Do I Have To Pay Deceased Dads Debts ****Resolved****

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4307 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I have been told that I am liable for any monies owing by my Dad to Thames Water. Insurance policies did not even cover funeral costs so where do I go from here? As I informed them of his death, they have taken my details and sent me the bill in my name. Any help please on where I stand legally would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou

Debgirl

I dont think you are responsible for your father's debts.

Are you living in the property that the water bill was invoiced to when your father was alive?

I will try and find someone who will be able to advise ..

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

No I am not living in the property citizenB. It was council owned.

Excellent.

Site team are aware of your query.. someone will be with you as soon as they can.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I'm fairly sure that isn't the case. I think because you've informed them, they think that you can pay the bill. Debt's aren't transferable from individual to individual to the best of my knowledge.

But first you need to contact them again, and ask them how and why they think they can transfer the debt.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/moneytaxandbenefits/managingdebt/debtsandarrears/dg_10013093

Much appreciated :-)

Hi. I have recently lost my Dad too, so I send my thoughts and prayers to you. It's a difficult enough time without added hassle.

My Dad died and left no will, only a small insurance policy (not enough to cover funeral). I informed all parties immediately of his passing. DWP paid a couple of payments into his and mums acct. then asked for her to pay it back. I was told on here that mum didn't have to repay it as it was in Dads name and it went towards the funeral. I wrote them a letter and mum got a call saying she would not be asked to repay it again as it was illegal for them to do so.

If your dad left no assets (house is mortgaged so I am not sure who this will affect you) then you don't have to find the water bill. Like I said, I am not sure on the house transfer so someone else will be along shortly to deal with that for you.

rebel11

Thanks for that :-)

I will phone them again and see what they have to say?

It has taken 3 calls already just to get a final balance, as they repeatedly sent estimated bills:mad2:

Just explain to them that your father died intestate - and that you are NOT responsible for his bills. You want to know under what right/authority they can simply transfer the bill into your name and expect it to be paid.

• Confused 1

BCOBS

The Estate is liable for the deceased debts. Priority debts take precedence & Utilities are not priority debts, if there are insufficient funds from the Estate then that's the end of the story. Executors or relatives are not liable for them.

• Confused 1

This is happening a lot most of the water suppliers

seem to be under the illusion that their accounts are

priority debts, I think there have been some complaints

to OFFWat regarding this tactic, which is not only unfair

but very distressing for realtives.

• Confused 1

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

when my mum died, and she left me the house, I just had to furnish the credit card companies with a death certificate copy, and the bank with a copy, and they wrote the debts off.

I know it is hard to do, when you are grieving, but I had to stop them taking my mum's savings to pay the credit card. Right of appropriation, as I said my mum had the monies put aside for her funeral..... Good luck

LilythePink

If you liked what I said, and if it helped in any way, please tip my scales..... thank you:)

Thanks BRIGADIER2JCS

Maybe I should get on to OFFWAT too?

Just seems astonishing that they seem to think they can get away with it. There are probably lots of people out there that just pay it, thinking they haven't a choice or not in the right frame of mind to deal with it.

Lost dad last year, its pants ain't it? You do not have to pay his debts. End of. Actually, I'm surprised the local authority hasn't dealt with this in the void process on the Council house. (getting it ready for relet).

I would put in writing to the water company how it is, and don't forget to let them know how much they have distressed you at this difficult time.

Chin up, it can't get much worse ay?

Well done - please keep us updated :)

One less stress for you to deal with at such a sad time.

BCOBS