3 Mobile Debt I don't owe – Lowell and now Provident at my door

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4310 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I had a contract with 3 between march 2005-06 paid it up in full and cancelled the direct debit, I thought that would be the end of it. Fast forward two years and 3 have Lowell chasing me for some ridiculous amount which I ignore due to not owing it. Since 2008 I’ve had a number of companies chasing me and all have given up. Today I received a letter from Provident stating they have acquired the legal rights to the debt, offering me a fresh start loan (for a debt I don’t owe) threatening me in a polite way with one of their doorstep agents.

Thing is I know for sure this would be statute barred now but I don’t know whether I should respond in writing after staying silent for over 6 years. I didn’t want to respond in fear of opening the flood gates of phone calls and letters. Should I respond with the doorstep letter, stat barred letter or a combination?

No what has happened here, is that the debt is officially dead (statute barred). The debt has just been passed on to Provident to see if they can get you to take out a loan. All you need to tell Provident is that you do not need a loan and they should stop contacting you or you will complain to the OFT.

I had this with a relatives catalogue debt and Provident were just told not to bother. Nothing was ever heard again.

Dubious practice, selling statute barred debts off to a loan company, offering a loan for which no proper explanation is given. They have been doing this for a number of years and I am surprised the OFT has not stopped this.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hi thanks for the reply. Think I’ll wait and see if someone does show up, politely tell them get lost and hand them a copy of the doorstep letter. Confirmed it last night after trawling through a mountain of letters and statements that my final bill was paid in March 2006. After the hard line threat tactics i’ve had from Freds and Carter Provident can keep their friendly agents, 0% loan and “affordable” £21.60 weekly payment lol.

Hi thanks for the reply. Think I’ll wait and see if someone does show up, politely tell them get lost and hand them a copy of the doorstep letter. Confirmed it last night after trawling through a mountain of letters and statements that my final bill was paid in March 2006. After the hard line threat tactics i’ve had from Freds and Carter Provident can keep their friendly agents, 0% loan and “affordable” £21.60 weekly payment lol.

With my relatives debt, a phone call was just made saying don't bother and they didn't. I believe that the Provident agents are self employed and if they come to the door, then they might be a bit fed up.

If you have evidence of the bill being paid, you should make a complaint to 3 mobile and if the default was on your credit record, it would have affected your rating. It is possible that you had been paying a higher interest on credit cards for example, as a result of this false reporting.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I did contact three when this all started in 2008 and got nowhere fast, they stated I missed a bill but they couldn’t tell me when or how as they didn’t have the detials. Over the phone they were a nightmare email’s were pointless and in the end they told me to deal with Lowell. At this point I just started ignoring.

Funny thing is I had two accounts (2 phones) which were taken out at the same time and paid on the same bill but only one of these accounts has this outstanding amount. If I’m honest ive never checked my credit history but I don’t have much debt, a couple of phones tv etc but I’ve never had any issues.

Renter their pathetic complaints procedure and exhaust it, then get onto otelo to investigate and have 3 fined.

As fro Provi trying to con you into getting a loan, even though you don't owe anything, goes completely in the face of the OFT and their guidelines, they expressly state that you are NOT to be encouraged to take out further debt to pay off a debt, this is why these doorstep loan sharks need to be pulled up and quick.

Complain to the OFT and I would also make a formal complaint to Provi using their own complaints process.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!