• Tweets

• I've just taken another look through the stuff they sent me in response to the CPR request, the notice of assignment isn't the original , it's on a plain sheet of non letterhead paper, in fact it could have easily been typed up by Overdales, or anybody really.  On the other side of the paper are standard Lowell terms and conditions that are only half on the page. Should this be part of my defence?
    • I agree with my site team colleague above. We need to know all the facts including which company you are dealing with and an explanation of the problem. It really is too difficult to start giving speculative advice on some speculative problem that you have laid out as a generalised scenario
    • Moorcroft are sending a rep round to my house this week. What is the best way to handle this? Ignore and not answer the door or engage with them? I haven't acknowledged anything since I started on this journey and defaulted on my cards in December 2022
    • Very sorry but with the best will in the world, I don't think we can at all understand what the situation is here. Please can you try rewriting this on a word processor and maybe send a copy of what you have written to a friend and working out together so that the story is complete but as brief as possible. Maybe a list of dates as well. If you can do that and then repost your story we can have a look
    • Hi, I am a local authority tenant and was in a 3 bed house. At the end of last year, my last child moved out and so did my spouse as we are now going through a divorce which meant that I was in the house alone and decided that I needed to downsize not only for myself but to offer the property to a family that needed it. I registered on the local authority housing bidding site as i was asked to do and I was accepted and given a priority banding as I was downsizing and they were desperate for my house. I have been extremely lucky and after about 6 weeks was accepted for a new build from a housing association via the housing gateway. I viewed the property 2 weeks ago and had to sign the tenancy last week when they were doing bulk signups for the houses and that is the day I moved. In between viewing and sign up, I contacted my current local authority landlord and asked how I give notice as I had been accepted for a property I had bid on and was moving.  The lady told me how to do it online and then said that I needed to give a full weeks notice which wasnt a problem as I had enough time.  (I was also told a weeks notice was what i would need to give by another staff member about a month ago when I phoned up for another housing related question.  I dont have any of this in writing.) I have now moved, handed back the keys and I am now being told that I need to give 4 weeks notice which I cannot afford. I hav e spoken to the council again explaining that I was told a week and that to be honest, if I knew they were going to charge me 4 weeks I would not have been able to move and would have stayed in the other house.  I thought I was doing the right thing. They said that calls are recorded and they asked me when I called in and was told a week and they would listen to the telephone conversation and if it was correct what I was told, they would see what they could do to reduce the notice period. They have now emailed me back and said that they have listened to the conversation and the lady said 4 weeks notice and I am liable for 4 weeks rent.  Now I may well of misheard her when I thought she said a full weeks notice she may have said 4 weeks notice but I am sure she said a full weeks notice and i was told a week by another member of staff a few weeks ago. I have emailed her back and said that I may of misheard but I would like to listen to the phone recording myself.  As yet they havent responded. I think its unreasonable for them to make me give 4 weeks when I had to sign the new tenancy with little notice or loose the property.  And it was all done through their gateway, and they will have a tenant in there pretty much straight away getting rent from them. I am on a very low income, I am on my own, I have serious medical issues and I am really getting myself stressed out over this. Any advice would be so appreciated.  Can I insist they let me listed to the recording? RH  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Nothing but problems and charges,

jo5ephedward5
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3843 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I emailed the CEO last week and got this response in a matter of hours...wonder how long it will take them to throw it out again...

I do hope they can see my side on this occasion.

Thank you for your email addressed to Ana Botin, Chief Executive Officer, and for taking the time to bring your concerns to our attention.

One of our Executive Complaints Team will be responsible for carrying out an independent review of your complaint in the hope that we can reach an acceptable outcome.

Once our review is complete we will provide you with the details of our investigation and the proposed outcome. If you remain unhappy and do not feel we have resolved your complaint to your satisfaction you are entitled to refer your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service as detailed in the attached leaflet.

Until our investigation is complete, I do not know what the outcome will be. I do hope however, that we will be able to find a solution that you are happy with.

Thank you & kind regards

Denise Moran

Executive Complaints Team

People who haven't made mistakes, haven't made anything!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WOOHOO!

I’ve just had a call from the executive complaints office at Santander and they have been through the ‘entire’ case and concluded that they are at fault – they have now paid off the balance to zero and they have contacted their data controller to remove all adverse history from my credit record – needless to say I’m over the moon with this, it’s been a 12 month slog but I couldn't have done it without CAG.

The letter confirming all is going in tonight’s post but assuming it arrives early next week I think this thread can finally be updated to say *won*

hey now that is news.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 4 weeks later...

Well last week I did finally receive the letter from the CEO complaints office to confirm they were very sorry about everything I’d been through and that the balance would be cleared and their data controller had been contacted to remove the adverse data from my account.

I’ve been keeping a close eye on my credit file and yesterday I got an email from Equifax saying there had been a change to my credit file – I’ve just had a look and the change is:

‘you’re Santander current account status has changed from ‘D’ (Defaulted) to ‘S’ (Settled).

I assumed what they would do would be to remove all evidence of the account existing but what they have done is to change the status, update my address and remove every ‘late’ marker off the history suggesting that it was paid off in full and closed in 2011. Whilst I’m not really sure this is a ‘true reflection’ of my account I’m happy with the result as there is no trace of a default on the account anymore.

Thanks everyone for all your help, this thread can now be changed to ‘Won’, but before I go, does anyone think it’s still worth me writing to the Financial Ombudsman to tell them what I’ve been through? Just because I got the right result in the end doesn't mean that Santander have operated in a professionally adequate manner, they destroyed my credit file for over a year, I think that the relevant bodies should be made aware of it.

J

sri without scanning through

did satans bank offer any kind of compo with regard to the 'damage'

this has done your credit rating since it was there?

don't get me wrong, great result, but, in most of these cases

certainly the ICO etc all end in compo.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

No compensation at the end, I had a couple of small payments in the middle as apologies for their short falls in communication etc as follows:

£100 for account 1 as this was a joining incentive which they initially diddled me out of [although I don't consider that compo]

£150 for account 2 to say really sorry we messed up before they closed it and removed it from my file [again, this was technically an account that they already signed off so doesn't count towards this]

£60 for not replying to my complaints in a timely manner.

I was refused a mobile phone contract when I wanted to change accounts

as well as a credit card with a zero % rate,

both due to my credit file a

nd as this was the only blemish on the files they referred to I have to assume it was Santander that were causing it.

the other item was a loan from my bank for a car purchase,

I've got a 9k loan at 14% instead of the advertised 5.1% which I'd had on 2 previous loans

- the bank couldn't explain why as I'm a 'perfect' candidate for their lowest rate

however the computer generated results from my credit file was suggesting i was a higher than average risk.

then you need to put that in a letter to satans bank about all three.

they should be offering compo

they caused these issue as some of them have cost your MONEY!!

and are still doing so.

p'haps it might be an idea to ask brig to pop in and comment

dx

and they

I've sent Brig a message so we'll see if he gets 5 mins to take a look...Obviously I'd love some compensation as to say this has been a stressful and costly problem would be an understatement!

J

OK, a couple of questions please.

What actually shows on the CRA files (have you checked all 3 main agencies?) Are LP markers still showing?

I may have missed this so please bear with me! Was there any agreement with Satans Bank to remove all adverse data from CRA files?

From the details in post 56# I agree with dx there is a case for financial redress,.

I'll draft a letter for you if you wish.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Hi Brig,

Satan agreed to remove all adverse data - I assumed this would mean wiping the account all together but they have actually done just that - removed all the negative data so it looks like I had the account for a year with no late payments, no overdraft no default and then closed it - its now marked as settled, there are no LP markers and no whiff of the default - this is reflected on Call Credit and Equifax, the account never showed on Experian in the first place.

If you could draft a little something I'd be really grateful for the help.

J

Ok good!!

What level of redress would you consider appropriate? To give me some idea of which way to play this.

How long was the adverse data displayed for. What actual financial loss and or disadvantage did you suffer?

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Hi Brig,

Sorry for the delay it’s taken me a couple of days to dig out the information; a summary of the accounts is as follows:

Negative data [late payment markers] started to appear on Account 1 in May 2011 as follows:

May 2011 - 2 late payments [LPs]

Jun 2011 - 3 LPs

Jul 2011 – 4 LPs

Aug 2011 - 5 LPs

Sept 2011 - Default £718.

The default remained for 2 years until September 2013 when Santander wiped all the data back to September 2011 and removed all the late payment markers before this and leaving no trace of a default on my credit file.

Negative data started to appeared on account 2 in June 2011 as follows:

Jun 2011 - 3 LPs

Jul 2011- 4 LPs

Aug 2011- 5 LPs

Sep 2011 - 6 LPs

Oct 2011 - Default for £1800

The default remained for about 2 years until May 2013 when Santander admitted they shouldn’t have given me the account in the first place – they wiped the account completely as if it never existed and it no longer shows on my credit files.

Between Sept 2011 and Sept 2013 the accounts status was also listed as gone-away even though I was in full written contact with Santander for over a year.

I received the following ‘goodwill’ from Santander:

Account 1 - £100 cheque to say sorry for the terrible switching experience and here’s the £100 incentive you joined for originally.

Account 2 - £150 cheque to say sorry they shouldn’t have given me the account in the first place.

Plus a £60 for not responding in a timely manner [several months].

I believe the financial actual repercussions of the above are as follows:

In October 2012 I was refused a mobile phone contract with t-mobile based the results on my credit search [this was when I first applied for my files to see what the problem was as to all intents and purposes it should have been clean] – I had to stay with o2 who were £10 per month more expensive, so over 24 months it will cost me around an extra £240.

In Feb 2013 I applied for a loan with my long term bank [i wish I’d never considered leaving as they’ve always been brilliant – the things we do for a quick buck!] this was when they said they couldn’t offer me the low rate they have in the past as the credit score was coming back lower than normal – the only blemish was the 2 Santander accounts – this loan is for 42 months so based on the £9600 I borrowed over 42months I’m looking at around £1900 in ‘additional’ interest over their best rate.

In May 2013 I applied for an AMEX card with a 0% transfer incentive, this was declined, again due to credit score and Santander was the only blemish I had so I have to believe it was a large influence on their decision. This means I still had 3k on my credit card at 18.9% apr so at the rate I’m clearing it that’s approx. £800 extra interest.

I’m not someone that exclusively lives on credit, I have a good income and I’ve worked really hard to get a good credit score – I chose to ‘spread’ payments on a few select things, unfortunately Santander have left me with 3 long term problems which are ultimately going to cost me around 3k in additional interest over the best deals which I can only assume I would have been a prime candidate for.

I’m not sure on what redress they are likely to consider appropriate, but the fact is I feel as if I’m out of pocket by 3k – what are peoples thoughts?

J

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Jo Missed this been away for a while.

On those instances my feelings are £750 per instance of being declined for credit for the stress and embarrassment caused by the refusal.

Then sums equal to the extra costs incurred because of the adverse data Satans caused to be displayed o CRA files.

Finally I would suggest sum of £1500.00 in regard to the overall time, trouble and stress caused while attempting to settle this matter.

Thanks Brig,

So to your mind it’s potentially:

2x £750 refused credit with t-mobile and AMEX [£1500]

1x £240 extra cost from having to stay with my mobile phone supplier

1x £1900 extra interest from my personal loan

1x £800 extra interest from my credit card

1x £1500 for time, effort, postage and research to fight my corner.

So £5940 would be considered a ‘fair’ figure for compensation or have I misinterpreted somewhere?

Also how do I go about wording something like this – I assume it has to be to the point, well backed up with evidence and written with the view that if they won’t play ball I should take them to the small claims court?

J

Thanks Brig,

So to your mind it’s potentially:

2x £750 refused credit with t-mobile and AMEX [£1500]

1x £240 extra cost from having to stay with my mobile phone supplier

1x £1900 extra interest from my personal loan

1x £800 extra interest from my credit card

1x £1500 for time, effort, postage and research to fight my corner.

So £5940 would be considered a ‘fair’ figure for compensation or have I misinterpreted somewhere?

Also how do I go about wording something like this – I assume it has to be to the point, well backed up with evidence and written with the view that if they won’t play ball I should take them to the small claims court?

J

That is what I would work on it's calculated on the actual financial loss incurred plus compensation for the for the stress and embarrassment of refused credit and takes into consideration the extended time to rectify the matter.

It's not making a 'profit' just rectifying actual calculated loss + damages.

Very fair I think.

OK I'll get something written up and in the post this week - is there something 'official' to look up / quote when making this claim...I.e some code of conduct that sets out some guidelines on what can be claimed.

J

I don't think it is needed, as said your 'claim' is for proven loss, and redress for the effort, embarrassment and stress the bank has caused.

quick one - should I send this request to the CEO executive complaints team that finally gave me some results or should I fire this to the data controller?

Yes! exec team.