Advice please - Bank charges - for paying bank charges....

NJFuller
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4281 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I'm just about to leave Santander (Metro Bank - in case you're curious). However, they have hammered the final nail into their coffin this month.

The month before last I received some (fair) bank charges for going over my limit -about £35.

Santander took these out on circa 16th of the month, at which point there was no money in my account - thus I went overdrawn.

The next month they charged me - again - for going overdrawn,

when my bank charges were taken out (no other occasions).

I seem to recall it being against policy for a bank to 'charge for charge' or equivalent, in cases such as this example.

before I call them tomorrow I wanted to ask if anyone has any information regarding this.

Would greatly appreciate any guidance

NJ

BCOBS

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks very much...

• Treating bank-imposed charges as unauthorised - ( has already conceded as a "gesture of goodwill" on this BCOBS point)
  • Levying charges upon charges - (RBS has already conceded as a "gesture of goodwill" on this BCOBS point)

No - no overdraft whatsoever I'm afraid. Is this good or bad...? :)

I've just browsed through BCOBS and am failing to find anything I can quote in relation to levying charged upon charges...

Yes, actually... I asked sometime in the last 8-12 weeks. I was told I could apply for a loan - didn't want to. In fairness my credit is only just on the way up..

To be clear - I was refused an overdraft. I did have a £2,500 overdraft years ago with Santander / Abbey - which I cleared. Same account. No issues with it, they calle me one day about 5 years ago and asked me to start reducing it by £80 ish per month. I agreed and it got cleared.

Remember this is me and not legal advice, it is what I would do.

If you don't have an overdraft that can be used when there aren't enough funds to pay a bill, they should not have paid that bill. After refusing you the facility, they have forced without an agreement a loan on you without discussing terms and conditions.

As you are moving anyway, i would tell them that 'they' made the overdraft and must absorb any charges associated with it. Send it by recorded delivery.

Make sure your deposits are going into Metro before you stick the middle finger up to them, they will take it otherwise.

Edited by Conniff

Hi all,

I spoke with Santander this evening who are refusing to refund any charges, to cancel futures charge etc.. -

The tail above develops and it transpires that the £85 being charged this month is actually £5 per day for being overdrawn - from when they took me overdrawn with their charges last month.

I have moved bank accounts as of about now. Meaning that no more salary will go into Santander and no more direct debits will go out. My current balance on the account is £1.something.

• So - on 15th May some reasonable charges went out, taking me overdrawn
  • On 16th June I was charged £45 for going overdrawn, when my charges went out of 15th May
  • On 16th July I will be charged £5 per day for being overdrawn when my charges went out 16th June. - Totaling £85

In theory - left untouched - now that I am not using my account, it will spiral very quickly post July charging £5 per day from that period onwards. Within 12 moths I'll be overdrawn by c£1800.

Could I ask what the next, best course of action would be? I'm happy to pen a letter to whoever it may be. NB: I have already sent an email (through formal complaints channels) last month, regarding the 1st set up chrages-upon-charges in June.

Thanks in advance

NJ :-x