Millions will have to pay to get Freeview TV

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4276 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

New 4G mobile phone network will leave people facing £200 bills to cut out interference

More than 2 million Freeview customers face bills of up to £212 – more than the cost of a year’s subscription to cable television – in order to pay for interference with signals caused by the 4G mobile network.

Freeview and the BBC last night told The Independent of their anger at the Government’s apparent determination to dump the costs of installing signal filter equipment on householders rather than the mobile phone companies which will enjoy huge financial benefit from the introduction of 4G next year.

Estimates suggest that between 2.3m and 3m households – within 2km of 4G transmitters - face interference with their television pictures, with some losing their signals entirely.

“If you don’t have a filter you literally won’t be able to watch television. You will get very significant pixelation and the picture will break up and you won’t be able to carry on watching Freeview. They are stopping people watching Coronation Street,” said Ilse Howling, managing director of Freeview. “It will cause interference for a large number of Freeview homes and we are really concerned about that. We think the Government has got this wrong and this is really unfair.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/millions-will-have-to-pay-to-get-freeview-tv-7899834.html

• Confused 1

Well, at least there's a Silver Lining to it :wink:
i would rep+1 if i knew how, this def deserves it...

seriously though,

freeview, even though advertised as free forever, has never been free... remember the TV license that funds the BBC, and was also used to fund the switch over by license increases, rushed through by the government...

and mobile operators always get away with crap, as if uk legislation doesnt apply to them...

but its always us the UK public, who are "struggling" to pay bills that suffer... I bet those on JSA who dont work will get the filters for free though!!!

Off-topic discussion moved to here - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?358273-Off-topic-discussion-moved-to-BG&p=3909455&viewfull=1#post3909455

........ to leave this thread back on-topic

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

• 2 weeks later...

either way... I had to get my aerial re-aligned when freeview turned on, hopefully i dont have to get it done again (although i can do it myself, its a hassle)... but considering the amount of money the mobile comms will make, its absolutely appaling that they dont have to pay for the "damages" the new tech will cause... (even if its just £40 for a local aerial guy to come and replace some coax and alter the direction of your aerial... its £40 too much for the end user to have to fork out IMHO.)

also, consider the fact that 4g may well be the end of the landline... the only reason I and many people i know have a landline being to get ADSL... if i can get a decent internet speed from my mobile (email, facebook, forums) then i will rid myself of the extra £20 a month, (i rarely use over 300mb data transfer a month. so i could easily teather my mobile with a 500mb plan)

What if I don't? Why should I pay extra?

Communicatiions companies will make a fortune, they should pay to fix problems they will create... not the end users...

(not sure what you are refering to exactly, but im assuming my "they should pay the damages"?

Communicatiions companies will make a fortune, they should pay to fix problems they will create... not the end users...

(not sure what you are refering to exactly, but im assuming my "they should pay the damages"?

Yes.

I don't suppose there's any chance that this blackout could commence Friday 28/7/2012 and last for approximately 5 weeks, then back to normal...perleez !

You can do this yourself. It's called the "off" button.

Seriously though, why shouldn't those who benefit, and presumably afford, 4g be the ones to pay?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hang on a minute here. Was there not a heck of a lot of 'spaceship' adverts telling us it's 'free forever'? I'd assume that as Ofcom want bids for 4G they also (aka typical govermental quango) want to not dimish the possibility of a better offer than the £22 million for 3G? To be honest the saying appears true, 'Once the government get involved it fails'! Not many things over many years that this has not been the simple truth is it? :violin:

Michael

When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is. (Oscar Wilde)

--I like to be helpful wherever possible however I'm not qualified in this field. I do consider carefully anything important (normally from personal experience) however please understand that any actions taken are at your own risk--

remember the whole NHS central database? when my wife was in labour on sat 21st, they had somebody looking aroundd the hospital for the "lost notes"... it appears they were not lost, but infact most hospitals dont bother to computerise patient records, they were looking for her previous pregnancy notes, which were in birmingham hospital... so what a waste of millions on the computer systems for this to "ease medical care"... something else the government introduced and spent our cash on eh :)

but honestly, i dont see a problem with passing the cost onto the end user, as i said, if its decent, i will use it. :p

Hold on a minute folks & don't panic. With the current rate of progress by Ofcom you won't be getting 4G until sometime in the distant future future 2015 /2016? By then Humax & co will have built any filters required into their boxes anyway.

BTW - forget 4G it would be better to roll out 2G & 3G properly - especially in the rural areas.:!:

BTW - forget 4G it would be better to roll out 2G & 3G properly - especially in the rural areas.:!:

i believe that 4g will use the same network towers as 3g, and will mean greater signal in rural areas (hence the gov support) - not a lot of work on the side of the operators, but lots of benefits...

most of the tech will revolve around new handsets... and "firmware upgrades" to existing network equipment...

I wondered why just recently I was having a problem all of a sudden with my TV signal, I put it down to the strong winds we had as most of the channels were pixelating and driving me crazy.:mad2: I initially blamed the digital TV switchover as I never suffered from pixelation on the old analogue signal.

I only had a new aerial and cable put up a year ago so I called out the aerial man who tested it and informed me it was not the aerial but I needed a filter which he installed and cost me another £70, my TV has worked ok ever since.

I wonder if I can sue anyone for the inconvenience and cost ....... ?:|

@SC867

DO NOT BELIEVE THAT... Freesat does not have 5* fiver etc... they are in contract with sky... :)

lots of freeview channels dont show on freesat yet ;)

(i have a sky pay once watch forever, and complained to sky, they offered to include them for £10 a month) I said nah, your ok, ill just use freeview or remote eye off my other sky boxes :p)

We lived in a rented house for a while which only had sky so used freesat. It wasn't a patch on freeview.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Did you have a freeview card in tho? Without a freeview card the channels are seriously cut I believe... Ask IdaInFife but I believe you need to do something to receive true freesat via sky.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Yes we had a freesat card. It wouldn't work without one, but were glad to get back to our own home with freeview.