DVLA stops employment opportunity

meep2006
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4299 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Having been given the opportunity of employment I have had the rug pulled from underneath my feet due to having an endorsement on my license which is due to expire in 5 months. The company i have the opportunity of employment with I worked for before and they put me through my class 2. My license has been clean for 5 months short of 11 years but the endorsement is still standing in my way of what I love doing - driving lorries. I wrote to the DVLA and explained the situation and asked if they could remove said endorsement off of the counter part of my license but keep the endorsement on file. I recieved a letter 3 weeks later from the DVLA stating that the law is the law and they can't help me. They said:

"Unfortunately the Law states that these endorsemets have to remain on the driving licence until they have time expired. If after 05/11/2012 you want expired endorsements removed from your licence then please apply by completing the enclosed application form (D1) and return it together with your licence and correct fee."

I understand that the endorsement is my fault but surely letting it stand in my way for 10 and a half years should not have an impact on me getting a HGV class 2 driving job. The Government wants to get people back to work and I am trying to do so yet have hit a brick wall.

I think that DVLA should judge different cases on different merits.

That is a shame, I cannot think of any way round this unfortunately

there is as far as I can see no flexibilty allowed on this, and they can

only stick to the law as set down.

Maybe write to your MP for help!

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

I think your main annoyance should be directed at an employer who appears to be taking an expired endorcement (for the purpose of totting up) into account beyond their point of validity.

The good news is that you only have to wait for 5 more months until your driving record is clean again, and hopefully you won't commit any driving offences again! Maybe it is harsh for totting-up to stay on for a full 11 years, but that's the law and your employer would probably argue they need some idea of the driving record of people they employ to drive large, heavy vehicles.

Unfortunately, the DVLA are correct, in this instance. There is a whole raft of legislation that governs rehabilitation periods for offences, e.g. Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1971. Road Traffic and Construction & Use offences have differing rehabilitation periods for endorsements, where an offence is endorsable.