"Bought secondhand mobile. Now blacklisted by Vodafone"

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3369 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Given that the phone is "free" and therefore the property of the contract holder, if the phone has been blacklisted by vodaphone for reasons of non-payment, that might be shown to be malicious and maybe make vodaphone liable for lots of damages. Meanwhile, the phone is now yours and unless vodaphone can show that they have good reason for the phone to be blacklisted, e.g. it's stolen, then what are they doing this for?

I would email them, give a date a week or so in the future for them to fix it, otherwise you will be forced to unlock to use on a different network or purchase a replacement at their expense. You could always phone CS for the unlocking. When they ask for the money, explain that if they take it, that you will be issuing the claim immediately.

I think that you have been extraordinarily patient. I think that must be because you feel some reticence in taking them to court because of their size ...

I'm sure that the account holder would be in that position

But since the handset is not contracted to you, Vodafone cannot just give out the details of why it was barred as it would entail giving you details regarding the account holders vodafone account which would be a breech of the data protection act. It's extremely hard work going through the network in these cases. I'd recommend giving the independent seller a hard time. It sounds like they have made an insurance claim and sold their old phone on to make some money.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

But since the handset is not contracted to you, Vodafone cannot just give out the details of why it was barred as it would entail giving you details regarding the account holders vodafone account which would be a breech of the data protection act. It's extremely hard work going through the network in these cases. I'd recommend giving the independent seller a hard time. It sounds like they have made an insurance claim and sold their old phone on to make some money.

But according to Webmend and Vodafone the handset has never been reported lost, stolen or subject to an insurance claim.

I will not make any deals with you. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. Number 6

Just to add, mobile phones are not "contracted" or anything to do with a contract, they are a "gift" as an inducement to taking on a contract for talk-time / data / texts. If this has been blocked by vodafone, it is only vodafone's data as to why, not the original owner or account holders.

I think Lee is on vacation?

Heidi Vodafone Rep is looking after CAG at the moment I believe... drop her a quick message?

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

The status of a blocked mobile phone is an attribute of the phone and not personal data relating to the previous owner. Vodaphone should have no trouble telling you what the status is.

Just to reiterate, it was the police that originally told us that it was Vodafone who blocked the handset. Neither the police nor checkmend have any record of the phone being reported lost or stolen. Vodafone eventually confirmed to me that they blacklisted it and that they had no record of it being reported lost or stolen. When I asked then why they blacklisted it they couldn't, or wouldn't say.

Lee confirmed to me that it had been unblocked but Samsung now say it is still blacklisted.

When I bought the handset it was working fine, and for some weeks afterwards.

I'm just incredibly ****ed off about the whole situation.

I will not make any deals with you. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. Number 6

Guest Heidi Vodafone Rep

Hi Number6,

Sorry for jumping in a bit late. I have just responded to your PM.

Look forward to hearing from you so I can assist further.

Thanks,

Heidi

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK

Hi Number6,

Sorry for jumping in a bit late. I have just responded to your PM.

Look forward to hearing from you so I can assist further.

Thanks,

Heidi

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK

Heidi.

There's nothing in my inbox from you.

I am in the same situation as original poster- but with Three, 15 months after purchase of iphone. No idea what the answer is but am trying my best to get to the bottom of it. If I get any joy I will post details here. People need to be warned!

The situation is ridiculous and totally wrong. Companies like vodafone really think they can simply trample roughshod over ordinary folk and then give ****e customer service.

I bought this phone fair and square for £200. It was working fine and it hasn't been reported lost or stolen. Vodafone assured me (eventually) that the bar had been lifted; phone still wasn't working so sent it to Samsung for repair. Samsung say it's still blacklisted and are charging me £100 before I can even get it back. Vodafone have no right to do things like this, neither does any other provider. With my other out of pocket costs I could have bought a brand new handset!

As things stand I want my phone back and £150 from Vodafone to cover my out of pocket costs that have been caused by their "couldn't care less" attitude. If they don't offer it freely I'll sue them for it.

I am coming across more and more people affected by this unacceptable behavior and it's time Vodafone was made to answer for it in public.

BBC Watchdog and a complaint to Ofcom for starters methinks.

It looks like there is no way to safely purchase a second hand phone unless the network gives a written guarantee it will not subsequently be blacklisted and that the phone is now registered to the purchaser. I suspect they will only do this if the purchaser takes over the contract/signs up to a new one. They are effectively killing the second hand market.

I have been looking on another website and there was apparently someone in 2010 whose phone was blocked after 4 years (surely not?). The system is very flawed. The only hope is if a phone has been blocked 'by mistake'. ie actually blocked by mistake or subsequently treated as such by the network who requested the block. Quite how one persuades them of their mistake is anyone's guess. The blog is at paulclarke.com and he says he managed to get Vodafone to lift the block by sheer persistance.

One option which I am pursuing is to raise a compliant with Checkmend- they were the first people to understand my situation and have put in some intelligent effort to help find out what has gone wrong. They need confirmation from the network that the block is in place correctly so that they can follow it up. No idea if this will offer a solution for me but at least someone is finally trying to help.

Edited by znn

One option which I am pursuing is to raise a compliant with Checkmend- they were the first people to understand my situation and have put in some intelligent effort to help find out what has gone wrong. They need confirmation from the network that the block is in place correctly so that they can follow it up. No idea if this will offer a solution for me but at least someone is finally trying to help.

How did you get Checkmend to get involved? I'd like to follow this up as well.

I went on the website and raised a ticket on the back of the no can do email I had from Three. Got a standard unhelpful response and then replied with a moan about the system not working in any way to protect the consumer. I got lucky and the matter was passed up the line a bit. My situation is a bit unusual because of the amount of time I had unproblematic use of the phone. Also I purchased through a retail outlet and it makes a difference to my refund claim if i can clarify whether ownership of the phone passed to me or not.

Edited by znn

Hi Number6,

Please be assured that your case remains in hand and I'll endeavour to get back in touch with you during the course of today?

Kind regards,

Lee

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK

Thanks Lee.

But the situation is now way beyond a joke. I am £150 out of pocket and have a handset that hasn't been usable for three months on an airtime contract that I'm paying £40 a month for.

I want the handset back in working order now, as it was when I bought it plus recompense for my out of pocket costs.

And the saga continues. Vodafone say one thing, Samsung say the opposite, and I'm piggy in the middle as usual!!

And the saga continues. Vodafone say one thing, Samsung say the opposite, and I'm piggy in the middle as usual!!

Try Checkmend- it might be a bit slow but they do seem to know who is who at least. If you have an email or other written confirmation from Vodafone then attach it to your 'ticket' as it is my impression it is checkmend who actually physically apply the block. At least the network acknowledges there should be no bar-you are doing better than me!

Hi Number6,

I'm disappointed that this matter remains unresolved.

However, I will call you during the course of the day to discuss things further.

Thanks,

Lee

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK

Yesterday I raised a helpdesk ticket with CheckMend.

Let's see what, if anything they can do.

If I hear nothing by Monday I'll be raising a complaint with Offcom.

Ofcom don't deal with individual consumer complaints. You can escalate your complaint to http://www.ombudsman-services.org/communications.html (my view is they are a toothless qango) or your local county court.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Yesterday I raised a helpdesk ticket with CheckMend.

Let's see what, if anything they can do.

If I hear nothing by Monday I'll be raising a complaint with Offcom.

Thanks for the update Number6.

I'll await the outcome to Checkmend's investigation.

Kind regards,

Lee

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK

Thanks for the update Number6.

I'll await the outcome to Checkmend's investigation.

Kind regards,

Lee

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK

You haven't spoken to T-Mobile or Samsung then, as I asked...?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3369 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks