style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3595 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Evening,

Is it true that letting agencies cannot do a thorough check like a bank and only see CCJ's and other similar marks on your report? Or Do they only look for those?

I read somewhere they cannot access the defaults on an account.

Looking to rent but have a few defaults. Hopefully I'll find somewhere. :)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They will I think be able to check on CCJs, repossesions.and coluld apply

to banks for references.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Yes some agencies charge very high rates for credit checks and obtaining references, and in my experience don't actually carry them out.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

We had an agency near us that charged £300.00 pp for checks and references,

demanded that all payments had to be in cash, asked for a cash deposit to secure

a tenancy before any of the above was completed, failed to pay rents to LLs and

folded after a couple of years having taken the deposits of dozens of people with

them.

It amounted to much the same thing with tenants visiting the CABs i was in (both Scotland and England) having deposits kept. In Glasgow near the end of June you could expect to see a student at least once a day per advisor who lost a deposit without reason and was then ignored.

The new deposit holding schemes are an excellent idea - but England should apply similar laws to Scotland regarding premiums.

Thanks for the comments, interesting. It does sound like a rip off, a check costs what, £5 max? And they don't even do the thorough check I don't think.

I'm now thinking about renting privately without the agents as I do have a couple of defaults so would want to be 100% sure if I was to ever lay down £50 on a check. They have said they only look for CCJ/similar but not sure I can risk it..

Where do you find listings of flats that aren't through agents? Are there any on Rightmove?

A few.

Martins newsagents nationwide have cards in the window.

Local free and evening newspapers.

Beware of gumtree and such places, although there are numerous real houses to rent, it is a hunting ground for "not nice" people.

I am not a solicitor :!::!:

Most of my knowledge came from this site :-D:-D

If I have been helpful in any way at all .............. Please click my star..... :-(:-(

Have a look in the papers, Gumtree, Friday free ad and other free ad space.

Beware of anyone who wants money upfront before you view. If you put a wanted ad on Gumtree, which I did, I guarantee you will get a few Nigrians try and con you. They pick a house at random in the aera your looking for and take some pics from Google streetview and random interior pictures then ask for a deposit before a viewing. Dont fall for it, Be very very careful.

You can normally see them coming as they do not have a grasp on basic English.

I think it's £18 for a credit check.

To find non agency lets depends to an extent what type of property you are looking for, and where it is.

TCC and ashmk made good suggestions.

When advertising flats, I get most responses from a newsagent whose window is full of letting postcard ads, and also from an advert board on a local supermarket.

If its an area with a lot of rented property, visit local newsagents, as they often have ads in the window, or cycle round the area just looking for "To Rent" signs in windows, you see far more than when you are driving. Alternately go round as a passenger in a car.

Often you can get really good prices doing this too, and no checks or up front fees normally. Generally all you need is a month's rent and a month's deposit.

If you say where you are looking, someone might be familiar with that area in the forum here.

• 3 months later...

Evening,

I'm looking to rent a new place, I'm currently renting from a council and paying a weekly amount but I want more choice so I've been looking at private renting. The problem is the fee's you need to pay before you even know if you can get the property. A few places have said £200+ to pay even before you've been accepted.

My main concern is the references. Is it worth me buying my own references, if so, which one? Will I see what they see? I've been late with rent a few times but nothing that has caused alarm bells.

I'm not on the register at this property but have applied for an application.

I'm hoping to find somewhere in the paper, though. Cut out the (expensive) middleman.

Appreciate any advice.

Sorry, I meant the 'check' they do. I assumed it was similar to a credit check where info would be given to whoever was asking for it. See it as 'reference' check that can be obtained through different companies ranging from around £15 to £50.

Your reference check would be a written reference from your current landlord, employer and in some cases your bank. I'm on my phone so I can't check your other thread - do you have ccj's?

• Confused 1

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

If I've been helpful, please click my star. :oops:

This reference check is made to a person or organisation who have had dealings with, financialy, personally or professionaly that you name as a referee.

An agency will require the name and address of the referee and the relationship of the referee to you, then they will contact them with a few questions about you.