URGENT. ESA Appeal Tomorrow. Problems. Please Help.

sunnysue
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4303 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi. I have my ESA appeal tomorrow. I was all set. But now I'm in a complete spin. The family member that was coming to support me has had an emergency. So is no longer able to come with me.The only person available at this last minute is my daughter. However, I am claiming ESA for severe depression. And what caused the depression is something terrible that happened to my daughter.Without going into detail, It was something that really knocked us all for six. It took a lot of time, effort and worry to get her through it. I was alone in getting her through this horrible period. But eventually is all got on top of me. And it left me with the severe depression I have now.My daughter still suffers from the effects of what happened. And is still having counseling for it. And also self harms.I have supplied the tribunal with information about everything that happened.My problem is, I do not want my daughter to hear everything being discussed. It will be too upsetting for her. I know it would set her back quite a bit.But this means I will have to face the tribunal on my own. Will this go against me? Or will the tribunal understand why I am having to face them alone. Feeling really scared at this moment.

Is it worth contacting the tribunal service today and explaining the problem with your original companion? They may agree to adjourn, but even if they don't you've lost nothing but the cost of a phone call.

If you have to attend tomorrow (and don't even think about not attending!) then it would be best to have someone with you so you could take your daughter along but leave her in the waiting room and immediately explain to the panel why you've had to do that. I'm not entirely sure they'd ask about what causes the depression anyway - surely they're only interested in how it affects you?

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Thank you. I have no problem with leaving my daughter in the waiting room. That will be ok. I just don't want her to hear everything discussed. Would the tribunal understand, if I explain it to them? I don't want them thinking "If she's well enough to come into the tribunal on her own. She's well enough to work" Thanks or your help.I don't want to pospone the tribunal. I've really had to mentally prepare myself for this one. I just want it over now.

Edited by sunnysue

I have just won my tribunal today at 2:00PM getting 18 points (originally got null points). The tribunal staff, as I read, are very, very helpful and friendly. They have no link with DWP/ ATOSH. They are very understanding and will listen to you and help. Either phone the central number (0300 123 1142) and explain to the clerk your situation tomorrrow morning. Don`t forget to have your ref number handy (begins with SC...). They will offer you good advice. I was still faxing evidence 2 hours prior to my hearing and even handed some in when I got to tribunal office today. Don`t worry they are VERY understanding. You could fax through a letter tonight which should reach them by tomorrow. I didn`t have access to fax facilities but used an efax service (free months trial and then cancel it). Failing that, you will have no problem at all if you ask to have a quick word with the clerk tomorrow in private (if you wish) or just hand them a quick note explaining your situation briefly. Please DON`t worry. They are quite used to dealing with very complex problems and they WILL help you. The staff I just dealt with in B******N ( a large seaside city south of London) were ultra helpful and so were the staff in Sutton. Just do whatever is easiest for YOU. The tribunal staff are there to help and they will. I was v panicky and now I`ve been through it I can promise you "Don`t worry, even at this late stage".

By the way, I had my mother with me in the appeal. I had written a LOT about her that I didn`t want read out. I highlighted everything that was "sesnsitive" and it wasn`t touched upon during the appeal. There were two people at my appeal, a solicitor and a doctor. That was all. It was very, very informal. Not at all what I expected. No judges, just an office desk and three chairs. Hope this helps.

Of course it won't go against you if you have to attend alone. They certainly wouldn't think that you must be ok if you can attend by yourself. Good luck ...

I won!!! Thanks for all your good wishes. They worked. I couldn't have had nicer people on the panel. The judge looked very much like hyacinth bucket.The people before me didn't look too happy. So I thought I've no chance here. But they gave me the decision there and then. I didn't even have to wait outside while they discussed it.The letter they gave me recommends I be reassessed again within 24 months. I don't know if the dwp will take any notice of that.Now I will have to battle to get the benefit they stopped backdated. And get back to the full amount to be paid. I am sooo relieved I can't tell you. Thanks again for thinking of me.

Edited by sunnysue