• Tweets

• Our picks

• Hermes lost parcel.. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422615-hermes-lost-parcel/
      • 49 replies
    • Oven repair. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/427690-oven-repair/&do=findComment&comment=5073391
      • 49 replies
    • I came across this discussion recently and just wanted to give my experience of A Shade Greener that may help others regarding their boiler finance agreement.

We had a 10yr  finance contract for a boiler fitted July 2015.

After a summer of discontent with ASG I discovered that if you have paid HALF the agreement or more you can legally return the boiler to them at no cost to yourself. I've just returned mine the feeling is liberating.

It all started mid summer during lockdown when they refused to service our boiler because we didn't have a loft ladder or flooring installed despite the fact AS installed the boiler. and had previosuly serviced it without issue for 4yrs. After consulting with an independent installer I was informed that if this was the case then ASG had breached building regulations,  this was duly reported to Gas Safe to investigate and even then ASG refused to accept blame and repeatedly said it was my problem. Anyway Gas Safe found them in breach of building regs and a compromise was reached.

A month later and ASG attended to service our boiler but in the process left the boiler unusuable as it kept losing pressure not to mention they had damaged the filling loop in the process which they said was my responsibilty not theres and would charge me to repair, so generous of them! Soon after reporting the fault I got a letter stating it was time we arranged a powerflush on our heating system which they make you do after 5 years even though there's nothing in the contract that states this. Coincidence?

After a few heated exchanges with ASG (pardon the pun) I decided to pull the plug and cancel our agreement.

The boiler was removed and replaced by a reputable installer,  and the old boiler was returned to ASG thus ending our contract with them. What's mad is I saved in excess of £1000 in the long run and got a new boiler with a brand new 12yr warranty. 

You only have to look at TrustPilot to get an idea of what this company is like.

• Thanks
      • 3 replies
    • Dazza a few months ago I discovered a good friend of mine who had ten debts with cards and catalogues which he was slavishly paying off at detriment to his own family quality of life, and I mean hardship, not just absence of second holidays or flat screen TV's.

I wrote to all his creditors asking for supporting documents and not one could provide any material that would allow them to enforce the debt.

As a result he stopped paying and they have been unable to do anything, one even admitted it was unenforceable.

If circumstances have got to the point where you are finding it unmanageable you must ask yourself why you feel the need to pay.  I guarantee you that these companies have built bad debt into their business model and no one over there is losing any sleep over your debt to them!  They will see you as a victim and cash cow and they will be reluctant to discuss final offers, only ways to keep you paying with threats of court action or seizing your assets if you have any.

They are not your friends and you owe them no loyalty or moral duty, that must remain only for yourself and your family.

If it was me I would send them all a CCA request.   I would bet that not one will provide the correct response and you can quite legally stop paying them until such time as they do provide a response.   Even when they do you should check back here as they mostly send dodgy photo copies or generic rubbish that has no connection with your supposed debt.

The money you are paying them should, as far as you are able, be put to a savings account for yourself and as a means of paying of one of these fleecers should they ever manage to get to to the point of a successful court judgement.  After six years they will not be able to start court action and that money will then become yours.

They will of course pursue you for the funds and pass your file around various departments of their business and out to third parties.

Your response is that you should treat it as a hobby.  I have numerous files of correspondence each faithfully organised showing the various letters from different DCA;s , solicitors etc with a mix of threats, inducements and offers.   It is like my stamp collection and I show it to anyone who is interested!
        • Thanks

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3026 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi, I took a job working directly for someone who runs a small business. It was on a month long basis but at the end of that he said about extending it.

Now, I became sick and had a couple of days off and also decided the money wasn't ideal for me at the moment so said I'm getting better now but I appreciate being given the chance to stay on but I will leave at the end of the month as the money isn't what I'm after at the moment (it's part time). The guy said if I can get sick notes from the doctor he would like to keep me on his books but on SSP as I will get some money then and can come back when I want to and if I change my mind can leave then.

I thought this sounded a bit shady as I have just told him I'm no longer sick. I -could- get sick notes because of my depression because it is really bad which is actually more honestly one of the reasons I do want to leave and have a bit of a break, but he doesn't know about that. I just thought it all sounded really weird, and WHY would he do this?

What benefit is it to him? I don't want to be involved in some sort of tax fiddle or anything. I was really taken aback by it and also isn't he telling me to get sick notes when as far as he knows I'm not sick anymore? Isn't that a bit weird?

Edited by citizenB
spacing for easier reading

Hi, I agree it does sound fishey, is SSP refunded by the state I wonder.

I think you are wise to keep away.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Can't see a tax fiddle. Does he "like" you? Would he get a long term unemployed-to-job bonus for you? Is he setting you up for fraud so he can get you to do illegal things for him later or he will shop you?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

I haven't been unemployed so I don't think it's that. I was only out of work for a few weeks before I got this job. I don't think he "likes" me, I am pretty sure he isn't married but I am an overweight, sweaty man, lol, he would be a bit weird if he did but each to their own. I really don't know why he is saying this as I had telephoned him to say I would leave and then he said about keeping me on the books on SSP???? It just seems so odd. My doctor has said because my depression is severe that I am probably not fit to work but this guy doesn't know about that, so I don't know how he thinks I would get signed off anyway. Even though my doctor offers to sign me off I have never taken him up on it because I like to try and work hard.

I think you would really be best staying away from this!!!

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Yes I think that I will, I just wanted to see if anyone could give me any insight as to why he suggested it. I know he is pleased with the work I did and would like to keep me on but maybe he was just talking about short term and I was getting confused but I did tell him I was better now, and I'd only been sick for a couple of days so wouldn't need a sick note for that anyway!

Just tell him you're good to come back on a casual basis if you enjoy the work.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

You sound like a hard worker, sure you can do better than this job.

he doesn't keep you on contract - but if he needs a pair of hands and you are free you are happy for him to get you in for the odd day or week. So if you don't get other work, you still have some income.

That sounds good, would I be "employed" by him still? Maybe that's what he meant by keeping me on his books. What if I found another job?

if you find another job on better money you take it.

ask if he wants to give you a bell as and when he needs a worker?

oh - but NOT on SSP!

Yeah I don't want to be on SSP, I just want to know why he suggested that. I did say I'm better but maybe he misunderstood? It seems really weird that I wondered if it might be dodgy.

Update, told him I can't get SSP as I'm no longer sick, he said he wants to still keep me employed but not as a casual worker, just on no hours but he can call me in whenever he needs :???:. I just said no and that I'm looking for something with more hours