help to pay for a funeral any advice please

sarah6
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4301 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi this is mostly for my mother-in-law, my father-in-law passed away from cancer a few months ago. he had no assets and no money, the insurance policy he had was only 6 months old so basically no good.

when arranging the funeral it was made clear that she had no money and would be applying for a furenal grant from the social fund to cover the costs. well as it is they have paid £1055 off the funeral which is the cost of burial plus £700 towards other costs.

the total bill is £2800 so she is left with £1700 to pay and no money to pay it she has made an appeal to the social fund, but i was looking at her bill and she has been charged just over £2000 for hurse and 1 car.

this to me seems a bit much and from what i can find the cars would come into the £700 for other costs. am i right in thinking that if thats the case then the appeal will make no difference and we are stuck with a bill off £1700 to pay. anyone got any ideas thanks sarah

Edited by citizenB
spacing

I will try and find some help for you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I would ask the funeral director first for a full break down off the bill,

I thought this comes as standard, you will see at a glance how he gets his figures.

He should have given you a full break down anyway and will be able to give you these details no problems.

then you can work out if your award is correct

Sorry to hear about your loss.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/Bereaved/DG_10018660

and you have you have a month to get in your appeal.

the bill i have breaks down like this

hearse and 1 limousine attending funeral £2075.00

cemetery fees £580.00

ministers fees £60.00

organist fees £45.00

to supply of order of service £50.00

total £2810.00

they do not mention the cost off the coffin in this so i can only assum it is hidden in something else or was free lol.

now considering the cars is the biggest part by far. i can see how they justify charging so much for a 20 min ride from the house to the funeral home (just the limo used) and a 5 min ride from funeral home to cemenrty for both hearse and limo and then limo back to the wake venue 10 min drive. so total use of car for 35 min and hearse for 5 min.

Seems very odd that they havent included the cost of the coffin ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I think if you speak to the funeral directors you may find that for some reason the cost of the coffin and preparation of the deceased may have been included in the car cost when it was printed out.

Also if you are struggleing to pay the remainder of the bill have you approached any charities that may be able to help, or if your father in law was a member of the armed forces at all they may be able to offer some assistance.

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

Hi Sarah. Sorry to hear your mother in law is having to go through this.

An appeal can only be successful where there the Social Fund has not applied the law correctly to the facts of the claim. The Funeral Payment is paid in accordance with the Social Fund Funeral and Maternity expenses regulations 2005. The regulations (specifically regulation 9 - click here to link to it) only allows for specific costs to be paid by the social fund plus a maximum contribution of £700 toward other non specific expenses, and it appears from the breakdown of the bill you have provided that the Social Fund have met the costs allowed - however I do have a query about the cemetery fees.

You say the Social Fund have paid £1055 but the cemetery fees are stated as £580 on the bill breakdown you provided. The cemetery fees plus £700 is £1280. Can you please tell me what area your father in law was buried in? You can pm it to me if you feel more comfortable to share the information this way. The reason I am asking is because I am trying to establish if there are more costs that should have been awarded by the Social Fund for the burial but the Social Fund use local pricing structures for burial costs so that is why I need to know where he was buried, please. I'll look into that for you once I have the area from you. I might need to come back with further questions later.

The cost of a coffin is not included in specified expenses.

There is scope to allow the reasonable cost of one return journey for her having to travel to attend the funeral however they cannot pay this cost as a specific expense if it is a limousine or similar which is travelling as part of the funeral cortege - they may include it under the £700 limit though.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

thanks for you help i have contacted the funeral director and asked them to break down the cost of the cars for us as we feel that they were a bit excessive, so we will wait for that.

the reason for the short fall is that the insurance is due to pay £210 as it was only 6 month old they are paying just what was paid in to it and not the full amount which would have been nearly £4000. the sad thing is that my father-in-law must have taken out the insurance as he must have know he didn't have long to cover the funeral costs. he told me the insurance would cover the funeral but obviously he didn't have as long left as he thought.

Yes, they do deduct insurance that is available or due to the claimant/responsible person. That still leave £15 unaccounted for.

When she went to arrange the funeral, did they give her a quote or an estimate of what the expenses would be? Again, there is reason why I ask. With an estimate, this is just a guess and the cost can go either up or down. But if she was given a quote, this is how much it will be and they cannot charge more than what is in a quote.

Has your mother looked into whether she could apply for the bereavement payment? This is a lump sum payment of £2000, and may go some way toward the remaining costs. More information here

Also, as another person mentioned there are some charities that can help with funeral costs. For example, if he was a war veteran, the vets agency offers assistance and some charities offer assistance if he died from a specific illness. It's worth looking into these to see if there is any other assistance available.

Losing a loved one is enough to have to cope with in itself, without having to deal with all of this on top of it. I hope she manages to get some sort of help. Please do not hesitate to post further questions if you think we may be able to help.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)