What's in it for him?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4303 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I took a job working directly for someone who runs a small business. It was on a month long basis but at the end of that he said about extending it.

Now, I became sick and had a couple of days off and also decided the money wasn't ideal for me at the moment so said I'm getting better now but I appreciate being given the chance to stay on but I will leave at the end of the month as the money isn't what I'm after at the moment (it's part time). The guy said if I can get sick notes from the doctor he would like to keep me on his books but on SSP as I will get some money then and can come back when I want to and if I change my mind can leave then.

I thought this sounded a bit shady as I have just told him I'm no longer sick. I -could- get sick notes because of my depression because it is really bad which is actually more honestly one of the reasons I do want to leave and have a bit of a break, but he doesn't know about that. I just thought it all sounded really weird, and WHY would he do this?

What benefit is it to him? I don't want to be involved in some sort of tax fiddle or anything. I was really taken aback by it and also isn't he telling me to get sick notes when as far as he knows I'm not sick anymore? Isn't that a bit weird?

Edited by citizenB
spacing for easier reading

Hi, I agree it does sound fishey, is SSP refunded by the state I wonder.

I think you are wise to keep away.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Can't see a tax fiddle. Does he "like" you? Would he get a long term unemployed-to-job bonus for you? Is he setting you up for fraud so he can get you to do illegal things for him later or he will shop you?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

I haven't been unemployed so I don't think it's that. I was only out of work for a few weeks before I got this job. I don't think he "likes" me, I am pretty sure he isn't married but I am an overweight, sweaty man, lol, he would be a bit weird if he did but each to their own. I really don't know why he is saying this as I had telephoned him to say I would leave and then he said about keeping me on the books on SSP???? It just seems so odd. My doctor has said because my depression is severe that I am probably not fit to work but this guy doesn't know about that, so I don't know how he thinks I would get signed off anyway. Even though my doctor offers to sign me off I have never taken him up on it because I like to try and work hard.

I think you would really be best staying away from this!!!

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Yes I think that I will, I just wanted to see if anyone could give me any insight as to why he suggested it. I know he is pleased with the work I did and would like to keep me on but maybe he was just talking about short term and I was getting confused but I did tell him I was better now, and I'd only been sick for a couple of days so wouldn't need a sick note for that anyway!

Just tell him you're good to come back on a casual basis if you enjoy the work.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

You sound like a hard worker, sure you can do better than this job.

he doesn't keep you on contract - but if he needs a pair of hands and you are free you are happy for him to get you in for the odd day or week. So if you don't get other work, you still have some income.

if you find another job on better money you take it.

ask if he wants to give you a bell as and when he needs a worker?

Yeah I don't want to be on SSP, I just want to know why he suggested that. I did say I'm better but maybe he misunderstood? It seems really weird that I wondered if it might be dodgy.

Update, told him I can't get SSP as I'm no longer sick, he said he wants to still keep me employed but not as a casual worker, just on no hours but he can call me in whenever he needs :???:. I just said no and that I'm looking for something with more hours