style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3232 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone

I know that has come up in the past before, but for different reasons. I received a PCN for driving in the bus lane.

In the photo that I've attached, you can see how the solid lane of the bus lane ends with a broken line. This is followed by a bus stop and immediately followed by a left turn.

This was the first time I had ever use this road. I realized I was turning left, checked the lane next to me and what I saw was a staggered line followed by the bus stop, so I turned into the lane.

In this case, I should have realized that the bus stop had a solid white lane, indicating a bus lane, but surely a case can be made that the road markings are ambiguous? The fact that this is the 3rd highest fine generator in the Merton borough suggests that I'm not the only one who thinks so.

Here is the google map link.

bus lane.jpg

Don't really see why the words 'Bus Stop' are painted in the lane just after the left turn where the broken lines are. There isn't a bus stop there! Also, there appears to be a lack of the wording 'Bus Lane' painted on the road surface prior to that point plus can't see much signage. I think you should appeal on those points. This may help; http://www.ticketfighter.co.uk/bus.htm

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Are we looking at the same picture Sam? I see a bus shelter with the words Bus Stop painted in the red lane in front of that shelter.

The bus lane looks correct to me, there is a dashed section to allow you to turn left before Tesco but the bus lane does not end until after the bus stop. Both lanes turn left it is a one way system so there would be no exemption to enter the bus lane to turn left.

A Bus Lane doesn't end until the blue sign which says 'End of Bus Lane' - in your google maps link I believe I can see it on the lamppost at the far end of the bus shelter level with the arrow painted on the road indicating the left turn.

If you want to check up on road markings - the following links take you to the relevant legislation;

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2002/3113/contents/made

a more user friendly version;

http://assets.dft.gov.uk/publications/traffic-signs-manual/traffic-signs-manual-chapter-05.pdf

(chapter 17 covers bus lanes)

Your best bet is to go back to the start of that bus lane where you have been issued the PCN for and check that the information signs for the bus lane and hours of operation are in place as required and not obstructed or defaced that may have mislead you to enter the bus lane.

Good Luck :-)

Are we looking at the same picture Sam? I see a bus shelter with the words Bus Stop painted in the red lane in front of that shelter.

This is a view about 100 yards back. No signage or 'Bus lane' painted on the road. Also, that's an advertising sign i think your's looking at Conniff, not a shelter.

https://www.google.com/maps?q=Elmwood+Road,+Mitcham,+London+Borough+of+Merton,+United+Kingdom&hl=en&ll=51.403975,-0.165329&spn=0.001106,0.00284&sll=51.400518,-0.154667&sspn=0.026586,0.066047&oq=elmwood+road,+m&hnear=Elmwood+Rd,+Greater+London+CR4,+United+Kingdom&t=m&layer=c&cbll=51.403897,-0.165343&panoid=BGeiL74DMfHdgDTEnEyY0w&cbp=12,39.2,,0,7.9&z=19

Please Note

Please Note

This is a view about 100 yards back. No signage or 'Bus lane' painted on the road. Also, that's an advertising sign i think your's looking at Conniff, not a shelter.

https://www.google.com/maps?q=Elmwood+Road,+Mitcham,+London+Borough+of+Merton,+United+Kingdom&hl=en&ll=51.403975,-0.165329&spn=0.001106,0.00284&sll=51.400518,-0.154667&sspn=0.026586,0.066047&oq=elmwood+road,+m&hnear=Elmwood+Rd,+Greater+London+CR4,+United+Kingdom&t=m&layer=c&cbll=51.403897,-0.165343&panoid=BGeiL74DMfHdgDTEnEyY0w&cbp=12,39.2,,0,7.9&z=19

Please Note

bus.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36636[/ATTACH]

No, not that one, this one; https://www.google.com/maps?q=Elmwood+Road,+Mitcham,+London+Borough+of+Merton,+United+Kingdom&hl=en&ll=51.404354,-0.164926&spn=0.001106,0.00284&sll=51.400518,-0.154667&sspn=0.026586,0.066047&oq=elmwood+road,+m&hnear=Elmwood+Rd,+Greater+London+CR4,+United+Kingdom&t=m&layer=c&cbll=51.404436,-0.164857&panoid=zHfUAV1kS5wWs82mIhiw_w&cbp=12,4.99,,0,-5.27&z=19

Please Note

Please Note

There must be a sign at the beginning of a bus lane and when there is a break in the bus lane NO SIGN NO BUS LANE but do check with the link provided http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2002/3113/contents/made and http://assets.dft.gov.uk/publications/traffic-signs-manual/traffic-signs-manual-chapter-05.pdf GOOD LUCK