• Tweets

• @dx100uk Well my pro-rata offer is minus at the moment lol so I will look to modify it and offer the £1 token payment. Is that the right move? At the end of the day both they and I know that you can't get blood out of a stone and I am a stone currently   Thanks again sir
    • Hi, yes this is the same sort of response I keep getting about this. Yes so it asked for the registration number of the car, and this was inputted correctly. It’s then “found” the brand and type of car “Kia carens 1.6” etc and then came up with the “Recommended” list we then selected the tyres from. I have checked it since we bought them and the same tyre still comes up. In response to the lady above where we “assumed” we did assume the tyres would be correct in the list so didn’t see any need to ring to confirm if you see what I mean. We did try ringing the company but they were unwilling to provide information of supervisor. It seems like the company isn’t going to do anything about this.. 😕
    • They are all actually your interpretations, and nothing more than incorrect assumptions and extreme misrepresentations (at best) of mine (and thats being kind)  
    • pop up on the MCOL website detailed on the claimform. [if mcol is not working return after the w/end or the next day if week time] .  register as an individual  note the long gateway number given  then log in .  select respond to a claim and select the start AOS box. .  then using the details required from the claimform .  defend all  leave jurisdiction unticked  you DO NOT file a defence at this time  click thru to the end  confirm and exit MCOL. . .  get a CCA Request running to the claimant https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/332502-cca-request-consumer-credit-act-1974-updated-january-2015/  leave the £1PO blank and uncrossed . .  get a CPR 31:14 request running to the solicitors [if one is not listed send to the claimant] . . https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/332546-legal-cpr-3114-request-request-for-information-when-a-claim-has-been-issued/ . . type your name ONLY no need to sign anything . you DO NOT await the return of paperwork. you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 from the date on the claimform [1 in the count]  
    • Hello   Thank you for your response, I think I have done this right. My responses are in bold    Name of the Claimant ?  Merligen Investments LTD    Date of issue –   12/11/2019        Particulars of Claim     What is the claim for –  1. The defendant owes the claimant £209.79 under the a regulated agreement with Studio Retails T/A Ace dated 16/10/2015 and which was assigned to the claimant on 19/07/2017 (debt)   2. Despite formal demand for payment of the debt the defendant has failed to pay   and the claimant claims £209.79 and further claims interest thereon pursuant to section 69 of the county courtact 1984 Limited to one year to the date hereof at the rate ot 8.00% per annum amounting to £16.78    What is the total value of the claim? £301.57     Have you received prior notice of a claim being issued pursuant to paragraph 3 of the PAPDC ( Pre Action Protocol) ? No    Have you changed your address since the time at which the debt referred to in the claim was allegedly incurred? No    Did you inform the claimant of your change of address? no    Is the claim for - a Bank Account (Overdraft) or credit card or loan or catalogue or mobile phone account? cat debt    When did you enter into the original agreement before or after April 2007 ? no   Do you recall how you entered into the agreement...On line /In branch/By post ? Online     Is the debt showing on your credit reference files (Experian/ Equifax /Etc...) ? No    Has the claim been issued by the original creditor or was the account assigned and it is the Debt purchaser who has issued the claim.  Debt purchaser    Were you aware the account had been assigned – did you receive a Notice of Assignment? No not received any correspondence apart from a couple of recent Text messages and in all honesty I thought it was a [problem]    Did you receive a Default Notice from the original creditor? No     Have you been receiving statutory notices headed “Notice of Sums in Arrears”  or " Notice of Arrears "– at least once a year ? No Nothing     Why did you cease payments?  About 3 years ago     What was the date of your last payment? Can’t remember     Was there a dispute with the original creditor that remains unresolved? No dispute     Did you communicate any financial problems to the original creditor and make any attempt to enter into a debt management plan?  no          
  • Our picks

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1976 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Evening,

Is it true that letting agencies cannot do a thorough check like a bank and only see CCJ's and other similar marks on your report? Or Do they only look for those?

I read somewhere they cannot access the defaults on an account.

Looking to rent but have a few defaults. Hopefully I'll find somewhere. :)

They will I think be able to check on CCJs, repossesions.and coluld apply

to banks for references.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

They will I think be able to check on CCJs, repossesions.and coluld apply

to banks for references.

Thank you. I've heard they charge for the checks as well, so wanted to be sure,:-)

Where are you in the UK? - Its likely the charges in Scotland are unlawful as they constitute a premium. However premiums are permitted in England/Wales.

Where are you in the UK? - Its likely the charges in Scotland are unlawful as they constitute a premium. However premiums are permitted in England/Wales.

Yes some agencies charge very high rates for credit checks and obtainining references, and in my experience don't actually carry them out.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Some of them round my way charge up to £175 per person to do them and I no they cost nowhere near that sort of money to do one.

We had an agency near us that charged £300.00 pp for checks and references,

demanded that all payments had to be in cash, asked for a cash deposit to secure

a tenancy before any of the above was completed, failed to pay rents to LLs and

folded after a couple of years having taken the deposits of dozens of people with

them.

It amounted to much the same thing with tenants visiting the CABs i was in (both Scotland and England) having deposits kept. In Glasgow near the end of June you could expect to see a student at least once a day per advisor who lost a deposit without reason and was then ignored.

The new deposit holding schemes are an excellent idea - but England should apply similar laws to Scotland regarding premiums.

Thanks for the comments, interesting. It does sound like a rip off, a check costs what, £5 max? And they don't even do the thorough check I don't think.

I'm now thinking about renting privately without the agents as I do have a couple of defaults so would want to be 100% sure if I was to ever lay down £50 on a check. They have said they only look for CCJ/similar but not sure I can risk it..

Where do you find listings of flats that aren't through agents? Are there any on Rightmove?

A few.

Martins newsagents nationwide have cards in the window.

Local free and evening newspapers.

Beware of gumtree and such places, although there are numerous real houses to rent, it is a hunting ground for "not nice" people.

I am not a solicitor :!::!:

Most of my knowledge came from this site :-D:-D

If I have been helpful in any way at all .............. Please click my star..... :-(:-(

Have a look in the papers, Gumtree, Friday free ad and other free ad space.

Beware of anyone who wants money upfront before you view. If you put a wanted ad on Gumtree, which I did, I guarantee you will get a few Nigrians try and con you. They pick a house at random in the aera your looking for and take some pics from Google streetview and random interior pictures then ask for a deposit before a viewing. Dont fall for it, Be very very careful.

You can normally see them coming as they do not have a grasp on basic English.

Ash.

If you think I have helped you, please add to my reputation by clicking the star button to the left.

Thankyou.

Thanks for the comments, interesting. It does sound like a rip off, a check costs what, £5 max? And they don't even do the thorough check I don't think.

I'm now thinking about renting privately without the agents as I do have a couple of defaults so would want to be 100% sure if I was to ever lay down £50 on a check. They have said they only look for CCJ/similar but not sure I can risk it..

Where do you find listings of flats that aren't through agents? Are there any on Rightmove?

I think it's £18 for a credit check.

To find non agency lets depends to an extent what type of property you are looking for, and where it is.

TCC and ashmk made good suggestions.

When advertising flats, I get most responses from a newsagent whose window is full of letting postcard ads, and also from an advert board on a local supermarket.

If its an area with a lot of rented property, visit local newsagents, as they often have ads in the window, or cycle round the area just looking for "To Rent" signs in windows, you see far more than when you are driving. Alternately go round as a passenger in a car.

Often you can get really good prices doing this too, and no checks or up front fees normally. Generally all you need is a month's rent and a month's deposit.

If you say where you are looking, someone might be familiar with that area in the forum here.

Evening,

I'm looking to rent a new place, I'm currently renting from a council and paying a weekly amount but I want more choice so I've been looking at private renting. The problem is the fee's you need to pay before you even know if you can get the property. A few places have said £200+ to pay even before you've been accepted.

My main concern is the references. Is it worth me buying my own references, if so, which one? Will I see what they see? I've been late with rent a few times but nothing that has caused alarm bells.

I'm not on the register at this property but have applied for an application.

I'm hoping to find somewhere in the paper, though. Cut out the (expensive) middleman.

Appreciate any advice.

Exactly who are you planning to buy areference from?

Sorry, I meant the 'check' they do. I assumed it was similar to a credit check where info would be given to whoever was asking for it. See it as 'reference' check that can be obtained through different companies ranging from around £15 to £50.

Might be worth checking Experian and Equifax before making an application.

You had a thread in July re CCJs & Defaults and renting??

You had a thread in July re CCJs & Defaults and renting??

Hi, this was about the other checks the agents use. I see they do a credit check and a reference check. I have a credit check but would like to see what's on my 'other' report.

Your reference check would be a written reference from your current landlord, employer and in some cases your bank. I'm on my phone so I can't check your other thread - do you have ccj's?

• Confused 1

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

If I've been helpful, please click my star. :oops:

What ''other'' report ?

Laughinggirl mentions it above. I thought it was an online check, obviously not though. I've seen it mentioned on most rent listings, some say they will do either the credit check OR reference check.

This reference check is made to a person or organisation who have had dealings with, financialy, personally or professionaly that you name as a referee.

This reference check is made to a person or organisation who have had dealings with, financialy, personally or professionaly that you name as a referee.

Ok, thanks for clearing that up. I guess I should be fine on that front (hopefully).

Thanks once again!

An agency will require the name and address of the referee and the relationship of the referee to you, then they will contact them with a few questions about you.