• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

*** RBS - proof of I.D. before SAR request ***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4142 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I've just received a letter from RBS regarding an SAR I have requested.

The letter states that -

'as you no longer hold an account with us, to protect you from fraud, we need to verify your identity before the request can be completed. Please send three month' original bank statements or an original utility bill, dated within the last six months showing your current address. We are unable to accept credit card statements, copy documents or mobile telephone bills.'

Although I understand I do have to provide the info I'm struggling to provide originals as I only receive a Credit Card statement on paper which I am unable to use. All other statements are online which means I have to copy them. The letter does say that -

'Copy Documents WILL be accepted if officially stamped and signed by a Solicitor or a Natwest or RBS branch'. Is this true? I'm not considering going to a Solicitor but I will copy some bank statements from my Lloyds Current Account and take them to a local branch so long as I don't turn up and get refused.

The last possible sticking point is the claim that they cannot guarantee they will be able to trace my account as it may have been closed for a longer period than their records are retained. My account with Style/Envy ran from March 2003 to February 2006 so is just outside the obligatory 6 years.

A couple of SAR's I have received have gone back further than 6 years but it may be RBS are letting me know that even if I do provide the necessary proof of I.D. I still may not get the statements.

The reason I am requesting an SAR is RBS have 'made an offer, accepting no liability' but it is lower than I expected though I have no proof. Thought it best to find some proof before going back!

If I can try refute any current and future problems RBS will provide it should make things easier when I go back to refuse their offer,

any thoughts???

Tenmen10

They are right in asking as you are no longer their customer.

Arrange to collect the data from your local branch and take ID

with you.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Have you checked with the Information Commissioner as to the ID proof they are requesting - I realise that they are entitled to request proof of ID if you dont have a relationship with them.

However, if they have made you an offer (presumably in respect of PPI or charges) Surely that is proof enough of your identity :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi BrigadierJ2CS & CitizenB,

sorry for the delay but I've got a lot going on at the moment -

I'm quite happy to try and provide some proof of ID unfortunately most of my statements are online so need to be copied.

BrigadierJ2CS, I've read a few of your entries and understand your point I'm just concerned as CitizenB has pointed out that they are happy enough to send me an offer to the same address they are now asking proof of ID for. I suppose it must be the degree to which they will just send data without leaving themselves open to trouble in future?

I'd rather go through any possible future stumbling blocks now before getting documents copied & signed for, then RBS bringing another element into play.

Thanks as always,

Tenmen10

I guess that they see making an offer to you cannot breach

the DPA whereas sending personal financial data without

proper checks could leave them open, the collection of docs

like this is usually trouble free I think.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Brigadier2JCS,

yeah makes sense, I've requested some copies of Bank statements from Lloyds/TSB this morning so should be ready to get them signed at RBS sometime next weekend,

cheers

Tenmen10

• 2 weeks later...

Right,

I’vereceived my statements from Lloyds/TSB to use as verification as asked I justneed to get them signed.

I’vealso just typed out a cover letter, what do you guys think?

Thankyou for your letter dated 30th June 2012.

Asyou have requested I have enclosed three months bank statements dated withinthe last six months showing my current address. As these statements are copies receivedfrom Lloyds/TSB I have taken the time to have the statements officially stampedand signed by an RBS/Natwest branch. This is in accordance with the requestmade in your letter, a copy of which has also been enclosed.

Alsoin accordance with your letter I have resubmitted a copy of my SAR request anda cheque for the sum of £10 to cover your fee.

Pleasebe aware of the following points from the enclosed SAR if you are unable tofind my account details;

· Where any previous information or recordsheld have been deleted or disposed of, the methods used to do so, includingdates, certificates or references confirming details of destruction. Where youare unable to provide such certificates, please provide a declaration, signedby an authorised officer of your company, confirming the dates and methods ofdestruction of this data.

· Full hard copy print outs of my personal orfinancial information, held in a digital, magnetic or any other format which isheld in any archives, backups or other storage devices / locations.

Althoughyou have had over the 40 days from receiving the original request to comply Iam happy to give RBS a further 14 days to retrieve the information.

Thankyou in advance,

Yoursfaithfully,

Tenmen10

Thats two letters ready to go, this seems to be taking forever!!!

Cheers everyone

Tenmen10

Sadly, sometimes it does need some staying power... Banks are continually finding more ways in which to stall and stress the consumer in their quest for information.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Well,

it took two branches of Natwest, a couple of lengthy chats and the best part of an hour but I finally got my Lloyds/TSB documents signed. Its incredible the amount of idiots who work for banks - to be asked "what is an SAR?" after five minutes of insisting I was within my rights for the documents to be signed and them insisting otherwise would almost be funny if not for the fact I have to have my wages paid to these institutes.

I just hope that RBS now don't turn around and give me the old "its over 6 years & we've destroyed the records" line!!!

off we go again,

Tenmen10

• 1 month later...

Hi again,

it seems after all the above RBS have now 'lost' my SAR request delivered for a second time by Recorded Post a few weeks ago. They have no record of receiving it but have stated "our Manchester office is a big building" and their Customer Complaints department have nicely apologised which of course makes everything OK . . . . I'm now happy and my life complete(!).

My PPI complaints now all seem to be heading the way of the Ombudsman which unfortunately looks to take some time but both my complaints so far have had a promising initial response from the FOS. Without hearing from the banks concerned they would look to uphold my complaints. Looks like it could be next year by the time anything is resolved though,

Tenmen10

If you have proof of receipt from the RM website and they have indeed lost/mislaid whatever, your request and this is the 2nd time of sending. Then I would first make an official complaint to their Head/Registered office.

I would then make a complaint to the Information Commissioner. The size of their building is irrelevant. They should have a proper system for logging in mail which is then directed to the correct office. Quite frankly I find their response is disgraceful.

Keep an eye on the postal order/cheque to see if it is cashed ? If a postal order you sent then you will need to know for sure because you will obviously want to have that money refunded. If you have proof the letter was delivered then you are not able to make a claim on the post office.

BCOBS

Hi Brigadier2JCS/CitizenB

yes I have been able to print off my electronic proof of delivery - the woman I spoke with seemed to find this irrelevant hence the "big building" statement. Just we are sorry this has happened. I have already had to have some bank statements sent from Lloyds then get them signed at a Natwest in order for them to even deal with this SAR claim.

The first time I sent the SAR they did receive it but because the account was closed they asked for the above statements to clear themselves. No cheque has been cashed.

CitizenB who are the Information Commisioner??? Thats a new one on me!

Tenmen10

The Information commissioner deals with Data Protection issues.

http://www.ico.gov.uk/

They cant award any damages - can only advise if the Bank has behaved improperly. If they do accept the bank has not complied with your DSAR request properly then they will write and tell you so. This will be of value in that if damage is caused then their decision can be raised as evidence in any court action you might want to issue against the bank.

BCOBS

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

I've had a bit of time off from PPI to deal with other matters but it seems RBS are proving a hard nut to crack so here we go again.

As CitizenB suggested I contacted the Information Commission and spoke with a gent who said they would take up a complaint based on what I had told him. I have since received an information pack from the I.C & replied with as much proof as I could.

I also, as suggested, sent a complaint to the RBS Head Office in Edinburgh though I have not heard back from them as yet.

Finally, I have sent another SAR request to RBS who have this week replied that due to my account being closed for over 6 years they have no record of me or any accounts I may have had. Could I please provide them with more information?

The fact that I have provided them with all reference numbers THEY have given to my claim and the fact that back in June they actually had enough information about me to offer me some money (goodwill gesture) seems to be irrelevent.

I've already got 5 claims now going through the FOS but I really do want RBS to suffer for this and don't want to give up now but I just seem to be treading water. I'm actually considering going through the courts but I understand the onus of proof is on me and without an SAR I'm struggling - plus confused!

Anyone else out there had similar issues which they've managed to get around?

Tenmen10 :violin:

Sadly yes, although quicker, if you were to issue a claim against the Bank you would need to prove your claim and there have been some rather contraversial decisions recently :(

BCOBS

Cheers CitizenB,

by controversial I presume you mean ruling in the banks favour?

I've just re-read my reply from RBS and it seems my complaint I sent to the Head Office in Edinburgh has been sent back down to Southend-on-Sea and thats where the reply is from. Not even an acknowledgement of my complaint regarding them losing my last SAR.

I'll copy and post everything I have from them again with a letter pointing out their continuous failings and if theres no luck I'll go through the FOS, if it takes 12 months or so then i'll wait - the FOS have already said I have a good case but I was hoping to get it done quicker and without involving them.

If RBS do come back and say they have no data how much back-up do I have regarding my SAR, it says that if data has been deleted the methods used must be stated etc, etc. How much notice does a bank have to pay to this, or would this be a question for the Information Commission?

Cheers again CitizenB

Tenmen10