggressive and how one may be deemed to be aggressive dependant on circumstance.

My colleague says I was rude once at the counter but being rude and aggressive are two very different things - I know at the end of the day that I was not being deliberately rude or aggressive and would make amends should I have come over as something I never intended to be in the first place.

I feel very damaged by this revelation.