Can you be in the support group for esa and still work ? i do not understand this ?

jacob18
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4279 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have not claimed easa before but i won my tribunal , i am in the support group , but then no apps from jobcentre etc ? Now they say i havent declared capital , i have none by the way ! i think this is harassment to be truthful , is there something i am missing in this back to work group that i am not aware of , i do know of people who claim this and work , and i think they are allowed. so can someone explain this to me please ?:mad2: Any information would be helpful , thanks in advance.

There is the Permitted Work Scheme. This allows claimants of ESA in any group to do some work and still keep their benefits. Basically you can work up to 16 hours per week for 52 weeks and earn no more than about £100 per week, or you can work up to 5 hours per week for as long as you like and earn up to about £25 per week. You no longer need the permission of the DWP to do this, but you do need to declare it.

If you're in the SG you don't have to participate in work related activity (Jobcentre appointments and so on) but can do so if you wish.

Regarding the alleged undeclared capital, we'd need more information to give you a proper answer. What, specifically have they said? Have they asked you for bank statement or given you any specific reason why they think you have capital?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

I got a lump sum payment into trust all done by solicitors all above board etc , got the paper work. They were always aware , as it was down to my disabled sons death of clincial negligence. I nver knew i could work and claim these benefits , not a clue ?? Maybe that is why they are freaking out me thinks about the benefit in first place. I do ntoo have any savings , so you would think i have nothing to worry about , excuxe my paranoia of what i have read on here , and the dealings i have had with them , such as losing my fit notes or not putting the right date into the computer! It was a personal injury trust. I am feeling they should just lock me up and throw away the key, i will give up my house and go homeless and go the soup kitchen , sounds dramatic , i have had it i really really have , there is only so much a person can take! i thought if you are not well , you are not well enough to work and that is why you claim it. Thankyou you have explained alot to me and now makes alot of sense.

I realise now why they are getting on their high horses , why if you can work part time does one need to claim sick ? i am on it and even i do not get that one !

I am not being funny or anything as nobody is having more grief than i am , however i am not fit enough to work so how can i be expected to go to an atos interview and say i work part time year in and year out ? I do not understand this , i know people who do this ? i have claimed for two years, so is all alien to me? People on the old system then can still get away with this ? i guess ? can they ?

I realise now why they are getting on their high horses , why if you can work part time does one need to claim sick ? i am on it and even i do not get that one !

Various reasons. Some people aren't sure if they're ready to work yet - PW allows them to test the water without risking their benefit if it doesn't work out. Some claimants have been on benefits for so long that they need support re-entering the labour market again. And the government would rather encourage people to try to work if possible, so even though it costs a little more short term, it's in the long term interest of both the claimants and the taxpayers for people to get back to work if they can.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

I have found out lately , that this the case but surely not for years on end ? i see both sides of it , but the government have caused this !

Well, I explained the PW rules upthread. If someone is working outside the rules of the scheme and claiming ESA then they are committing fraud.

I don't understand it either, I am off sick, on half pay, but was told to apply for ESA, but I already have a job, and I will be going back to it. Meanwhile, I can't claim for anything, because I am not on means tested benefit, but yet I cannot afford to pay my full mortgage, and spend my time, worrying about money. I am off with stress/anxiety.... doesn't make sense. If I was in social housing, I could claim and get housing benefit...... it is such a mess, and so many people are suffering.

LilythePink

If you liked what I said, and if it helped in any way, please tip my scales..... thank you:)

you can work up to 5 hours per week for as long as you like and earn up to about £25 per week. You no longer need the permission of the DWP to do this, but you do need to declare it.

That comment intrigues me. As far as I was aware, the rule was that you could earn up to £20 a week fullstop!!

There was never any limit to the hours worked to earn that £20, hence why people who were self employed and only made a small profit each week were still entitled to continue working in that business.

Have the rules changed as I haven't seen anything?

work and earn up to £20 a week, at any time, for as long as you are receiving Employment and Support Allowance

You can claim ESA if you still have a job.

I am not being funny or anything as nobody is having more grief than i am

And you know that how?

I don't get the issue here. It is Government law that you can do this.

I understand that , but surely if you are in a job a year or so , then money needs to stop ? I am only a lay person , i just do not get it !

Why does the money need to stop? You can earn up to £20 for an unlimited time. Do you really expect people to be able to live on £20 a week?

They're not doing anything illegal.

I am not having a go , really i am not , but i know people then working thirty hours a week , and tell me they are only working for a pound an hour ? come on ? I may have a mental health issue but even i know that is WRONG ?

That comment intrigues me. As far as I was aware, the rule was that you could earn up to £20 a week fullstop!!

There was never any limit to the hours worked to earn that £20, hence why people who were self employed and only made a small profit each week were still entitled to continue working in that business.

Have the rules changed as I haven't seen anything?

I suspect (but don't know for sure) that this change was introduced around the same time as NMW, as another rule of the PW scheme is that you must be paid at least NMW. Not sure how it works for the self-employed these days. I think for that you'd be looking at Test Trading rather than PW, but I don't know.

I am not having a go , really i am not , but i know people then working thirty hours a week , and tell me they are only working for a pound an hour ? come on ? I may have a mental health issue but even i know that is WRONG ?

30 hours per week for a pound an hour is not permitted work, it's working illicitly while claiming benefit.

Look wouldn't it be easier that if you are sick you cannot work at all ? if you are well then you can ? now i can see why this system is flawed in so many ways !

I have already explained the rationale behind PW - to help people work towards a return to full time work and away from the benefits system. The system is indeed flawed in many ways, but I submit that this is not one of them.

Yes , but they are and you know it and so do i ! Thing is how do you catch them , as earnings do not have to be declared ?

If you are concerned that someone may be committing benefit fraud you can either report them or ignore it. That's your choice. Complaining about it on this forum is likely to be a waste of time and energy.

I suspect (but don't know for sure) that this change was introduced around the same time as NMW, as another rule of the PW scheme is that you must be paid at least NMW. Not sure how it works for the self-employed these days. I think for that you'd be looking at Test Trading rather than PW, but I don't know.

Thanks but looking at the DWP website a few minutes ago it still shows £20 a week with no limitation on hours worked.

Thanks but looking at the DWP website a few minutes ago it still shows £20 a week with no limitation on hours worked.

Maybe I'm misremembering - it was a long time since I did my training. In practical terms, with NMW at £6 or so, there is a de facto limit on hours even if the regs don't specify one.