• Tweets

• The digital bank has introduced three new plans - Extra, Perks and Max - replacing its existing Plus and Premium plans for new customers.View the full article
    • Agree it is not a modification that needs to be disclosed to Insurers as changing the seats has not changed the risk.  
    • Frpm David Frost and Robert Jenrick: 'Conservatives must show we respect the votes in 2016 and 2019 and not give the Opposition the chance to undo the benefits of leaving the EU'   Sweep away the Brexit gloom – or Labour will unravel a huge gain ARCHIVE.PH archived 22 Apr 2024 05:47:50 UTC  
    • Please please help we were miss sold full fibre by EE July 22  Install couldn’t go ahead no equipment sent and no. Survey it was hell  foind out no full fibre in road so we had to go back to cooper no choice we involved. Ceo and they put in a man from customer resolution s  he was vile he told me I had to go to engineers  something very odd about the ex resolution s in bt basically they took my drive up said they Would put ducting in ready for full fibre we have got £ 40 for a hours upon hours phones stress and more told to go to ombudsman  then bill was £35 we called twice told it was that price as they had treated us appalling two weeks later all sky package gets pulled we call again our bill goes to 165 the next two weeks was hell trying to get yo bottom why it’s off our package it was all on in the end I spent a day on the phone  341 mins was the call anyway I got to the bottom it was this resolution man coveting up the other issue another deadlock  to cover it all up  they hide data  ee did so couldn’t get the miss sell in writing I have now only from sept  Basically now we tried getting full fibre and they have found my drive had to be taken up again which has sunk .  The engineer has placed the wrong ducting again under my drive and need s to be taken to again apparently and the pipe sticks up middle of the drive near gate not behind look so odd it’s a big as a drain pipe open to water and it’s below touching the electrical cables to hot tub . I was sent a letter from the ex resolution to say I had stopped the work  I haven’t  it’s so sadistic she covering up for her mate in that team as the orginal install he didn’t check it had been done correctly  I took to Twitter and posted on open reach they ignored me then after 3 calls of two weeks they sent a engineer bt ignored me ceo emails blocked tag on Twitter unanswered then we get someone from twitter send a engineer he written report to say it’s dangerous since we have  had a  letter to say our problem can not be resolved  then a email to say sorry we are leaving and we can’t get into our account Bt will not talk to us ofcom tells us nothing they can do Citzens advice said go to the police  we can’t go back to virgin due so mass issue with them only option is sky  but point is they make out we have canceled we haven’t we have this mess on our drive dangeous work we are in hell  it’s like she covering up for this collegue it’s all very odd I am disabled and they like played mentaly with me open reach say bt resolved the issue no they have not  I recon they have terminated us making our we have  to hide it from mgt  Help it’s hell I don’t sleep we have 29 may we have tried  calling they just ignore me  at first they are so lovely as they say I am then they go to nnamager and say we can’t say anything to you end call  Scared police are rubbish I need help even typing is so painfull  Thankyou  anyone hello be so grateful     
    • There's a thread somewhere about someone sending the baillifs against Wizzair that is quite hilarious. I would love to see someone do the same to Ryanair. Question is, should you be the one to take that role. You are entitled to the £220, if your flight was from the UK. If it was TO the UK I suppose it is more of a grey area... though the airlines I know have been using £220 as standard. Not that surprising for Ryanair, the worst cheapskates in the universe, to go for the lower amount, and if you forward this to the CEO he will probably have a jolly good laugh and give his accountants a verbal bonus. After all he's the one who said and I paraphrase "F*** our customers, they'll fly with us again anyway". While we would all love to see Ryanair get wooped in court again, I have to join my fellow posters in thinking it's not worth the hassle for (hypothetically) £7 and not sure it will expedite the payment either. It's already an achievement that you got them to accept to pay.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

URGENT help on an Insurance Issue! Owner/PolicyHolder

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4289 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys

I was involved in an accident a couple of months back, where a lady driver reversed into my parked car. We exchanged details etc, but a few weeks later I got a letter from my Insurance company suggesting that the 3rd party driver is claiming the accident was my fault and that she is also pursuing a PI claim (Typical opportunist)!

The investigations are ongoing and I have defended my case, providing my insurance company with pictures of her vehicle etc. and so far it is my word against hers...

However, yesterday I received a letter from my insurance company saying that my insurance is in doubt and could be voided, due to them recently finding , via DVLA, out that my car's registered keeper and the main insurance policy holder are two different people. i.e. Registered keeper lives in Oxford, and Main Insurance policyholder (Me) lives in London. They are correct. The registered keeper is my Cousin brother in Oxford.

BUT, does having registered keeper and policyholder as 2 different people void my insurance??? That is my Question! and why did they search now??

My suspicion is that they are trying to worm their way out of 'paying out' on the claim on the above recent accident!!!! and this would be a real concern, as not only will they void my insurance and I will not get my insurance money back, but also in the event that the ongoing accident claim settles n Her favour (e.g. if she produces fake witnesses etc) then does this mean that I wasn't insured at time of accident and therefore could become a police/court matter???

Please Help, I am really worried! Advice required!!!!!

John

Sounds odd is RK also on the policy, the vehicle

reg shows on the insurance certificate which states

who can drive the car?

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

No - The RK is not on the insurance policy. There is a genuine reason as to why the RK and PH (policyholder) are two different parties, and it's definitely NOT to defraud the Insurance company (If this was the case then the I would've been insured at the Oxford address).

Sounds odd is RK also on the policy, the vehicle

reg shows on the insurance certificate which states

who can drive the car?

I think you must get a full explanation from

the insurer on this, I have certainly never

heard of this in 40+ years of driving.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

I think you must get a full explanation from

the insurer on this, I have certainly never

heard of this in 40+ years of driving.

Never heard of which part?

I also forgot to state, that in the letter that they have sent me.... they are asking me to send them all my details i.e. driving licence, log book, and also asking me to verify the reasons behind why use my vehicle, access to other vehicles etc. So basically, they are asking me to verify the details which I would've provided them on inception of the policyholder. It almost seems like they are trying to catch me out.....

A query like this when the insurance cerificate shows the

reg, model etc of the car and a named driver.

I agree there seems to be an ulterior motive to this,

even on a third party only cover you are usually entitled

to drive other vehicles I think.

I want to be completely open with my Insurance company, however because I am starting to believe that they are seeking a 'way out' from Insuring me due to the recent accident, it will only provide them ammunition to cancel my insurance policy. Although this may not be the case, and they have just randomly done a search on the vehicle against the ever more accessible DVLA systems, and they have found this discrepancy....

I don't know what their motive is here? (If any)

Can I not argue that it is NOT illegal to have differing registered keeper to main policy holder?? or is it dependent on the insurance company themselves?

Difficult question have you got a copy of the policy doc

and Ts & Cs

Yes I do, Would it say in there??

Possibly look at exclusions and limiations of cover.

When you complete a proposal for motor insurance you are asked a number of questions relating to the proposer and any drivers to be insured.

I seem to recollect questions like, are you the owner. Is the vehicle registered in your name.

You could check what the questions are by completing a draft proposal on line.

PUTTING IT IN WRITING & KEEPING COPIES IS A MUST FOR SUCCESS

I have just spoken to my local police force about this sort of situation with regard to insurance. The OP will need to check his own motor policy to confirm he is insured to drive third party vehicles. If the other driver collided with a stationary vehicle, liability falls on that driver and their insurer. It also sounds to me as if the other driver and the OP's insurer is trying to pull a fast one.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

I recently received a letter from my insurance company saying my Insurance is becoming void due to the Insurance policy holder and the registered keeper of the vehicle being two different people at two different addresses.

The insurance co. ran a DVLA search and found that the Registered vehicle keeper(my cousin brother) lives in Guildford, and the Insurance policy holder (Me) is in London. This information, however, is correct and there is/was a legitimate reason for having two separate addresses, and it wasn't to defraud the insurance company.

However, The major concern I am having is that there is an ongoing claim with the insurance company - A few months back a a lady reversed into my car at parking speed while I was standstill, although NOT my fault the driver then had the audacity to claim against me saying I hit her from the rear and as a result gave her whiplash injuries (utter bulls***). Anyway, because it's My word against Hers, there is a possibilitythat she maybe successful (i.e. she has also faked a witness)...... IF my insurance is voided and she is successful in her claim, then this technically would mean that I was uninsured at the time of the incident, So therefore, does this then mean the liability is on my head personally??? I.e. Do I have to pay up??

Sleepless nights galore.

Please help. Thanks!

John

"recently finding , via DVLA, out that my car's registered keeper and the main insurance policy holder are two different people. i.e. Registered keeper lives in Oxford, and Main Insurance policyholder (Me) lives in London. They are correct. The registered keeper is my Cousin brother in Oxford." ( post 14/7/12 @ 12.52)

"Ran a DVLA search and found that the Registered vehicle keeper(my cousin brother) lives in Guildford, and the Insurance policy holder (Me) is in London, " ( post 24/7/12 @23.23 )

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am confused. The cousin/brother lives in both Oxford and Guildford, which is shown on the V5 Reg document with DVLA. They are the registered keeper of the vehicle and therefore the main user of the vehicle, so they should be the main driver shown on any Insurance. The Insurance policy is in a different name, with the policyholder living in London.

The Insurers therefore appear to be correct in my opinion. The evidence points at the Policyholder providing false information on their Insurance proposal and if this is so, they are entitled to void the policy. This will mean that if the Insurers pay anything in regard to the accident, they will come after the Policyholder to claim the money back from them. This may include court action. Under the Road traffic Acts, the Insurers of the vehicle will have to deal with the third party claim and if the policy is to be made void, they will come after the Policyholder to recover any sums paid out. If the Insurers refuse the third parties claim, then they may decide to issue a court claim against the OP.

John, if you have an explanation about the confused ownership/main driver and address where car normally kept, I would suggest that you explain this to the Insurers claims manager in a letter by recorded delivery. Advise them that you and your brother/cousin are quite willing to be interviewed by them in regard to this matter, as you have nothing to hide. Also advise them that if they proceed to void the policy, they must issue a final response, noting the matter as a complaint, so the matter may go straight to the FOS, without delay.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I'm with UB67, this is not looking good for the OP, this is an insurable interest issue. The V5 is the registered keeper, not the owner, if the owner is different i.e. you have paid for it, been legally gifted it and can prove it, provide it.

Thank you all for your recent responses.If I am understanding this correctly, I (the policy holder) require for the policy to be in the same name as the registered keeper in order to be 'legally' insured? Bit ludricrous!If I was looking at this case as an outsider, I wouldnt automatically assume that there is an attempt here to defraud the insurance company, as if this was the case then the insurance policy address would be that of Oxford, as clearly it would be cheaper than Londons!? It just so happens that the DVLA records werent switched over to my name when I bought the vehicle from my cousin bro in Oxford, nothing deliberate or sinister - just bad memory! So the car remained in his name...and I completely forgot about it at the time of taking out the policy. Besides I was under the impression that registered keeper/policy holder didnt need to match..All sounds very scary now, because the 'claim' is most likely going to settle 50/50 (as opposed to me winning it outright)... as both parties are denying liability. What would happen in this scenario??

Firstly, what attempts have the OP's insurers made to investigate the claims being made by the other side, who, incidentally, collided with a stationary vehicle and is, therefore, liable. My suspicion is that the other driver is either not insured or this is a Crash for Cash on the part of the other side.

Secondly, a person can drive a vehicle as a named driver with another person as the registered owner/keeper.

Thirdly, it is a legal requirement to notify DVLA within 28 days of transfer of ownership of a motor vehicle.

Fourth, unless liability in this matter can be established against wholly or significantly against one of the parties involved, it will, in all probability, be settled on a "Knock for Knock" basis, i.e. equal liability on both sides.

Fifth, the OP needs to speak to a legal professional at their local Law Centre. Motor insurers are notorious for wriggling out of claims or cancelling policies without having what could be described as "good, valid and lawful reason". There is, however, legislation coming into force in 2013 which will clamp down this.

If the car has had a change of keeper, you both had a legal obligation to inform DVLA. They can impose a fine of £1000, where this is not done. Though usually it is only when the Police are involved that DVLA get to know about this.

Insurers act on the basis that people follow the law. You would have been asked about whether you were the legal owner and keeper of the car at the time you bought the policy. This would be the details on the V5 reg doc. If the details are wrong on the policy proposal, it is not the fault of the Insurers. If any cash changed hands, can you both evidence the transaction from bank records ? If so, send this information to the Insurers, with an explanation about you buying the car, but forgetting about DVLA requirement. If your cousin, just lent you the car, then you should have told the Insurers you were not the owner. They may not have insured you, unless you were the owner. Yes owner and keeper can be different.

For a 50/50 claim outcome, your Insurers will pay 50% of the claim and after the policy is voided they will come after you for the relevant amount. Therefore you and your cousin are going to have to provide information or some form of testimony confirming the change of keeper. Having a policy made void will prove to be VERY expensive. Not just the cost of the claim, but future Insurance costs.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If the car has had a change of keeper, you both had a legal obligation to inform DVLA. They can impose a fine of £1000, where this is not done. Though usually it is only when the Police are involved that DVLA get to know about this.

Insurers act on the basis that people follow the law. You would have been asked about whether you were the legal owner and keeper of the car at the time you bought the policy. This would be the details on the V5 reg doc. If the details are wrong on the policy proposal, it is not the fault of the Insurers. If any cash changed hands, can you both evidence the transaction from bank records ? If so, send this information to the Insurers, with an explanation about you buying the car, but forgetting about DVLA requirement. If your cousin, just lent you the car, then you should have told the Insurers you were not the owner. They may not have insured you, unless you were the owner. Yes owner and keeper can be different.

For a 50/50 claim outcome, your Insurers will pay 50% of the claim and after the policy is voided they will come after you for the relevant amount. Therefore you and your cousin are going to have to provide information or some form of testimony confirming the change of keeper. Having a policy made void will prove to be VERY expensive. Not just the cost of the claim, but future Insurance costs.

This is absolutely ludicrous! I can barely afford to make ends meet, and from suggestions being made, I may potentially also have a legal bill at the end!?It is highly likely that the claim will be settled 50/50, even though I have sent the insurers pictures of her cars rear bumper post ‘accident’, which proves there was no damage to her car and thus no grounds to claim whiplash injury on. And also provided an eye witness statement who saw the ‘incident’, where she clearly reversed into MY car which was stationary.Having read the above, I have no doubt in my mind that the my so-called insurance company will try to worm their way out of paying by voiding my insurance, leaving me to face the music!I need an immediate resolution to this, Surely they cannot just leave me in a lurch like this by swiftly making up an excuse and cancelling my policy, even though it may have some strength.Also, given the evidence I have supplied to the insurers, should this not be suffice for the claim to be settled in my favour??Really appreciate the help.

This is absolutely ludicrous! I can barely afford to make ends meet, and from suggestions being made, I may potentially also have a legal bill at the end!?It is highly likely that the claim will be settled 50/50, even though I have sent the insurers pictures of her cars rear bumper post ‘accident’, which proves there was no damage to her car and thus no grounds to claim whiplash injury on. And also provided an eye witness statement who saw the ‘incident’, where she clearly reversed into MY car which was stationary.Having read the above, I have no doubt in my mind that the my so-called insurance company will try to worm their way out of paying by voiding my insurance, leaving me to face the music!I need an immediate resolution to this, Surely they cannot just leave me in a lurch like this by swiftly making up an excuse and cancelling my policy, even though it may have some strength.Also, given the evidence I have supplied to the insurers, should this not be suffice for the claim to be settled in my favour??Really appreciate the help.

You would be well-advised to seek professional legal advice from your local Law Centre about this. If your insurers are ignoring photographic and independent eye-witness evidence, they need kicking into touch. It may require intervention by the FOS.

You would be well-advised to seek professional legal advice from your local Law Centre about this. If your insurers are ignoring photographic and independent eye-witness evidence, they need kicking into touch. It may require intervention by the FOS.

Agree with this in regard to the accident and how the Insurers should be dealing with the third party claim.

In regard to any complaint about voidance of the policy, Insurers will point out that their underwriting guidelines do not allow for them to Insure any vehicle which is not registered in the policyholders name with DVLA. John would have told his Insurers that he was the registered owner/keeper and this will be on the document sent to him. Insurers send you a copy of the information on which the policy has been issued.

So yes fight the way the Insurers are handling the claim and go legal if you have to. But in regard to the voidance, this may be difficult.

If the Insurers are considering paying any of the third party claim, in the full knowledge that they will be seeking reimbursement from you, then you need legal advice now.

Agree with this in regard to the accident and how the Insurers should be dealing with the third party claim.

In regard to any complaint about voidance of the policy, Insurers will point out that their underwriting guidelines do not allow for them to Insure any vehicle which is not registered in the policyholders name with DVLA. John would have told his Insurers that he was the registered owner/keeper and this will be on the document sent to him. Insurers send you a copy of the information on which the policy has been issued.

So yes fight the way the Insurers are handling the claim and go legal if you have to. But in regard to the voidance, this may be difficult.

If the Insurers are considering paying any of the third party claim, in the full knowledge that they will be seeking reimbursement from you, then you need legal advice now.

I had a similar case, some years ago now, where my insurers went ahead and settled a third-party claim, despite knowing there was strong evidence the other side was liable. They tried to make me pay for their incompetence, but backed away when I threatened to ask my former colleagues to investigate the matter. The chief executive of the insurer wasn't exactly pleased when he found out just how much his claims staff had cost the company. Not surprisingly, there were sackings.

As to whether the insurer, in the OP's case, can legitimately void the policy, this is why I am urging the OP to seek professional legal advice from his local Law Centre. Insurers are known to use any excuse that they think sounds plausible to evade paying out or voiding policies. This is why there is a change in the law coming into force in 2013 that will curb a lot of the unfair and questionable practices insurers have engaged in up to now.

This page from the FOS may assist.

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombudsman-news/46/46_non_disclosure_insurance.htm

My view is that the Insurers may be justified in voiding the policy, IF they would not have insured the car, had they known it was not owned or legally kept by the policyholder. From what I have seen, if Insurers confirm this is the case to the FOS by providing their underwriting guidelines, then they will reject the complaint.

I normally take issue with Insurers voiding a policy, but in this instance, it is an option. Perhaps the OP needs to make a Data Protection Subject Access request to the Insurers, for all the information they hold including recordings of phone calls, to check how the policy was sold. If the Insurers made a mistake, then this will help the OP's cause.